PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy this kinda bike stuff?

Sunny
November 15th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Ok, so its time for me to get off my lazy butt and change oil, plugs, etc. instead of saying I dont have the time and taking it down to the shop. The 'ol F3 needs it.

Rather than painfully search :mad: thru' a multidude of websites, I'm hoping that some of your gearheads can eyeball my list and say go to www.....com. (http://www.....com.) (I'm hoping for one stop shopping even if its not the cheapest)

1. Throttle meister (Geek?)
2. Oil filter (K&N vs. runOfMill - any opinion?) , oil, gasket, drain-pan, etc.
3. Spark Plugs.
4. Air filter.
5. Decent tire pressure gauge (which one?)
6. Mechanix gloves.

Am I missing anything for the typical oil and plug change? Is anybody doing any wrenching anytime soon? Oil and plug change can't be too hard, :confused: but I'm sure you fellas can teach a shortcut or two...

Thanks.

Hood Ornament
November 15th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Drain pan, Mechanix gloves, good tire guage - Pep Boys

Spark plugs, oil filter (I like OEM or Emgo),gaskets, air filter - Competition Accessories (Great prices on OEM stuff)

Throttlemeister -
Throttlemeister (http://www.throttlemeister.com/)

Jeff Roberts
November 16th, 2001, 11:59 AM
A good while back I bought a nice pressure gauge (maker? - I've forgotten at the moment) as I keep tabs on 20 tires in my little home fleet. I spent about 15 bucks on the thing and thought I was really 'doing it right.' After a (long) period of time using it, and ignoring the fact that my truck tires squeeled when I turned, the boat trailer tires didn't look quite right, the cycle felt a bit mushy and so on, but hey, I had a fancy $15 pressure gauge so what's the problem?

After awhile I go to get new cycle tires put on and the mechanic says 'do you wheelie this thing' I say, um 'no.' So he says, 'then you're riding around on underinflated tires, see this cupping?' Then I start getting defensive - 'blah blah blah do you know how often I check tire pressure? I've got 20 tires I take care of blah blah.'

Then I think about it for awhile, maybe the gauge is hosed(?). So I chuck in the trash. Then about half a day goes by and it hits me, maybe the thing needs to be calibrated (ding!). Out I go, dig is out of trash and pull the back off, sure enough, I fool around with a little screw down inside for awhile and do some checks against a cheapo gauge I had laying around. Presto, it was reading about 4-5 pounds higher than was actually in the tire. What a bummer, that REALLY pissed me off.

I wonder how much money I spent in premature tire wear because I simply could not believe the expensive guage was screwed up or at least was not right.

I must admit, I continue to use the cheap gauge because I don't trust the other, what if I knock it good one on the ground? Do I have to recalibrate? Calibrate it to what? I've just not had comparable problems with the dime store version.

Sunny
November 17th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Interesting story, Jeff. I'm actually going the other way cause the el cheapo guage was off quite a bit. I had checked the pressure before going to the last track day, and then checked with some of the racer guys more expensive gauges (I tried a couple of them to be sure) and I was off by 8 psi.

I guess the bottom line is to keep that thing calibrated (not an option on the el cheapo, of course).

F1
November 17th, 2001, 06:42 PM
I agree, my elcheapo was 3 psi off, now I hace a semi elcheapo ($9 from Walmart), seems consistant so far! 5% variation is typical, more than 5% is pushing it, getting a benchmark reading is the most difficult.

Faisal ZX-6R :cool: