PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite local roads

Geek
September 18th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Lets compile a list of favorite local roads. Now that summer's heat is gone I know I wouldn't mind finding a new twisty or two to explore.

Here are some of my regulars from the past few years (within an hour of the metroplex)...

697 out of Sherman. watch for chickens on the road half way through in Ira. Fun enough that at the end you'll turn around and go back up it. It's mostly 45,40,35,30 signed corners.

902 and 922 north of Denton (between I35 and I75). Fun faaaaaast sweepers. One or two 35's, the rest are 45,55 and unlimited sweepers. If you like to wheelie it's also a good ride because there are open clear view straightaways between the sweepers and very little traffic.

121 north of Denton (not the other two 121's in the mentroplex) - this is the road just south of 902 and 922 and north of 455. Fun from Van Alystene (75) over to 380 near pilot point - Clarks BBQ is at the 380 end - a common biker lunch spot. It's very much like 902 and 922 - high speed sweepers everywhere and big open corners that you can see through.

455 - runs from I-35 to I-75 just north of Denton (from Sanger). The part from Sanger to Pilot Point is fun - high speed sweepers and a big long **** across lake ray roberts. From Pilot point east-ward it can get to be a bit of a handfull.. it's nice and twisty (30,35's) but unless they've finally repaved it it's got gravel and pot holes here and there due to construction near Celina.

FM4 - Palo Pinto - other end of the metroplex; out near weatherford. Don't ride this road on an R1 with a new Mig high pipe (:. This road has some nice sweepers and some nice tighter spots (I think the signage gets down to 20 or 15?) There's the really fun corner that "goes on forever" as you wind up the "mountain" (big hill) near the ****.

Country Club (aka FM1830) road in Denton/Argyle. You have to pick your time on this road as the traffic can be nasty; but if you do an early morning saturday or sunday run this road is a blast. It's like a ribbon/rollarcoaster with good asphault. If you exit FWdrive in Denton and go west, then branch off to the left towards Bartonville. It's not very long in duration (15 minutes?) but if you live near Grapevine Mills, Flowermound or Denton it's local. Once you hit 407, go east (right if coming south) and head on out towards Justin. It's a fun road, lots of left/right combo sweepers and one decreasing radious combination. Just watch the cop shop after I35 on your right on the hill.

Just a few to get the thread started... lets hear yours?

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Geek ]

F1
September 18th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Is the gix up and running?

Faisal

bvia
September 18th, 2001, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geek:
[QB]
697 out of Sherman. watch for chickens on the road half way through in Ira. Fun enough that at the end you'll turn around and go back up it. It's mostly 45,40,35,30 signed corners.

Just a few to get the thread started... lets hear yours?

Geek, it's Ida, TX(HWY 11/Ida road to us locals)...population 14...;)>
bill

john.sblendorio
September 19th, 2001, 03:16 PM
377 to MSR

ZRX_Doug
September 19th, 2001, 08:54 PM
Great Roads....Go to Granbury, somehow, then leave town on 144 south. Take a right on Neri road, very twistie little thing. Turn left when you get to 51 (South). Follow 51 south to Highway 67. Turn left on 67 then right on FM 203. Take 203 to Walnut Springs. Go through town, take FM 927 to Iredell, in Iredell take FM 1238 to Canfill's Gap (As a side trip, turn right on Hwy 6 and go to Hico for lunch as required). When you get to the Main drag in Cranfill's Gap, turn right at the gas station, then left on FM 219. Follow 219 until you get to FM 182 to Turnersville. Stay on this puppy until you get tired. Then turn around and come home. Excellent ride about 100 to 150 miles one way from Granbury. Very Twistie, light traffic, low population density, no neighborhoods. lots of LOOONNNGGG sweeping turns good surface. If you keep going out of Turnersville you can get to Gatesville. Long way, big fun.