PDA

View Full Version : Just rode a Busa - opinions from you Busa owners?

Steve Gay
August 28th, 2001, 03:39 PM
First impression: Pretty dang flickable. Brakes need work but not bad. I guess pads and braided lines would fix this? You Busa guys give me your best sales pitch. Pros and cons. Thanks, SG

LeeHedge
August 28th, 2001, 03:59 PM
who let you ride theirs? :cool:

Steve Gay
August 28th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Dealer you told me about. 1600 miles on odometer. Nice fit and finish and feels pretty good. SG

Mitch
August 28th, 2001, 05:07 PM
I could do some nice stuff on the tail for ya : :D

John Orchard
August 28th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Hmmmm, where do I start?? I've had/have two and I've put over 37,000 on them. Can't say enough good stuff about the bike.

The brakes are helped with braided lines, but also need some EBC HH pads.

My only real complaint is the abruptness of the fuel injection. It's helped with the TRE, but still a bit abrupt if you're trying to be smooth at really slow speeds - Everything else rules!

Hood Ornament
August 28th, 2001, 10:15 PM
What can I say, the bike just works great. It's fast, handles pretty **** good for a bike it's size. It's comfortable for long distance riding. Great for 2 up riding. Oh yeah, did I mention it is fast? :D

You're right about the fit and finish. I can't believe that the Busa is made by the same company that makes the gixxers.

You're also right about the brakes. I've got kevlar lines on mine, but it still needs some help. Prolly going to EBC pads would be the ticket.

I'm sitting at 19K miles on mine right now and other then a little oil consumption, it's been pretty much flawless.

LeeHedge
August 28th, 2001, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John O #851:
My only real complaint is the abruptness of the fuel injection.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

steve - john's is a 99 and he experienced this problem. i didn't experience it on my 2000, go figure. it is smoooooth down low and of course through the mid-range and top end. if you liked it on the test ride you will love it after you buy it and spend some time with it.

Steve Gay
August 29th, 2001, 07:48 AM
I like the speed of the bike and the look of the black and silver. I'm used to a tossable litre bike and I wonder if throwing it around on fast transitions, it felt like maybe that rear tire might break loose. Of course I only had about 20 minutes to make all these judgements. But, I'm real tempted. Albie, you really think its comfortable on long trips? Felt like the riding position was close to the same as my 929. SG

Headman
August 29th, 2001, 07:55 AM
What ever happened with the 929 Steve?

John Orchard
August 29th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Steve - I've done multiple 1,000 mile days on mine, but I'm a sick bastard too. There are a few simple things that you can do to give yourself just a bit more leg room (gixxer pegs). You could also put the gen-mar risers on (albie has these) and of course there is always the heli-bars. I prefer the stock setup with the bars though.

It's plenty comfy for me!! smile.gif

Hood Ornament
August 29th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Yes, I think it's very comfortable. But then, I always thought the R1 was comfortable to. I've done a lot of sport touring on the thing.
As for the fast transition stuff, my bike feels very planted. If you get the suspension set up correctly it will make a big difference. I do notice the weight in the really tight stuff. It starts to become a chore tossing that sucker around. Then again, how often do we ever see tight stuff around here anyway. :D

Steve Gay
August 29th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Head,
I got a settlement from insurance and I'm thinking selling the 929 "as is" would yield more money than doing the repairs. Even if Brian and I did the work instead of the dealer. Anyone want a litre track bike? Or for a little money the cosmetic damage could be fixed. The bike still rides OK. Forks are fine etc. By the way, after having time to think about it, I'm totally convinced it all came down to tires. I had 3 track days and over 5k on that front tire when it washed out on me. A get high marks for general stupidity and world class cheapness for pushing the envelope with those tires. SG

Geek
August 29th, 2001, 06:38 PM
If I were looking for one bike that does it all... I'd buy the Busa.

Tour on it no prob.
Monster wheelies on it.
Handles twisties well (until stuff gets really tight).

...and haul's *** at the flick of your wrist smile.gif

And I'm giving feedback as someone who does NOT own a Busa.. I've just ridden several of them quite a bit (thanks to HO, J.Cool and WheeLee's generosity when I was bikeless) smile.gif

my 0.02

Cheers!
Geek

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Geek ]