PDA

View Full Version : RC51 Lovers, drool on this...

breeno
December 14th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Nicky's New Fly Ride (http://www.amasuperbike.com/showPic?src=/image/2001ama/tiretest/medium/018.jpg&w=659&h=474)

Dammmmnnn ... ttrick lookin' ride!

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: breeno ]

Geek
December 14th, 2001, 06:22 PM
What's all that stuff around his front brake caliper?

breeno
December 14th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Man, I was wondering the same thing when I was checking this thing out ... telemetry maybe? An extra caliper piston on the edge of the disk?? hmmmm :rolleyes:

Geek
December 14th, 2001, 11:13 PM
That's what I was thinking.. I know they've done dual disks side by side before but maybe then went to an innner/outer disc system. It'd make sense because with the outer disk added you wound not have to beef up the spokes at all as braking force is directly distributed on the rim.

What sucks is they take all that trick (expensive) **** off for the "actual race bikes" they have at the bike show :(

Pod
December 17th, 2001, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geek:
(expensive) **** off for the "actual race bikes" they have at the bike show :(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just become a high-dollar racer, Geek.

I don't see what you guys are talking about, all I see is what looks like smaller front rotors...

Dave Whitson
December 17th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Now you can see a little closer that there is something goin on there.........Nevermind :rolleyes:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Ab/jz/za/s246335.jpg

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: FZR Dave ]

RideRed
December 17th, 2001, 11:37 AM
What are you guys smokin?
That's the left side caliper and rotor you're seein through the wheel. Even on the enlargement, I still don't see anything special. Someone help me here....

There's not a second rotor on the same side? Is this some kind of "Magic Eye" thing? I must be third eye blind. :)

el Prez

breeno
December 17th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Just the back of the other caliper, now that I've seen dave's enlarged version.

Anyone else drooling over Gobert's R7's radial Brembo setup at the show? that's the good stuff... :cool:

Dave Whitson
December 17th, 2001, 02:06 PM
It's an optical dilusion http://www.contrabandent.com/pez//contrib/lilly/aha1blue.gif

Blame it on the rain :D

Pod
December 17th, 2001, 02:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBRian Whalen:
What are you guys smokin?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew, I thought I was losing it...

jester
December 17th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Those radial calipers are the BOMB.. Tho from what I've read they don't do quick change wheels very well and so can't be used at Daytona200 :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breeno:

Anyone else drooling over Gobert's R7's radial Brembo setup at the show? that's the good stuff... :cool:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RideRed
December 17th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Help out a dumb guy.... What's a "radial caliper?" One shaped in an arc? I mean, mine are already. At least the ones on my 900RR and RC51. They have a curve to them, they're not square.

I guess when yoy have a 6 potter, you have to bend the caliper shape more in an arc to have the pads touch everywhere. Is this what you all are talking about?

Thanks.

el Prez

breeno
December 17th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Here's a pic of radial mounts... (http://www.amasuperbike.com/showPic?src=/image/2001ama/tiretest/1/121001o.jpg&w=600&h=450)

...and another... (http://www.amasuperbike.com/showPic?src=/image/2001ama/tiretest/final/DSCN1490.JPG&w=800&h=737)

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: breeno ]

bvia
December 17th, 2001, 09:03 PM
As Breen's url'ed pics showed, a radial mounted caliper has the mounting bolts clamped radially(or perpendicular...bolt head facing the rider's knee)to the axle as opposed to a "normal" mount calipers bolts which are parallel to the axle.

This is said to reduce the amount of flex that occurs when the brakes are first applied AND to redirect that flex in a radial fashion (around and in-line with the disc), as opposed to our brakes, which flex inward and outward of the disc's plane...super-fly, WSB/AMA Brembo setup we won't see for a few more years.

Bill

p.s. The brake master cylinders that go with them are just as chubby-inducing! Titanium with a swivel to ensure no broken levers...and everything that can be is adjustable on 'em

breeno
December 18th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Thanks, Dr Bill, well spoken...

FWIW, I've got one of them there brembo GP pump master cylinders on my race bike ... oh my, and are those things suuuuuweet! Nice feel. Levers are a ***** to replace though, and they don't - ahem - crash all that well.

Headman
December 18th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Great explanation Bill. I was still a bit confused until your post.

Breeno, what say we get the Idiots bike set up that way? smile.gif

'Course, I bet that setup costs more than our entire bike. :(

-Head

RideRed
December 20th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Ahhh... the light.... I see the light!

It's so basic, but it took creating a whole new fork with non-standard castting at the bottom to pull that change off. I bet Brembo is pretty tight with Ohlins to get this done.

Why don't you see the Brakking rim-mounted rotors (the ones that are bolted to the rim, not the hub) that are like 16" wide on Superbikes? Talk about swept area and maximum applied torque on a spinning wheel! I would have though THAT would be the hot setup.

Any one have a clue why?

Bri

bvia
December 20th, 2001, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBRian Whalen:
Ahhh... the light.... I see the light!

It's so basic, but it took creating a whole new fork with non-standard castting at the bottom to pull that change off. I bet Brembo is pretty tight with Ohlins to get this done.

Why don't you see the Brakking rim-mounted rotors (the ones that are bolted to the rim, not the hub) that are like 16" wide on Superbikes? Talk about swept area and maximum applied torque on a spinning wheel! I would have though THAT would be the hot setup.

Any one have a clue why?

Bri<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like "Whatever Ducati Corse wants, Ducati Corse gets." because if memory serves me correctly, Foggy was the first WSB rider to use radially mounted Brembo brakes (Nissin has a set also) in anger at Assen in the mid-late 90's on the fractional cc'ed 955/56/85something or other.

I'd bet the Braking rim mounted rotor is just too "new" or possible too heavy (within the current WSB material spec rules) to give any benefit to a racer's brake setup.

Also there might be a problem of using carbon discs(FIM) so close to the tire (brakes glow red, tire goes boom...maybe)

and of course the obvious possibility of damaging/fouling the rotor while going through a gravel trap...

This is gonna be a cool year for FIM/WSB tech freakes!
bill