PDA

View Full Version : Lane Splitting

DaJacker
October 17th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Some food for thought http://www.ketchum.org/ls101.html

I miss California

Pod
October 18th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Did we ever get a definitive on the legality of lane-splitting in Texas?
I split right by a cop this morning on Mopac (inadvertently) and didn't get so much as a whhooooop or a light flicker...

bvia
October 18th, 2001, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pod:
Did we ever get a definitive on the legality of lane-splitting in Texas?
I split right by a cop this morning on Mopac (inadvertently) and didn't get so much as a whhooooop or a light flicker...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Illegal per DPS trooper.

"No 2 vehicles can occupy the same space in the same lane."
bill

Inlaw1
October 18th, 2001, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bill via:
"No 2 vehicles can occupy the same space in the same lane."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same thing I've gotten from LEO's. And this topic has been gone over and over in tx.motorcycles newsgroup in Usenet. Same conclusion there. Law would be "no two vehicles in the same lane".

And from what I understand from some friends in CA. there is no actual law in CA. that says you *can* lane split. You could actually be written the same ticket as here, no two vehicles in the same lane. It's just they've always done it and the LEO's out there let everyone get away with it for so long it is now practice.

I've also lane split past squad cars in stopped traffic that was backed up and gotten away with it, but never tried it in moving traffic.

Geek
October 18th, 2001, 10:13 PM
I believe, like anything, it's going to boil down to whether you look safe while doing it or if you look like a hooligan when the cop witnesses you doing it (that and it depends on the particular cop's attitude towards life, the universe, and everything).

It's illegal to lane change without signaling (personal pet peave) and thousands do it every day in front of cops. If the person makes a safe lane change without signaling, the cop usually won't mess with them (of course depends on the cop).

It's like the rabbit principle when speeding. If you aren't the most dangerous person on the road at any given moment, you'll likely be ok :D

Weave
October 19th, 2001, 10:20 AM
I'm not worried about cops; I'm concerned about lunatic Texas drivers. How many of us have been lane-splitting, only to have some a-hole push his front end into your gap, just to upset your forward progress? It simply reflects the driving attitude here in Dallas. What is the deal with drivers in this town, anyway?

Inlaw1
October 19th, 2001, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weave:
It simply reflects the driving attitude here in Dallas. What is the deal with drivers in this town, anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not just in DFW. It's all of Texas. There's no way I'd lane split in Houston. Bubba in the pick up would open the door on ya. Here in SA it's not that bad.

I think it's due to red neck attitudes and the me first attitude Americans seem to have developed in regards to driving. Coupled with the fact that lane splitting is a foreign concept here in Texas and it's dangerous, anywhere in Texas.

Dave Whitson
October 19th, 2001, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
It's not just in DFW. It's all of Texas.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just all of Texas, It's EVERYWHERE. I've lived in Cali, Colorado, Florida and Texas and it's the same everywhere. People turn into F'in A-holes when they get behind the wheel.
"That motorcycle is going to get ahead of me in line, so I think I will try to KILL him with my car." :mad:

Cutting in line....Punishable by Death!!

Pod
October 20th, 2001, 10:20 AM
other than Vernons, is there a source on the internet that I can reference that law?
The reason I ask is because "no two vehicles may occupy the same lane at the same times" is really vague. What's going on when you are following someone else? You are both in the same lane at the same time, right?
:-D

bvia
October 20th, 2001, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pod:
What's going on when you are following someone else? You are both in the same lane at the same time, right?
:-D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope...same SPACE is the keyword in the "law" and space is described as the width, not length. So even if you are 1 inch from their bumper, you aren't in the same space. 1 inch past, in the same lane and you are...
bill

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: bill via ]

rpesina
October 20th, 2001, 07:32 PM
I had an Austin cop tell me that two motorcycles may share the same "space". That kinda contradicts the law Bill pointed out.

Another thought--couldn't you argue that you were "between spaces" while you were splitting traffic? A technicality, yes, reality, no.

What do you think?