PDA

View Full Version : The "west side" SMR

Vee4Rider
October 21st, 2001, 10:36 PM
Thanks to Ben Hughes for the suggestion.
The change of scenery was refreshing.
We had a pretty good turnout with 13 riders.
There were no incidents to speak of, other than a couple of Ducks leaking air & water. Thanks, Dave, for the plug & air.
157 north of Venus is getting repaved..WooHoo
1238 between Iredell & Cranfills Gap is a MUST ride!!!
I'm getting out the maps & putting together a less time consuming route for future SMR's.
Do I have the only bike in north Texas that likes regular unleaded?
Walnut Springs only sells regular & mid-grade & Iredell is closed until 12:30pm on Sunday.
Aaaaah, Hico has Premium gas & the Koffee Kup restaurant.
Okay, let's hear from the rest of today's west side riders. With good roads like these, there must be some tall tales...I mean factual accounts of today's events.... :D :D :D

bjhughes
October 22nd, 2001, 04:31 AM
Sounds like we had a better day than the other SMR folks on the east side. I hope the injured folks are doing okay.

Our ride was most excellent ! Nice change of scenery and roads. I think you're right Hank - we need to map out some regular rides out that way as well. It's a little bit further out for some, but worth the ride now and then.

1238 is definitely a fun run. We hit a few other roads that were great as well. It turned out to be for the best that we went into Hico for gas/food, then came around the backside of Fairy into 1238.

What do you think Hank - should some of our Ducati friends check out Hondas ? :eek:

DaJacker
October 22nd, 2001, 05:22 AM
first off Id like to thank Ben and Hank for the KILLER roads in my own back yard. Well I made it home, after filling the quacker up with water I found the REAL problem, big hole in the radiator, took a rock from FAISAL, dude you ride in the back from now on! now way BARRS was going to fix this, and no Marvels Mystery Oil in sight! so I oppted to leave it, locked up, chained down, armed securty, and two mean *** rotwielers, well maybe not the chains. I had to ride b**ch with Fasail back home, (does this make me Fasails b**ch?) Hank rode with us, thanks Hank, thanks Fasail. drove back in the cage picked up the lame duc, there were a few people checking it out, one even asked me "isnt that one of those exzodic european racing bikes that cost $30K?" What do you think I told him? HELL YA "Now please step away at least 5ft from the $30K exzodic european racing bike" I thought it, but didnt say it, but the next time they see one they say hey theres one of those $30K bikes HA HA. wel I got home and shes dripping in the garage til I tear into her, Never the less Great ride + Great friends = GREAT TIME!! well have to do this again, and watch out for those tickets in the mail from Arlingtons "finest" they may be laced with powdered surgar
MARTY

Weave
October 22nd, 2001, 07:40 AM
Let me begin by thanking Dave for the quick repair of my rear tire. I owe you. Plus this morning she was still at 32 psi, so the plug obviously worked.

Secondly, that was the best riding I've seen in Texas. I could have ridden 51 all day, trying to get my timing down on those aggressive corners (especially the Laguna Seca dip). Meanwhile, the ride out of Fairy and along 1238 kept me on my toes, and on the throttle, as I shifted between 5th and 6th the entire route. (It did, however, highlight my bike's lack of HP. Getting on the gas early would help exiting the turns, but my 75 ponies were wheezing.)

Would it be possible to "take the long way home" next time? That ride back FW along 377 was torture! My back prefers to stay off the highways as long as possible. Just a suggestion.

Again, what a great ride. I have the Texas atlas at my house, and you can bet I'll spend some time this week plotting out a new adventure that eventually leads us to 1238.

PS: Ben and Hank, great job leading.
PPS: And one last b**ch from me: I've ridden sweeper for nearly 400 miles in the past 30 days (ask Faisal). I've met my quota, ******!
PPPS: Any suggestions on how I might fabricate a replacement cover to my headlamp?

bjhughes
October 22nd, 2001, 08:11 AM
Weave:

The ride back on 377 and I-20 was a *****, but since we were running late (I was due back at 4:00...got home at 4:10) it was the straightest shot. We need to map out some routes that take the entire journey (out and back) into consideration, and still gets us back to civilization at a decent time.

By the way, when I had my Duc (Duc #2 actually) I bought a headlight cover that was made of high impact [clear] plastic that fit over the original lens. It was like $25 at the Ducati joint on 35. After you replace your stock lens, get one of these to go over it. Well worth the few bucks. It attaches using velcro tabs and can be removed for cleaning.

