PDA

View Full Version : Video cam and mount.

2WheelTiger
January 2nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
I've fabricated a camera mount for my R1 and FJR that allows me to use the Panasonic SV-AV100 solid state camcorder.

This is a camcorder that makes 30fps MPEG2 video with no moving parts. Depending on the image quality and the size of the SD memory card you have, it can record over an hour of video.

But the problem is, there is no tripod mount on the camera, so I had to fabricate a "shoe" that it can fit in.

In any case, here's a few pics of the cam next to a standard business card and the mounting rig. No, it's not beautiful, but I won't be taking pics of the mount while I'm riding.

It's shown on my R1. With the FJR, I'll need the camera much higher. I have an older style M/C camera mount that will "suction cup" to the white plate and the "shoe" will go on top of the mount.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/outrace/Vidcam006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/outrace/Vidcam009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/outrace/Vidcam004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/outrace/Vidcam002.jpg

Brad Felmey
January 2nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
What about the wind noise in the mic? Anything in mind to mitigate it?

Neat camera. When you get some action video, maybe you could share. I'd kinda like to see the quality. <hint>

2WheelTiger
January 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
The camera has a "wind cut" feature that's supposed to significantly reduce that kind of noise.

The mics are on the top rear of the camera, so you can see that there's about 4mm of foam and strap directly in front of them. Dunno whether that will increase or decrease the noise, but at least they won't be in the direct blast. If all else fails, I can tape them up and let the automatic gain pick up whatever's left.

And yes, I'll be happy to share. When it's not raining........

Tony L
January 2nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Looks good, but what about vibration. For the wind noise, I doubt the built in reducer will work very well. I had my remote mic incased in a 31dbr earplug, inside a roll of sock, inside my tank bag in the back corner; Yet you could still barely hear the bike for the wind.

If it has hand shake reducer, it works pretty well, and it looks like there is some sort of vibration reducing foam? under it. That's about all you can do, short of buying a bullet cam.

Post up the results after your maiden voyage.

[ January 02, 2005, 20:23: Message edited by: Tony L ]

Greg Sampson
January 3rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Seems like a bullet cam would be better since it can be placed anywhere on the bike. Still, the machine work on that piece is pretty nice. Is it billet?

2WheelTiger
January 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM
The main reason cameras fail in normal bike use is because vibration upsets the synchronization of the flying-head assembly. Speed differences in tape and loss of synch cause dropout that is seen and heard during playback.

I think you guys might be missing the point that this is a completely solid state camera. There is no tape. No flying head. No moving parts except the lens zoom assy. It records directly to a self contained 1GB SD card. Basically this is a battery, fold-out monitor, bullet camera, memory, and I/O all in one package.

I'm going to get the same amount of vibration on this camera that I would with a bullet cam. The difference is that I won't have to mount a recorder on my body as most people have.

As far as the mount is concerned, it's a solid aluminum plate about 3mm thick. In reality, it's a computer rack panel. Technically I guess it's billet. The "shoe" part is a cast aluminum project case I got for $7 at Fry's.

The machine work was all done in my garage on my Chinese combo machine. The fuel cap cutout could have looked better if I'd been willing to buy another cutter, but I was being a cheap bastard last weekend.

Vee4Rider
January 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Andre Espaillat:
I'm going to get the same amount of vibration on this camera that I would with a bullet cam.I assumed that the question about movement/vibration was if your camera had "image stabilization" or not..... ;)

Tony L
January 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Vee4Rider:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andre Espaillat:
I'm going to get the same amount of vibration on this camera that I would with a bullet cam.I assumed that the question about movement/vibration was if your camera had "image stabilization" or not..... ;) </font>[/QUOTE]You assumed correctly. Although, Bullet cam's do help in the reduction of vibration, because it's easier to mount them in less vibraty areas on dampened material's. I've first hand experience in this area.

2WheelTiger
January 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
My bad....sorry. Yes, it has image stabilization.