PDA

View Full Version : SMR Report 9/23

yellowducati900ss
September 23rd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Great Ride everyone!

We rode the ever popular Cemetary Run with Kevin leading. He threw in some interesting roads that I had never ridden before so it was nice.

Two newbies with us and guess what? They managed to keep the rubber down! smile.gif Seriously, Matt and Darrel were both good riders so they made it easy for us.

Because it was their first ride, I rode in the back half of the group and they were asked not to pass me. I rode double -10 and gradually increased to double when Geek (who was sweeping, mostly on one tire) told me they were looking great. They both had experience, too, which helps.

The only casualty was Nathan's Dunlop D207 that went flat when we were almost back to McKinney. Four people stayed and 4 kept going. I left my phone number with him to call me if they couldn't get the flat repair kit to work and I would pick them up. I haven't heard from them in over an hour so I figure they must have made it home ok.

Dave Whitson
September 23rd, 2001, 03:00 PM
Yeah, we made it OK. smile.gif

We ended up plugging one hole and using all 4 of my C02 cartidges, which only got the tire up to about 8 psi. So we cruised 10 miles or so down to the closest station at a brisk 15-20 mph. only to find out that we had missed the original hole, which was down in the tread. So we plugged that hole and then found the first hole we plugged was leaking again. So we plugged that hole AGAIN and finally we were holding air. That Dunlop looks like a friggin pin cushion smile.gif
I broke off at I-75 so hopefully Nathan made it home OK.
Time for a new tire. :mad:

Geek
September 23rd, 2001, 03:42 PM
Great job setting the mentor pace Mike. I saw the new riders to our group chomping at the bit a little but they soon clued in to what you were doing come corner time and everyone settled in.

Perfect weather, lotsa corners and no incidents. Couldn't have been better.

Geek!

p.s. speaking of back tires.. I think someone on a certain kawasaki who's name sounds like Basil has been practicing his squid antics a bit smile.gif

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: Geek ]

nmetzinger
September 23rd, 2001, 05:48 PM
Good news! I am glad to hear this. I hope we can set a new way of helping new SMR riders. I would be interested in hearing more about what was said before the ride.

I brought a guest one time. He said he raced a Laguna (sp?). After falling back to a five minute wait, he was blown away by the pace. I did my part and shadowed him all the way. He loved it and still talks about it today. Some of you might remember him. His name is Aaron and he was the manager at Starbucks. He was on an older Ninja 750.

Nick

DaJacker
September 23rd, 2001, 06:46 PM
Wish I could have been there, GREAT day to ride. Glad to hear everything went well, could stand another deal like last week. Hope to be there next weekend, if parts come in :eek: :D

yellowducati900ss
September 23rd, 2001, 10:25 PM
I think the thing we learned today is that the Mentoring is really two people, not one. I rode a pace which started at Double -10 and the two of them were behind me and then the sweeper, Geek, could watch them to see if they seemed to be handling it well.

I picked Double - 10 because Matt and Darrel seemed to be pretty experienced from the questioning (and Darrel had ridden with Geek). After the midway stop, Geek told me that they were doing great so I increased it to Double -5 and a few easy corners at Double. The most important part was not really my pacing, it was Geek watching them to see how they were handling it!

Of course this worked really well because we had two "new" riders who were experienced and they were good sports about it.

I think this is really something we can do consistently if enough people are willing to take their turns doing each role.

F1
September 25th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Nathan,

Did the "holey" tires hold up? (we plugged the wrong hole!)

Faisal :D

NathanH
September 25th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Had a problem with the phone cord to the 'puter, so just now back to posting - cat chewed through it. Yeah, the pin chushion Dunlop held up just fine. Muchas Gracias to everyone for their help. New tire is on order and should be in by end of the week or so. Went with a 180/55 instead of the extra $25+ for 190/50. We'll see if it feels like it steers quicker? This is the fourth flat rear bike tire this year! Bike is for sale, though. As most of you know, unemployment hasn't been too kind to me so far :( . Figure I'll sell the ZX7 and maybe pick up something older and cheaper to insure with the balance on the loan. Any takers? - 1998 Kawasaki ZX7R, 13K miles, V&H SS2R full system w/ carbon oval can, professionally jetted and dyno tuned, stock/dual tail and solo/race tail with assorted Ti bits included. Will work out a better deal for fellow members. Call me at 469-235-7549 if interested.

TankSlapper
September 25th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Was that your group in Celeste. We had just pulled in as you guys were leaving. I was on the yellow 750 Gixxer and the other two guys with me were on a yellow TL and a Yammy FZ1.
Ya'll weren't hassling those Harley riders, were you? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Geek
September 25th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Tankslapper: yup that was us.. saw you as we were pulling out smile.gif

Weird thing is that group of harley guys was being lead by a guy on a 929...

TankSlapper
September 25th, 2001, 08:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geek:
Tankslapper: yup that was us.. saw you as we were pulling out smile.gif

Weird thing is that group of harley guys was being lead by a guy on a 929...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those Harleys must have really shred the tires on that ride. LMFAO :D :D :D