PDA

View Full Version : Going to Arkansas 14-16

DaJacker
September 9th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Ok guys heres the plan VFRMAN (George)and I are going to meet up Friday Morning at the closed Fina station next to Einstiens (the SMR location)at 9:30am and try to leave by 10:30. I will be trucking my bike, I think i can squeeze one more in. Im going to check on a trailer tomarrow if anyone wants to trailer theres, I will be happy to do so. if anyone knows of a trailer we could use speak up. We are going to stay in Mena, its a good base point to hit the places we want go, Talimena, Magazine mountian, and a few others. Guess we will stay at the Best Western Lime tree inn, the rate is $52+tax for a 2 queen beds room. the number for reservations is 501-394-6350. the weather is suppose to be GREAT highs only up to low 80's no rain forcasted. If you would like to go make your reservation, (you can pair up once we get there to cut the room cost) Guess we'll do a SMR up there then head back home. Just leave a note here to say if you are going and we'll be waiting for you, feel free to e-mail me or call for any info. marty.fluegge@home.com 817-563-1417h 972-641-3476w hope you can make it, Marty :D tongue.gif

yellowducati900ss
September 10th, 2001, 07:56 AM
You are welcome to use my trailer. It is a 4x8 that only fits one bike comfortably. It does NOT have a rail or a chock to stop the front wheel from twisting. I can also loan you my canyon dancer and straps to keep the bike down.

Email me if anyone wants to use it. I can't make the trip but if I can help someone else out I'd be happy to.

MadScot
September 17th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Well, against my better judgement, I made the trek up to Mena alone on Friday. The preferred route, as provided by my Okie brother-in-law, was 75/69 North to Stringtown, 43 East past beautiful Sardis Lake and on to Talihina. I encountered a moderate downpour at the Talimena Scenic Drive visitor's center and decided to take 271 to 270, then on to Mena.

I decided to make a run of the Talimena on Saturday morning about 9 am. A bit cooler than I had expected, but enjoyable nonetheless. No real traffic to speak of, besides the large buck and doe within the first 10 minutes of the drive, several seemingly oblivious spiders crossing the road, as well as a handful of two-wheel cruisers, cars and trucks. After 3.5 hours over and back, I greatly enjoyed a steak dinner at the Smoke House Grill on Highway 71 on the north end of town.

I must say, I greatly enjoyed my first tour of the Talimena. The cooler weather on the mountain top allowed the F4 to hum right along. Nothing too treacherous, although there are a couple of surprising twisties along the way. I will post the pictures as soon as I get'em developed and scanned.

I'm considering another trip up to Mena next month to check out the fall foliage, but I'll probably truck/trailer the bike next time. Perhaps someone would like to join me.

F1
September 17th, 2001, 10:37 AM
It is getting close to the "rut", I would avoid riding through deer country at dusk n dawn!

Faisal