PDA

View Full Version : Up for more trivia?



DaJacker
October 25th, 2001, 02:29 PM
What is the proper procedure of raising the US flag to half mast?

Bonus: how about when its lowered?
http://www.heritage-flag.com/images/madeintheusa.gif

Geek
October 25th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Are you supposed to raise it to full mast then lower it?

and vice versa?

...just guessin'.. I have no clue. In Canada we just climb a tree and tie it on :D

DaJacker
October 25th, 2001, 02:35 PM
CORRECT!! We have a weinner!!
http://www.wienerschnitzel.com/wiener/wienerworld/commercials/Littlegirl.jpg

DaJacker
October 25th, 2001, 02:40 PM
What were the Beatles called before they were the Beatles?
http://www.rarebeatles.com/introani.gif

Geek
October 25th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Uhh... John, Paul, Ringo and George.

or

A bunch of fruity looking guys with bad haircuts?

Welcome to the PartyMarty and Geek show :D

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Geek ]

Geek
October 25th, 2001, 03:01 PM
How about motorcycle trivia?

In what year did the first BMW K-Series motorcycle appear and how long was it after the first BMW motorcycle was shown to the public at the Paris Motorshow in October 19XX ???

DaJacker
October 25th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Why would wanyone want to do motorcycle trivia HERE??? :confused: :eek:

bjhughes
October 25th, 2001, 04:03 PM
The first K series was introduced in 1983 (K100/987 cc, or 60 cu in).

What else you got ? That was too easy.

Hood Ornament
October 25th, 2001, 04:52 PM
BMW makes motorcycles????????? :eek:

Keith Lane
October 26th, 2001, 09:36 AM
What British Brewer celebrated the return of Triumph Motorcycles with a beer named after Triumph?

A beer and motorcycle question all in one. :D :D :D

Keith Lane
October 26th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Who made the first 8cyl motorcycle? And what was the engine originaly produced for? ;)

breeno
October 26th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Which one is still alive: Mary Ann or Ginger?

Inlaw1
October 26th, 2001, 11:13 AM
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

I must be reeaaly bored today.

DaJacker
October 26th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Go take the fart servey if your that board :eek:

Weave
October 26th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Both Mary Ann AND Ginger still roam the earth. And Mary Ann is STILL a babe! She knocked the dog crap out of Tina Louise.

Did anyone happen to catch the Gilligan's Island special a couple of weeks ago? I was cooped up in a hotel and checked it out. The "new" Mary Ann was a babe, too. Yowza!

Keith Lane
October 26th, 2001, 11:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martys748:
Go take the fart servey if your that board :eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

someone used spellchecker... board.. :D

bvia
October 27th, 2001, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacFie:
Who made the first 8cyl motorcycle? And what was the engine originaly produced for? ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it the Morbidelli? Using an ex-F1 V-8 and made by the Italian furniture company Morbidelli?
bill

Here's one. Who was the first company to bring a single sided front end sportbike to the marketplace and what was the front end design taken from?

Extra credit if you can name the designer of the GTS front end.

DaJacker
October 27th, 2001, 01:55 PM
The only thing that comes to mind Is the ELF racing team from 10 yrs ago :confused:

Geek
October 27th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Was the single sided front end the Britten bike by John Britten?

that's the first I remember; but it'll probably be some 1920 bike or something smile.gif

Ben got the K bike question. 1983, 60 years after the first BMW bike in 1923.

Geek
October 27th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Ok Ben - you wanted a tougher BMW question?

What is the only difference between a 1929 BMW R57 and the 1929 BMW R52?

&lt;insert jeopardy theme song here&gt;

Geek
October 27th, 2001, 02:30 PM
And here's an easier one for non "old guys" :D

Just recently the BMW F650 became fully a "bmw produced bike" even though it has been branded BMW since it's inception back in 1993 (coming to the USA in 1996).

Up until this change to full inhouse BMW construction:

What country produced the Rotax engine it used?

and

What motorcycle manufacturer assembled it in which country?

bvia
October 27th, 2001, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geek:
Was the single sided front end the Britten bike by John Britten?

that's the first I remember; but it'll probably be some 1920 bike or something smile.gif

Ben got the K bike question. 1983, 60 years after the first BMW bike in 1923.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Britten used a carbon fiber "bridge" structure but it's claim to fame was that it was forkless and used the bridge to lever a longitudinally mounted single front end spring.

The Elf SSFE was never brought to the market place, but of course honda used it on the VFR.

Gilera was the first company to bring a SSFE sportbike to the marketplace on a domestic 125 in 1985. It used the aircraft landing gear "flexible knee" design to control the front end travel.

No one know the guy who designed the GTS FE?
bill

bjhughes
October 28th, 2001, 04:48 AM
The difference between the R52 & R57 (introduced in 1928) is 5. That wasn't very hard, but I think the other difference was one had overhead valves. These models replaced the (1926) R42 and R47. The R52 & R57 also had a longer stroke than the R42 and R47.

