PDA

View Full Version : FAIRING REPAIRS

DavidManning
December 15th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I picked up some used race fairings for my ZX-7R. Before I paint, I want to fill some dents, cracks, and flaking of the material. Any idea who I might go to for that? Can I do it on my own with some kind of resin and sandpaper? I had a boat fiberglass place tell me it was going to be $70/hr. for them to do the work...yikes. Any suggestions?

----Dave Manning

Pod
December 16th, 2001, 01:38 PM
depends on what you are wanting to do with it. You can repair it, though you'll screw it up the first few times you try.
I've found that 90% of the time it's better and cheaper to just buy good used bodywork on the CMRA boards or Ebay.
I forget if it's Head or JOhn Orchard that's doing body repairs right now-- ask them tho.
Joe

Headman
December 17th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Fiberglassing bodywork is easy. You can pick up a fiberglass kit at AutoZone for about $10 or $15 bucks. Having said that, since I race, and have been known to hit the ground a time or two, I'm a "function over form" kinda guy. It doesn't gotta look pretty. It just needs to hold everthing together as I breach Mach 1 on the track. smile.gif JohnO however considers it an art form, and makes his **** look real perty. Good luck tryin' to get his help though. Brotha can't even help an Idiot out. :rolleyes:

-Chris
Village Idiots Endurance Team

breeno
December 17th, 2001, 10:56 AM
I agree with Pod, if your looking for nice stuff, go get some nice stuff... ;)

For what it sounds like you are looking to do, you don't need a fiberglass repair kit -- which is what you'd need if there were tears or broken stuff -- ya need a filler kit.

That's really pretty easy to do, but like all things, its easy to get it to look OK, much harder to make it look GREAT.