Also, could those 75 horses be naturally slotting you at the rear of the pack ? I'm not clear on whether you choose to run sweeper, or just naturally get stuck there !
(calm down...I couldn't resist the jab !)

DaJacker
October 22nd, 2001, 08:40 AM
Hold on there you pony lacking, no head light having, air leaking quacker (not cracker), both geek and I rode sweep in the morning. the only real way to fix your lamp is buy a new one, and get the protective cover like Ben said, in fact in high light of the recent damage that Fasil seems to be dishing out, I am going to get a prophylactic for my lights as well, also going to install a protective screen on my radiator, Maybe I should just stay in front of Fasail :rolleyes:

Weave
October 22nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
I was last leaving the Koffee Kafe in Hico, and therefore relegated by default the unenviable position of sweeper. That's right: last man through the big, fast stuff. Fortunately everyone was riding well, and we rarely dipped below 100, even through the corners. I don't think we were more than 5 mph off the leader's speed.

I have, however, ridden sweeper on a couple of rides earlier in the month. (Well, one was completely voluntary, as it was a post-Texas State Fair ride, and my senses were not at their optimum). Yeah, I set myself up for sweeper by leaving the gate last. Should we start a new policy of assigning a sweeper, versus having natural selection run its course? The R6 guy would have been last if I didn't fall back, and that could have been some deep poo-poo if things went awry.

We're fabricating a new lens cover this week. Results available at next SMR.

F1
October 22nd, 2001, 09:41 AM
Some SMR, I clocked 420 miles for the day! Amazing sweepers plus the tight stuff, many thanks to Ben and Hank for a delightful change of scenery. Thanks to Geek and everyone for waiting at the racetrack.

When I got home, I looked the ZX-6R straight in the headlamp and said "bad bad boy" for hurting the Ducattis and parked it in the corner, no more chain lube for you today.

Sorry to hear about the east side SMR, pretty hard to change lines on bumpy fm455 when one is commited, I hope everyone heals up quick.

Faisal ZX-6R

yellowducati900ss
October 22nd, 2001, 10:19 AM
Glad to hear you got home ok Marty!

Thanks to our fearless leaders for a great ride!

KenCyr
October 22nd, 2001, 10:45 AM
Hank,

Try to add 4 west from 67 to your route, that has to be one of the best roads on the way to that area.

-Ken

Geek
October 22nd, 2001, 01:16 PM
A walkman works wonders when riding sweeper. I listened to three different NPR shows and thoroughly enjoyed myself while watching the centipede of horsepower work it's way through the corners in front of me.

We definately need to call that one left hander that drops away the "corkscrew". What a corner! I honestly thought that we'd be going back to help someone up out of the ditch there (then I remembered Cody stayed home - bwahaha!)

I guess that is some of the benefit of a smaller group (you stick together so there is no gap with someone trying to play catchup and then gets caught out in that kind of a turn).

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Geek ]

Geek
October 22nd, 2001, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pimpin 51:
Hank,

Try to add 4 west from 67 to your route, that has to be one of the best roads on the way to that area.

-Ken<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we did catch that road right at the start.. it's just been repaved and it's 90 degree sweepers one after another.

Fun! until we hit the gravel... then riding sweeper REALLY sucked.

Vee4Rider
October 22nd, 2001, 02:20 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT , KEN. HWY 4 IS A NICE LITTLE ROAD, BUT IT TAKES YOU A LITTLE FARTHER NORTH THAN WHERE WE WERE RIDING. WE NEED AT LEAST 2 SMR ROUTES ON THE WEST SIDE. A NORTHERLY ROUTE INCLUDING HWY 4 & A SOUTHERLY ROUTE THAT INCLUDES THE AREAS AROUND & SOUTH OF GLEN ROSE.... ;)

Dave Whitson
October 22nd, 2001, 02:36 PM
What a great ride smile.gif

Thanks Again to Hank and Ben for leading and setting an awesome pace. Those hundred mile an hour sweepers were amazing, and that downhill corkscrew thing that the roadside repair crew, myself included, got to go through a few times. WOW :eek: :eek: What a blast.

It sounds like I wasn't the only one squirming around in my seat searching for even the slightest comfortable position on the flat track home. That was rough.