Keith Lane
October 29th, 2001, 11:24 AM
The first 8cyl bike was built by Curtiss, and the engine was intended for airships. :D

breeno
October 29th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Weave not to be fooled by my oddly worded query ... and I totally agree, its always been 100% Mary Ann!!

Scott Rich
October 29th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Man, that single sided FRONT END question got me. I can't remember his name, but I remember reading about it. He's a hotshot engineer/bike designer from Arizona I think, and Yamaha had to pay patent/licensing fees to him so they could produce that front end... It'll come to me sooner or later. Also, didn't Honda put the single sided rear swing arm on the (production) RC30 and Hawk GT before they ever put it on the VFR?

Inlaw1
October 29th, 2001, 07:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bill via:
Here's one. Who was the first company to bring a single sided front end sportbike to the marketplace and what was the front end design taken from?

Extra credit if you can name the designer of the GTS front end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure but I think Bill gave away the manufacturer in his post by naming the bike (or I just got sucked into his little web of disinformation smile.gif ).

Was the manufacturer Yamaha and the bike the GTS? It had the RADD front end but I can't remember the guys name who came up with the design and later sold it. Can't find that **** article on the net about it now either. :(.

F1
October 30th, 2001, 09:09 PM
:D :D

What motorcycle won the 2001 AMA and FIM World Supersport championships? :D :D

Faisal ZX-6R (hint)

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Faisal ]

Chirpy
October 30th, 2001, 10:03 PM
James Parker

What do I win? :confused:

Dave Whitson
October 30th, 2001, 10:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faisal:
:D :D

What motorcycle won the 2001 AMA and FIM World Supersport championships? :D :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmmm......Harley Davidson? http://www.plauder-smilies.com/icon16.gif http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/sarge/Eye_anim.gif http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/sarge/Eye_anim.gif

bvia
October 31st, 2001, 08:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
I'm not sure but I think Bill gave away the manufacturer in his post by naming the bike (or I just got sucked into his little web of disinformation smile.gif ).

Was the manufacturer Yamaha and the bike the GTS? It had the RADD front end but I can't remember the guys name who came up with the design and later sold it. Can't find that **** article on the net about it now either. :(.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw. Although Yamaha created the GTS, it wasn't the first SSFE!
bill

bvia
October 31st, 2001, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UberHawk:
James Parker

What do I win? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct! You win the boobie prize and get to ride directly behind Faisal on the next SMR...May god have mercy on your bike...;)

bvia
October 31st, 2001, 08:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faisal:
:D :D

What motorcycle won the 2001 AMA and FIM World Supersport championships? :D :D

Faisal ZX-6R (hint)

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Faisal ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dog, meet bone. Al go back to Honda. Dog starves again...;)&gt;
bill

JoelAndre
November 27th, 2001, 05:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geek:
And here's an easier one for non "old guys" :D

Just recently the BMW F650 became fully a "bmw produced bike" even though it has been branded BMW since it's inception back in 1993 (coming to the USA in 1996).

Up until this change to full inhouse BMW construction:

What country produced the Rotax engine it used?

and

What motorcycle manufacturer assembled it in which country?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


If memory serves me correctly, Rotax is an Austrian company.
Just guessing on the manufacturer, Aprillia in Italy? Naaa... that wouldn't make sense, someone with too much factory capacity at the time, lets see... KTM used to be Austrian, maybe it still is... or maybe Husquvarna, where the hell are they these days after leaving Sweeden... Austria?

Honda^3
November 27th, 2001, 10:33 AM
First bike with a front single sided swing arm was built by IMME in 1947-1948.

check out http://www.narma.org/euro/brands/imme.htm. (http://www.narma.org/euro/brands/imme.htm) Saw this bike at the Art of the Motorcyle exhibit. Very much ahead of its time.

Other notable single sided front ends are the Bimota Tesi(1993) and the Yamaha GTS (95-96?).

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: vfr800 ]

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: vfr800 ]

bvia
November 27th, 2001, 12:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vfr800:
[QB]First bike with a front single sided swing arm was built by IMME in 1947-1948.

check out http://www.narma.org/euro/brands/imme.htm. (http://www.narma.org/euro/brands/imme.htm) Saw this bike at the Art of the Motorcyle exhibit. Very much ahead of its time.

Other notable single sided front ends are the Bimota Tesi(1993) and the Yamaha GTS (95-96?).

QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


The Tesi used a dual sided front swing arm seperating the steering and braking forces, but it was not a SSFE. What a beautiful looking failure!
bill

bvia
November 27th, 2001, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beemer Guy:



If memory serves me correctly, Rotax is an Austrian company.
Just guessing on the manufacturer, Aprillia in Italy? Naaa... that wouldn't make sense, someone with too much factory capacity at the time, lets see... KTM used to be Austrian, maybe it still is... or maybe Husquvarna, where the hell are they these days after leaving Sweeden... Austria?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, it was Aprillia that assembled the F650 for BMW.
bill