PDA

View Full Version : Tech help~SNAFU

Dmpc_TT
December 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I came home from a short ride this AM to find that when I stopped in my garage there appeared a large pool of oil under my left foot. The bike was in for service recently and it appears one of the breather hoses off the airbox came off. In the pics below there is a red cap on one of these breather box outlets(as there was on my other TT) the hose that came off appears to have been on the capped outlet. But next to it is an open outlet as seen in the 2nd pic. My question is this: Is there positive pressure
on these outlets? The oil came out of the hose that came off( it leads back to the right side of the engine) the capped airbox outlet. I know where the oil came from, now I want to know why. Besides the obvious "path of least resistance" answer.

Due to the sheer size of the pictures they will be destroyed for all time since resizing is too much work!

[ March 19, 2005, 12:19: Message edited by: Craig's ]

Glenn Sparkman
December 26th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Here's one idea; When in for service they overfilled the crankcase. If that happened, a lot of bikes vent to the airbox and the excess would end up there. With the hose disconnected, it's on the floor instead.

Dmpc_TT
December 26th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks Glenn, my thoughts also. Not to mention that the oil dipstick was pressurized and vented in a big way when I went to add oil. I think the hose was connected to the plugged vent, whereas the correct connection would be the non-plugged hole or there is no crankcase breather. I am swapping them as soon as my son and I spend some quality time fraggin hunters on Halo2.

YZF Cathy
December 26th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Question? Am I the only one here who has to scroll across to read a single line of text due to the oeversized picture? I can't see the pic either since it is so freaking huge.

Dmpc_TT
December 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM
If it good enough for Glenn is that not good enough for all?

Dmpc_TT
December 27th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Oh, and yes Cathy I have to scroll across also. Bigger is better, right? tongue.gif

Problem identified and corrected. Crankcase breather
connected to RED capped breather port by DEALER. Ensueing vacuum finally built enough pressure to back the hose off the breather port. Resulting in a vacuum release out of the hose all over my motorchickle.

[ December 27, 2004, 11:11: Message edited by: Craig's ]

YZF Cathy
December 27th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Ahh, well yes................bigger is better!

Gerry
December 28th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by YZF Cathy:
Ahh, well yes................bigger is better! Size(ist) tongue.gif

Dmpc_TT
March 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Well this problem never went away. I am sick at the outcome. It appears that the crankcase integrity has been breached at some mating surfaces. It is leaking at the crankcase halves and was leaking at an electrical sensor coming out of the case. Eurosport resealed that one. But, after bringing the bike home it is still leaking. It would seem that there was more than ample PSI to the damage. Pressurized crankcase = seal failure. I am going to write a letter to Eurosport. I just dont think I can effectively communicate what needs to be said right now to them verbally. I will post later with more. :mad:

PS
I rode the bike 4k from Oct until the 2nd week of December 04. It never leaked a drop and was running perfect until I left it at the dealer for warranty work. :mad: If I had thought out the possible damage scenario's prior to spending a couple of months troubleshooting I would have never touched it, and taken it straight back Eurosport.

[ March 19, 2005, 12:14: Message edited by: Craig's ]