PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a bike?

AmbeR1
January 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM
1st question:

Does anyone have experience with any freight companies....cost, logistics, crate provided, etc.?

2nd question:

I have heard that shipping companies charge significantly less if the freight can be dropped at a business location with a loading dock and forklift. I don't have one!! Anybody work at a small company that wouldn't mind shlepping my crate out of the truck and holding it until I can pick up the bike? Think maybe KTM in Haltom City would be so kind as to oblige? (considering I'm probably about to become a good parts customer??)

But, if the cost isn't really that much more I'd rather it be delivered to the house.

Hmmmm....

Tippytoes
January 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM
I know that bike dealers will oblige. I believe it costs inbetween 300-500 dollars. If KTM doesn't come through call Rob at Ducati, he will steer you the right direction.

Jen

sportbiker929
January 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
I have shipped 2 bikes with Allied. They have a warehouse in Plano. Its cheaper when you use a business address or even cheaper if you pick it up at their warehouse. They will put the bike on a large skid and strap it down. I shipped my 929 that I sold and also received my trackk bike through Allied. Very easy to use and they took great care of my goods. Its around 400 bones.

[ January 01, 2005, 19:22: Message edited by: sportbiker929 ]

Inlaw1
January 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM
I know a couple folks that have used Forward Air. (https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp) Very happy with the service. Check out the motorcycle specific containers. The only problem is if they have a hub in a shipping / recieving area you need.

rrutko
January 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM
I would personaaly avoid Forward Air as 90% of the frieght on thier dock is damaged in some way or another.But if you haave no other option get it insured. I pick up frieght there all the time. If you need a place to have it delivered that haas a dock let me know. My shop is in my mother's warehouse and I can have it recieved and stored there for free. Or if you need it recovered at a hub I can use my bobtail to pick it up and deliver to my warehouse or your place depending on time (if the hub closes early or not.) I drive for a drieght delivery company at the airport. There is a Forward Air hub at the airport as well. PM me if you have any questions.
Ryan

F1
January 1st, 2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by sportbiker929:
I have shipped 2 bikes with Allied. They have a warehouse in Plano. Its cheaper when you use a business address or even cheaper if you pick it up at their warehouse. They will put the bike on a large skid and strap it down. I shipped my 929 that I sold and also received my trackk bike through Allied. Very easy to use and they took great care of my goods. Its around 400 bones. Hey dude can you give me some details about Allied, someone in Oregon is interested in the Mille and asking me to ship it to him while he covers cost. I have 0 experience in this department.

sv-flyer
January 2nd, 2005, 05:40 AM
Hey AmbeR1, you tell us you need a loading dock but not what kind of bike you are receiveing. Are you going dirt riding or did you get a new DUKE ? :confused:

[ January 02, 2005, 05:40: Message edited by: Chuck C ]

AmbeR1
January 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Chuck C:
Hey AmbeR1, you tell us you need a loading dock but not what kind of bike you are receiveing. Are you going dirt riding or did you get a new DUKE ? :confused: Let's just say I plan to get down and dirty with it ;) :D

YZF Cathy
January 2nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Amber, you can always use my little truck to pick up your bike. It sits at the airport for days on end.

TFox
January 3rd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Whoa, doesn't the place where Edward works have a loading dock? I mean, I know it has a loading dock, so then the question is does Edward still work there?

Geek
January 3rd, 2005, 08:05 PM
The loading dock is piled to the ceiling with boxes. Since we started getting shipments from Taiwan it has become very crowded :(