View Full Version : Historical Marker round up Labor Day Weekend

The Big Spank Daddy
August 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Gary, Cindy and myself are going to try and get the remainder of the Historical markers in one trip.

We'll be headed out early Saturday morning towards Texarkana, then west shadowing the Oklahoma boarder. The goal will be to make it to Albany Saturday sfternoon and spend the night. On Sunday working our way back.

It will be two long days of at least 600 miles each day. No ride plans have been set in stone just yet.

Brian Montgomery
August 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Might as well come on up to Arkansas with us since you will be so close!
Sorry the thread was getting hijacked so I am removing my post...

[ August 27, 2004, 15:15: Message edited by: Brian Montgomery ]

The Big Spank Daddy
August 27th, 2004, 12:26 PM
I was thinking about it, but I think we may go in September or October.

Saw a thread where you were sick. Same here, been sick all week. Stayed home today to try and recover and take care of some personal biz.

August 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Hey Brian,
why aren't you racing this weekend?

[ August 27, 2004, 13:58: Message edited by: Tommy F. ]

August 27th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Hey Chris,

why aren't you working this weekend? too far? you've been there before, remember? no camper?

hope ya have fun!

The Big Spank Daddy
August 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Actually I was scheduled to "work" at my job. However, this cold/flu bug just won't go away. Also, it's Lainie's birthday.

The Big Spank Daddy
September 5th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Well, we managed to get all of the markers. Saturday was about 701 miles and not a lot of adventure. But Sunday was another story...

I just got in about 10:35. We left Mt. Vernon at 5:05pm, head to DeKaulb, gotour pic and head back to Houston about 6:05. 368 miles later we pull into my drive at 10:35pm. You do the math, but we basically pulled a Brian. The road back was infested with DPS and locals, we stopped twice for fuel, once for a train and once to clean the bugs from our shields.

And for your info Paul, we had no love bugs on our trip. The bugs we got were just south of Henderson in a 10 mile stretch of 259 and they were some type of affids or nats.

We're all pretty whipped right now. Our story is long and I'll try and get Cindy to post it tomorrow. I'll see if I can get someone to post the pics too.

September 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Well, it’s never a dull trip when you’re with Chris. As a matter of fact, during this trip, Gary told us that he wasn’t going on any more long trips with us because something always happens. I then pointed out that the “excitement” is always on the 2nd day, so he revised his statement to “overnight trips”.

Gary, Chris and I set off on our weekend Historical Marker excursion at 6:15 Saturday morning. Weather was overcast, rain forecast for the Houston viewing area. Thought we might get caught in the rain a couple of times, but manage to stay dry.

Headed for our 1st stop – Whitney. Hank, I don’t know how the heck you found some of these historical markers! We NEVER would have looked in this spot for a marker!! Chris and Gary were, shall we say, a little “intimidated” by the “surprise” the last few yards in actually getting to the marker (the one-way, wooden bridge that is squeaky as hell!). I’ve never seen Chris be leery of any type of roadway, but this one had him driving extremely carefully and slowly.

After completing that stop, we headed on to our 2nd stop of the day – Brady. Seemingly an uneventful ride between the two locations, Chris was, well, pushing the envelope just a bit. One old farmer truck was holding up traffic (1 car and the 2 bikes), so Chris decided to go around. Despite the fact it was a solid yellow line, the road was clear and safe for passing. Guess the farmer didn’t think so. Right when we were directly beside him, the old geezer yanked his steering wheel hard to the left, trying to force us off the road. Thank God I was looking away from him, or I would’ve probably had a heart attack!!! :eek: Chris quickly avoided the truck, gave it lots of throttle, and pulled away from the jerk. All I heard from my Chatterbox was Gary saying, “What an a$$hole!” Apparently, after he yanked the truck left, he over compensated yanking it back into his lane, very nearly flipping his own vehicle! Too bad he didn’t. Gary made it around and we proceeded along our merry way. Reached our destination, took Gary’s photo, and headed out for the 3rd stop of the day.

We arrived in Albany a couple of hours later. What a clean, beautiful, nice little town. It’s definitely someplace I wouldn’t mind visiting again. We finally arrived at the Historical Marker, took our photos, looked at the sights, and started to saddle up and head out. Darn Chris if he hadn’t parked right in a huge sticker patch!! Guess who had to pull the stickers out of the tires, and guess who had a sticker break off in her finger???? (Chris didn’t want to get a flat tire from the stickers!)

Anyway, we headed out to our next destination – Tom Bean. Well, I was getting pretty sore and tired by this time – ready for a break. Chris asked Gary if he would switch bikes with us so I could have a more comfortable seat for a while, so Gary agreed. The guys wanted to “ride until the sun goes down”, so I reluctantly agreed – but without too much whining. To sort of compromise, they did decide to slab it to the DFW area from just outside Palo Pinto. BORING!!!!!!!! 2 or 2 ˝ half hours of non-exciting roads was a very boring ride – even if Chris did try to keep the thrill by weaving in and out of traffic, testing his skills and my stress/panic level.

We arrived in McKinney, Texas about 8:00 p.m. and 701 miles of riding behind us.

Had planned to leave the hotel by 6:30 Sunday morning, but didn’t get out of there until 7:00. Besides leaving late, the jeans I took to wear the 2nd day of riding were the wrong ones. Should have known that was a sign of things to come for the day!

On the way to our 4th marker stop of the trip, Chris managed to “deviate from the scoped route” several times. After about 1 ˝ to 2 hours of riding, we finally reached our destination – Tom Bean, a mere 70 miles from our starting point!! :rolleyes: We took the photos and headed for the 5th stop.

I told Chris that I felt bad for them having slabbed it for so far the previous day, besides, that part of the ride had been particularly boring. I asked him to find a scenic, twisty, fun route to get to our next stop – De Kalb. He did find some great roads, and by the way DFW, I don’t ever want to read about you guys whining that there are “no good roads” in the DFW area. You just aren’t riding in the right spots!! We found several fun roads, twists, sharp corners, nice scenery, etc. in your area!

Gary had seen a National Grasslands designation on the map and asked Chris to go that way. Driving along, waiting for the amazing “grassland”, Chris radioed that we were “in the middle of it”. There was a Historical Marker, so we stopped to read it just for the fun of it. While there, Chris was enthralled with a “corn spider” hanging on a web on the information sign. We even had to take several photos of Chris and the spider, the spider alone, and the spider close up. Oh, did I mention we had to pull off the paved road to a gravel/rock road to get to this sign? Right after leaving the site, I heard a rock seemingly stuck to the tire, “thump, roll, thump, roll, thump”, then nothing. I didn’t think it important, and didn’t want the guys laughing at me, so I said nothing.

We drove for about another 1 ˝ hours, Chris hitting the turns really hard, leaning so far I was afraid we’d tip over. But I was having a blast the whole time. I signaled that it was time for a pit stop, and he shook his hand as if to say, “Where the heck am I gonna stop?!!!” A short time later, in the teeny tiny town of Cunningham, He asked Gary if the rear tire looked low, and Gary agreed it did. Chris turned around and pulled into the parking lot of the town Post Office (a portable trailer about the size of a construction trailer). (NOTE: Chris put on another person’s take-off to use on this trip. It had over 50% of the tread left before we headed out on our trip.)

Chris turned the wheel and found the culprit, a huge gash in the tire, PLUS a very worn, barely there tread! (Guess he was trying to be a Charles-wannabe!) He pulled out his patch kit, tools, and compressor and began the repairs. They were puzzled as to how a gash got in the tire instead of just the normal hole. I then decided to tell them about hearing the rock being stuck in the tire. Seemed that made sense to them then. Apparently, while wiping sweat from his brow, Chris managed to touch his finger to his eye lash. OOPS! There was glue on his finger, and it glued his eye shut!!!! :D

I called Jeff in Houston and asked him if he could meet us in Tyler to pick us up, knowing the tire wouldn’t make it back to Houston. We were all bummed thinking we wouldn’t get to De Kalb for the Historical Marker photo. Well, Chris got the tire plugged and inflated, so we headed out again. I was riding on the back of Gary’s bike, trying to give Chris’s tire a needed break and make it last longer. We got about 12 miles, and the tire went flat again! And again, we were in the middle of nowhere. When Chris pulled off the road, a miniature Doberman and a Dalmation began running up at us, barking like crazy. Figured we were all 3 in for a dog bite, but they stopped at the last minute and stood there barking at us. When we took of our gear, they seemed to calm down and sauntered off back to their yard.

Chris again tried to patch the tire. While making repairs, the old man living on the property where we stopped came out to see what was happening. He told us that he had just used his Fix-a-Flat the day before, but that there was a store just around the next turn, if it was open. Well, it wasn’t (no surprise since it was Sunday). However, the next town was only 11 miles away. I hopped on the back of Gary’s bike, and we rode into Mt. Vernon to buy some “slime” (as Chris called it). We couldn’t find that particular stuff, but did manage to get some tire repair goop that was NOT recommended for motorcycle tire repair. (Didn’t know why, but soon figured it out!) Chris said he’d try to limp along to Mt. Vernon and ask Jeff to pick us up there. Driving 55 seemed like a snail’s pace. Gary even felt like he could get off his bike and RUN faster than we were driving. We made it about 6 miles, and the plug blew again!!! :( We pulled over, and to Gary’s and my amusement, the “Fix-a-Flat” imitator was spewing out of the gash!!!! It was making a huge pile of foam behind the tire. Chris climbed off his bike, looked at the puddle of foam, and shook his head in disbelief and disgust.

He tried to plug the flat again, but it popped out before we even got back on the road. He said, “I haven’t given up yet!” and proceeded to walk up and down the shoulder of the road. He came back with a piece of car tire rubber from a blowout. He eyed the measurement and carved out a piece of the rubber and tried to poke it into the gash on his tire. OOPS! He pushed too hard and the rubber went right through to the inside of his tire! Gary and I had to laugh at this, just another addition to the comedy of errors with this particular tire incident. Chris cut another piece of the car tire rubber, poked it into the gash (more gently this time), and voila! It stayed!!!! It still had a couple of small leaks, so he put in some of his plug repair stuff and got the leak stopped. Inflated the tire again, crossed our fingers, and told him to limp along, DON’T stop, and try to make it the last 4.9 miles to the gas station.

Well, at the “fork-in-the-road”, Chris took a left when he should’ve taken a right. This added about 2 extra miles to the trip. Gary and I both groaned, just knowing that the plug would blow any second and we’d be stranded again! Believe it or not, this car tire/plug repair was the best yet!!! It lasted and we made it to the gas station.

I called Jeff to find out where he was, tell him not to be in a rush, and to not get any tickets. Right when I said that, he said, “What the . . . f@$*k, I gotta go, mom!” There was a mom-n-pop restaurant right next to the gas station, so we decided to soak up some of their a/c, have some chow, and wait for Jeff (300 miles away).

When we walked in the restaurant, the owner greeted us with, “Well, no need to dress up on our account. Just come on in to our little restaurant all casual.” I told him, “If you only knew. It’s taken us 1 ˝ hours to try to make it 5 miles!!!” When we told him about the flat, he was extremely sympathetic and helpful. He offered to call some friends and try to find someone who could fix the tire so we could make it back to Houston. We explained that Jeff was on the way, and if he didn’t mind, we would wait there for our son. They were the nicest people, and took very good care of the 3 of us. The owner kept us entertained with stories of some interesting patrons he had over the years; told us they have another restaurant like that one in Garland, but they have 3 Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders that waitress at that restaurant; and some other cute stories. (NOTE: Chris and Gary BOTH kept staring at the waitresses. They were very young, but very cute and good bods!)

Chris decided to call Jeff and see where he was and to tell him that we didn’t make it to Tyler, but were a good hour north-northwest of there. Needless to say, Jeff wasn’t pleased. Seems he “had to go” when I was talking to him because a State Trooper had pulled him over for 85 in a 60 just south of Sheppard! :mad: Jeff knows the routine, so as soon as he saw the cruiser U-turn and lights go on, he pulled into the next gas station, turned off his truck, threw the keys out onto the ground, and stuck both his hands out the window. The officer had asked him if he knew his speed and what the posted speed was. Jeff was honest. The officer asked him if he had an emergency, to which Jeff replied, “Not really an emergency, but I am in a rush.” When asked why, Jeff told him that his parents had crashed and were sitting at a gas station in Tyler waiting to be picked up. The officer was very sympathetic then (believe it or not) only gave him a warning for speeding. (Jeff did get a ticket for no proof of insurance – he had forgotten to switch out cards when his insurance expired.)

About ˝ hour later, another cop pulled him over in Corrigan! :mad: This time, SHE pulled him over for expired plates (due in August, and out of state plates). Jeff knew he wasn’t speeding, and told her, “Ma’am, I just got pulled over ˝ hour ago for speeding. I’ve already been warned about my tags, no inspection, and not having my current insurance card.” Then he told her about “our crash” and being stuck in Tyler. Again, sympathy won her over, and he got away with another warning.

He reached the restaurant/gas station about 4 p.m. Chris had told him to bring another tire, which Gary and Chris changed out. Since we were only about 52 miles away from the De Kalb marker, Chris and Gary decided they were “gonna get it no matter what”! Jeff and I hopped in the truck (which my butt was very thankful to do), and headed south to Houston. Jeff muttered, “He better not have another flat, cuz I ain’t going back!”