As soon as I got home I tore into the bike looking for the mysterious ticking. Turns out it WAS the f*cking EXUP valve after all. Apparantly when I pulled it apart and serviced it Sat. I didn't get it quite adjusted right and it loosened up, which really pisses me off because I spent the whole second half of the ride holding back and worrying about valves and cam chains and many other expensive problems for nothing. **** Yamahas! :rolleyes:

BTW Weave,
You are very welcome, I'm glad to help out when I can, although I think I forgot to mention that my roadside flat repair fee is $40.00 + $5.00 per C02 cartridge + a $1.00 per cartridge disposal fee. That's $70.00-10% TSBA discount which comes tooooo (insert adding machine sounds) $63.00+tax :D :D :D j/k

DaJacker
October 22nd, 2001, 02:48 PM
CHA CHING!!!! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/person/pirate2.gif

yellowducati900ss
October 22nd, 2001, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave W.:
...I forgot to mention that my roadside flat repair fee is $40.00 + $5.00 per C02 cartridge + a $1.00 per cartridge disposal fee. That's $70.00-10% TSBA discount which comes tooooo (insert adding machine sounds) $63.00+tax :D :D :D j/k<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should have come to me first. I would have only charged $53 or you could purchase my Roadside Assistance Insurance for a low-low price of $23.50/mo. First month is free if you let me take a spin on your 748 down I-20 at 130mph... :D

DaJacker
October 22nd, 2001, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You should have come to me first. I would have only charged $53 or you could purchase my Roadside Assistance Insurance for a low-low price of $23.50/mo. First month is free if you let me take a spin on your 748 down I-20 at 130mph...

I wasnt the one that need the tire fixed, and no you cant ride the 748 on I-20 at 130mph, I dont need no ticket "MAILED" to me, now on if you still wish, any other day on a SMR just ask, Ill let you ride.

Weave
October 22nd, 2001, 03:46 PM
Wow, that flat was pretty expensive. But it's a Ducati; even our gas costs more!

Hey Marty, put me on the 748 ride list. I'd love to take that bad boy through the tight stuff. Nothing like wicking up the twin out of the corners. And I'll make sure Faisal is no where in sight.

Is that thing still for sale? Why am I asking? I couldn't buy a fellow TSBA member's bike. It would be like dating your ex-wife. Do you really want something that Marty has had his hands all over? :D

Doh! Hope that doesn't retract your invitation to tune the 900!

F1
October 22nd, 2001, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yellowducati900ssMike:

You should have come to me first. I would have only charged $53 or you could purchase my Roadside Assistance Insurance for a low-low price of $23.50/mo. First month is free if you let me take a spin on your 748 down I-20 at 130mph... :D[/QUOT

Any comments Dave?

Faisal ZX-6R

F1
October 22nd, 2001, 07:23 PM
Why are the Duc boys ganging up on a poor lil ZX-6R?

Faisal ZX-6R

DaJacker
October 22nd, 2001, 08:14 PM
cuz you started throwing rocks! mlaaaa http://jove.prohosting.com/~hamfam/Dcp00744.jpg

F1
October 22nd, 2001, 08:50 PM
What! Italian technology can't handle a few Tx pebbles? and I was thinking about investing in a Mille!

Faisal ZX-6R

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Faisal ]

Dave Whitson
October 22nd, 2001, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faisal:

Any comments Dave?

Faisal ZX-6R[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :D

Mikes idea of "Roadside Assistance" would be to toss you a repair kit and say "Well, looks like you got everything you need so there's no reason for me to hang around." :D tongue.gif :D

We still love you Mike. In a nonsexual kinda way http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/cwm/cwm/la.gif

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Dave W. ]

Dave Whitson
October 22nd, 2001, 09:35 PM
Hey Faisal,
You need to get some little Japanese and Italian flag stickers that you can put on your bike for all your kills, like the WWII fighter pilots used to do. http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/violent/bigun2.gif

F1
October 22nd, 2001, 09:46 PM
Naa, i'm a peacefull kinda fella. I'll even volunteer to ride sweeper to make Brian happy.

Faisal ZX-6R

yellowducati900ss
October 22nd, 2001, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mikes idea of "Roadside Assistance" would be to toss you a repair kit and say "Well, looks like you got everything you need so there's no reason for me to hang around." :D tongue.gif :D [/IMG]
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I felt pretty bad all the way home about that, sorry. I was tired, sore, and I was missing the Packer game. I knew you guys were ok so I was being a bit selfish. I'll make it up to you. Come on over on Nov. 3rd and I'll give you all the beer you can drink. :D

No Marty, I'm STILL not going to supply the women for you! You'd think a guy with $20K racing superbike could pick up his own now and then... tongue.gif

DaJacker
October 23rd, 2001, 03:12 AM
HEY, Thats $30K !!! and if any of you HOMOs touch any of mu stuff, I'll KILL YA !! http://tomsquotes.amhosting.net/movies/stripes/psycho_th.jpg