PDA

View Full Version : Invalentery manslotter in Texas

CBRChris
September 9th, 2001, 06:21 AM
I hard that Texas passed a law that says if
a cage driver kills biker and the investigation finds that the the cage driver
is at fault, he can be charged with
invalentery manslotter. Texas is tring to make cage drivers more aware of motorcycle
riders :D .

Have not had time to check it out yet thou.
Feel free to do so if you have time and get back to all of us at TSBA

rpesina
September 9th, 2001, 12:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBRChris:
...Texas passed a law that says if a cage driver kills biker and the investigation finds that the the cage driver
is at fault, he can be charged with
invalentery manslotter...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the case with auto-auto and auto-pedestrian accidents? Whomever is at fault will be charged with the involuntary manslaughter. If I recall correctly, this applies to your passengers as well.

Inlaw1
September 9th, 2001, 04:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plain-o Ruben:
Whomever is at fault will be charged with the involuntary manslaughter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe to prove manslaughter you have to prove a reckless disregard for life. I don't think just because there is an accident and someone dies, no matter what the combination of vehicle's, means it would be manslaughter.

rpesina
September 9th, 2001, 05:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gun Totin' smile.gif Gary Stoops:
I believe to prove manslaughter you have to prove a reckless disregard for life. I don't think just because there is an accident and someone dies, no matter what the combination of vehicle's, means it would be manslaughter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree with the "manslaughter" thing, but when the judicial system puts the word "involuntary" infront of it, the meaning can be vague. The way I'd interpret it with the "involuntary" prefix is that any accident (vehicular or not) resulting with the loss of human life may lead to charges of involuntary manslaughter against the responsible party/parties.

To prove the manslaughter (read: wreckless disregard for life) they would need to demonstrate that you were a habitual speeder. Possibly indicate that you had passed in a no passing zone, or something similarly trivial. I figure a good lawyer could make us all look like we have no regard for life. We ride motorcycles, have track days, and many of have too many tickets to remember. And if you race...

Or would they just charge you with vehicular homicide? :confused:

CBRChris
September 9th, 2001, 09:14 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but
I was told that a car driver that kills a biker in an culision is going to be more at risk than if it was between two cars.

People here in the states just do not care about bikes at all!!!

I was told that the new law is to help make
car drivers more aware of bikers.

Inlaw1
September 9th, 2001, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBRChris:
People here in the states just do not care about bikes at all!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I feel people in the States just don't take driving seriously at all! When behind the wheel they think the part about actually driving is secondary to talking on the phone, watching TV, reading, or any number of distractions we allow in auto's.

Look what happened to Geek! The buffoon that tagged him couldn't back out of a parking space without paying even rudimentary attention at a time (backing up) when you should have all your attention focused on what you are doing.

Sorry, I'm just sick of drivers who do not take driving seriously everywhere I go, and what seems to be apathy in doing anything about it.

DaJacker
September 9th, 2001, 10:04 PM
Im with you Gary, Ill be glad when its against the law to use a cell phone and drive at the same time, we are one of the few countrys that allow this. I travel to europe some and I have yet to find a country that it is legal. Hell I damb near got wiped out by a woman in an SUV, talking on that damb phone the other day, but I let her know I though she was #1 ooops wrong finger :mad: