PDA

View Full Version : What I learned at MSF

jelliott25
December 19th, 2001, 06:48 PM
That it will be a long time before I show up at an SMR.

See you guys in 6 months to a year.

bvia
December 19th, 2001, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elliott P.:
That it will be a long time before I show up at an SMR.

See you guys in 6 months to a year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?
bill

jelliott25
December 19th, 2001, 07:59 PM
I was somewhat underwhelmed by my performance.

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Elliott P. ]

bvia
December 19th, 2001, 09:19 PM
how so?
bill

jelliott25
December 20th, 2001, 06:56 AM
I had a lot more trouble with the exercises than I had anticipated. Most of it mental, I think. I'm sure with practice I'll get better but I was really expecting to do better than I did.

I'm looking forward to getting my own bike and practicing the drills in the neighborhood parking lots.

RideRed
December 20th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Elliot,

You've got the perfect attitude to ride with us. You know your limits and capabilities, and ego is not your guide. I hope you will still decide to join the club, and participate in the non-riding things we do (meeting, movie-nights, Wrenchfests, etc). We're gonna be around a while, so don't rush it.
Your talent with come with time and practice.

Good Luck!

el Prez

Weave
December 20th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Oohhh, "el Prez". Can we expect some sort of Latin America dictatorship to follow? Viva la Che! :D

yellowducati900ss
December 20th, 2001, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weave:
Oohhh, "el Prez". Can we expect some sort of Latin America dictatorship to follow? Viva la Che! :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latin Dictatorship? That would assume that there is someone who would want to overthrow the current government. Who in their right mind would want to be in charge of you people. :eek:

Elliot. Brian is right, you have the right attitude. Besides, there are plenty of us who would be more than willing to take you out on a Saturday and ride with you at your pace and help you learn.

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: yellowducati900ss ]

F1
December 20th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Did I hear "Saturday Ride" :cool:

I could let Elliot ride the 6R in a parking lot, practice makes perfect.

Faisal ZX-6R

jelliott25
December 20th, 2001, 10:30 AM
I think that me on a 6R would be a recipe for scratched fairings and broken turn signals.

:rolleyes:

jelliott25
December 20th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Actually I guess it wasn't all that bad. I didn't fall over or run into anyone.

My biggest problem was keeping my head up and not focusing all of my attention 3 feet in front of the tire. Everytime I forced my head up, things went pretty good. I was amazed at how hard it was to do that though.

In my car, I practice all the time, keeping my sight line way ahead and looking "through" the corners but once I got on the bike.....I don't know, I would just get tunnel vision to the ground.

I really wanted to blame all of my problems on the the pouring rain and the cold wind but, facts is facts and the fact is, it was just my brain.

bvia
December 20th, 2001, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faisal:
Did I hear "Saturday Ride" :cool:

Faisal ZX-6R<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He said he wanted to learn how to ride a _motorcycle_...;)&gt;
bill

bvia
December 20th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Actually I guess it wasn't all that bad. I didn't fall over or run into anyone.

My biggest problem was keeping my head up and not focusing all of my attention 3 feet in front of the tire. Everytime I forced my head up, things went pretty good. I was amazed at how hard it was to do that though.

In my car, I practice all the time, keeping my sight line way ahead and looking "through" the corners but once I got on the bike.....I don't know, I would just get tunnel vision to the ground.

I really wanted to blame all of my problems on the the pouring rain and the cold wind but, facts is facts and the fact is, it was just my brain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happens to the best of us. Lose concentration and bang, you're looking at the gravel instead of the apex/exit. On a good ride this only happens 10-20 times for me. It's all about concentration, focus, and the ability to continually override that self preservation streak embedded deep in the soul.

The beginner MSF class simply teaches you the fundamentals. You are responsible for bringing the talent(beats practicing), work ethic(practice makes up for lack of talent...I'm livin' proof) and a correct mental state (you're not the fastest, slowest or stupidest we've ever seen).

Get around those requirements and riding is simple. Throttle, brake, lean, repeat. Buy a bike and ride it. Everyday, everywhere.

bill

Nelson
December 20th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Elliot..it'll just take time. And when you're practicing on a bike, don't let anyone intimidate you...such as impatient cars tailing you (just let them pass) or if you're riding with someone that won't wait up for you.

Hey has anyone in TSBA ever suggested getting a video/book library for new riders or new racers. I thought it may be a good idea to have these resources available (for members only, of course). Just a thought.

I bought the Keith Code "Twist of the Wrist" video at the MC show. It's lame as hell, but has some good info. I was hoping to see what counter-steering really looked like.

-Nelson

DaJacker
December 20th, 2001, 12:20 PM

Can I ride it to Fassail? out on the road though, out in the open
:D :D tongue.gif

F1
December 20th, 2001, 12:30 PM
I think that me on a 6R would be a recipe for scratched fairings and broken turn signals.

:rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call me @ 214-549-6122, we might be able to figure something out.

Faisal ZX-6R

jelliott25
December 20th, 2001, 01:03 PM

Call me @ 214-549-6122, we might be able to figure something out.

Faisal,

Thanks a bunch for the VERY generous offer but I'm really planning on getting something in the next couple of weeks, here. Lay-offs be ****ed. If the MSF course did anything, it lit a fire under my *** to get my own bike. As cheesy as those 250 Nighthawks are, it was still great to be on one. Even if we never got out of 2nd gear.

I've just got to get all of this Holiday/relatives business out of the way so I can spend some time shopping. I still need to go to the DMV and get the M rating added to my license, too.

I had completely forgotten that I have "Twist of the Wrist" from years ago. I dug it out last night and have started reading it again. I see that there's a new edition of it available. Anybody know what's different between the two?

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Elliott P. ]

bvia
December 20th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Anybody know what's different between the two?

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Elliott P. ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TOTWII is geared more towards street, as opposed to track riding.
hth,
bill

F1
December 20th, 2001, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martys748:

Can I ride it to Fassail? out on the road though, out in the open
:D :D tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure Marty, but I would have to disable the front brakes first bwwaahaahaa

Faisal ZX-6R

:D