From the hotel in McKinney to the restaurant in Mt. Vernon was 177 miles, plus the 22 for the round trip Gary and I made to the gas station and back. So, in 20 hours of being on the rode on a bike, I put in 900 miles.

Jeff and I had just stopped in Livingston for a break, when Chris called. They were about 20 miles behind us (don’t even try to figure the average speed, cuz they had at least an extra 104 miles farther than us; PLUS the time to stop and take the picture; PLUS having to stop and wait on a very slow train; PLUS stopping for fuel twice; PLUS a stop to wipe the bugs off their shields). They passed us someplace between Splendora and Kingwood.

Jeff and I pulled into the driveway at 11:00 p.m. Gary and Chris had only been home about 10 minutes, both still in their gear. Chris totaled 1,231 miles for the Historical Marker trip, and Gary had the grand total of 1,253!!! And we (they) got ALL the markers. Now, we just have to plan a trip for the September, October, and November markers.

Thank you so much, Gary, for being patient and waiting with us. I know you were anxious to leave and get to De Kalb, but I’m really glad you waited. Even if you had left, Chris would’ve probably driven up there by himself. Like you, he was determined to get that photo since we were so darn close!!

Hank, thanks for setting up this Historical Marker Challenge. We would never have gone to those places; would never had made such a long trip in such a short time; and would not have had the adventures we did on this trip.

Next time, we’ll remember to have other phone numbers of other TSBA members – not just Tommy Fox. It sure would’ve been nice to have called someone from DFW (100 miles away) instead of Jeff in Houston (300+ miles away). Any time any of you out-of-town TSBA guys are in our area and need help, FEEL FREE TO CALL. If we are home, we will help – no questions asked.

[ September 07, 2004, 11:44: Message edited by: Chatterbox ]

September 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Great story Cindy. I like your idea about making contact info available across cities. On that note, we need to update ours on the website.

September 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Charles Nevle:
On that note, we need to update ours on the website. Oh yeah, Chuck needs to be an officer.

And Cindy, you've exceeded your quota on consonants. Oh yeah, vowels too. No more typing for two weeks. :D

September 7th, 2004, 03:06 PM
No problem, Tommyboy! I think I've hit my quota of riding for a couple of weeks, too!!! :eek: :D

[ September 07, 2004, 16:06: Message edited by: Chatterbox ]

September 7th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Charles Nevle:
On that note, we need to update ours on the website. Oh yeah, Chuck needs to be an officer.</font>[/QUOTE]No thanks, I prefer to complain rather than actually do anything to change things. :D

September 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Charles Nevle:
No thanks, I prefer to complain rather than actually do anything to change things. :D Are you a firefighter too? ;)

September 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
OK, Tommyboy and Charles Stealth-Squid, enough of the hijacking of this thread. Input on the story here - nominations and election topics/advice on the other thread!

BTW, Tommyboy, you'd better go read what I wrote about you over there! :D

September 7th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Chatterbox:
Next time, we’ll remember to have other phone numbers of other TSBA members – not just Tommy Fox. It sure would’ve been nice to have called someone from DFW (100 miles away) instead of Jeff in Houston (300+ miles away).Randy Bain has a data base of emergency contact volunteers from each chapter. I'm sure he'd be happy to supply the list to anyone that ask's.

September 8th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that list has been available for several years now.

Sorry we missed your call -- but I noticed that you didn't leave a message!! What's up with that? Sometimes whenever I return a missed call from someone who didn't leave a message all I learn is they mistakenly dialed the wrong number from their contact list. Tenna and I were grooving to a (final) concert by Phil Collins and so I left the phone in the car. We would have been happy to help you out with both a tire/tools/lights as well as a place to spend the night!

The Big Spank Daddy
September 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
We called Saturday night to see what you and Tenna were up to. Maybe see if you guys whated to get together. No answer so we just assumed it would be to late by the time you got the message, so we did not leave one.

Tire tools...

Had all that covered, what I really needed was another tire. Jeff drove up from Houston and brought me one.

September 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Oh, yeah, I've got quite a selection of new and used tires -- stacked over 5' high in my race trailer. Coulda save him a big time trip and visits from the highway patrol!

The Big Spank Daddy
September 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM
****! Guess I should have called. Just keep it to yourself though. If Jeff finds out he'll be po'd.