PDA

View Full Version : 9-12 SMR Ride Report

Schreck
September 11th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I'm going riding...See you out there! tongue.gif

Brian Montgomery
September 11th, 2004, 08:14 PM
we shall see....lol...i'll be there too...

StuartR
September 11th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I'll be at the JIB by 8! smile.gif

Schreck
September 12th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Can you say LOVE-BUGS? Bugs in the Summer and Lance Armstrong wanna-bees in the Fall and Spring.
13 or 14 showed, what a turn-out so Chris can tell the story today or someone else who rode today. Now I must go and get them **** bugs off my bike and leathers. tongue.gif

[ September 12, 2004, 14:04: Message edited by: T. Schreckenbach ]

Brian Montgomery
September 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Bugs? What bugs...I rode all day and didn't see one of them. Maybe cause my visor had guts all over it. I wish I had the camera with me. It was a site to see 200+ bugs all over the bike. Stuart myself and nameless on a CBR600rr finished the complete route. The Bugs almost went away south of Chappell Hill. All in all, it was a fun ride. Glad to see such a great turnout. And to see Hank from DFW on the ride.
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/bugs02.jpg
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/bugs01.jpg

arpad
September 12th, 2004, 01:59 PM
2:45pm. Just got in.

I left El Campo at 9:00am. Arrived in Fayetteville at 10:00am. Empty parking lot. On to the usual route to Chappell Hill. BUGS!!! BUGS!!! BUGS!!! I had to stop and wipe every 20 minutes! After Chappell Hill I could count only fives bugs on my visor all the way back to El Campo by way of Sealy. Broke my new bike in today. In the worst way... I'll never get them all out. I am likely to find bugs hiding in here for a year or more. Lonely ride. I wish I had gotten up sooner...

Brian Montgomery
September 12th, 2004, 05:10 PM
For those that are riding in this crap, you need to check the radiator...Mine was plugged up with the bastards. I am suprised that I didn't overheat the bike. Also, you might want to check the air filter too especially if you have ram air...

The Big Spank Daddy
September 12th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I spent a good hour getting them all out of my radiator. They were all glogged up in my helmet vents, oooohhhhh.

When we were at Sommerville I sprayed on some Plexus and did not wipe it off. I washed my bike as soon as I got home with tons of H2O. I think the Plexus helped a little. They cleaned off a lot easier than I expected.

I tried the Peroxide on my helmet. That seemed to work really well. As for my gloves, pants and jacket? Well I guess they'll just wear off eventualy.

I was one of the lucky few who have some degree of fairing protection. Poor Jim Trimm looked absolutely awfull with the measily protection his ZX6 had to offer.

This was truely the worst Love Bug incounter I've ever experienced.

BTW, I would like to thank Hank from DFW for joining our little Love Bug mass murder party today. Hope it was a better trip back Hank.

[ September 12, 2004, 19:32: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

Vee4Rider
September 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
BTW, I would like to thank Hank from DFW for joining our little Love Bug mass murder party today. Hope it was a better trip back Hank. Thanks for showing me around today. My trip back was good. I arrived home about 15:30. Unfortunately, the bug massacre didn't stop until I was well north of Madisonville.... :mad:

WFO
September 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Paul Sonderdorf led a four bike party north through the forest, 3090, 362, 1488 and back to Champions area. We encountered **** few bugs compared to you guys. We left at 7:00 and finished by around 11:15.

Tim and I did the normal SMR 2 weeks ago and encountered the same mess as yall did.

I don't know if the bugs are late sleepers or just are'nt as thick in the woods.

Paul Sonderfan
September 12th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Let me say 2 things, northside and early. Cool weather, no popo, and minimum bugs. The cleanup today was maybe a quarter of what I had last week on the Fayetville run. A soft bristle brush and some car wash concentrate seems to work pretty well for removal, on the leathers as well. Thank God I'm not the kinda guy to say " I told you so"....no, not me. :rolleyes: :D

tmtaz21
September 13th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Saw Tony in Fulshear, man what a sight. If the rest of yall look like he did you will be wearing bug guts for awhile :D . I have had good luck using Simple Green to get the bugs of, but that might be because I also use a spray wax after I dry the bike off. Sounds like it was still a good ride, wish I could of gone :( , maybe some time in the near future.

[ September 13, 2004, 19:40: Message edited by: T. Tyrrell ]

Brian Montgomery
September 14th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Well, I pulled the filter and this is what it looked like...
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/bugs03.jpg
And this is what came out of it when I beat it on the cement...Talk about bug guts galore!
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/bugs04.jpg

AaronEustace
September 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM
That's disgusting. However, it does remind me of the Ray Bradbury story "A Sound of Thunder". For all you non-literaries it's basically about a company who gives Big-Game hunters a ride back to the dinosaur days so they can 'bag' a T-Rex just before it was about to die anyway. The problem is you can't disturb anything else or it 'might' change history. Well the guy freaks out and steps off the path and kills a butterfly. When they get back the world isn't quite the same. The theory is that the butterfly killed would have fed something that fed something else and on and on up the food chain throughout history.

So Brian, you're little bug collecting expedition just changed the future of the world...hope you're happy tongue.gif :D .

Brian Montgomery
September 14th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Ok...does everyone know that Aarons post made it official...Aaron's wreck has caused him to lose his mind!...lol bwahahahahaha!!!!

-=sean)=-
September 14th, 2004, 10:48 AM
The Simpsons copied that story in a Halloween episode.

See even us illiterates can follow along when a show or movie is remade based on a book. tongue.gif

[ September 14, 2004, 11:50: Message edited by: -=sean)=- ]

Schreck
September 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Brian, that filter looks like it hasn't been cleaned for some time.....Looks like rubber dust off the back end of someones tire if you asked me...? Well maybe she'll run as good as she looks now that you got her breathing clear again...Bawawawawa...lol...later! ;)

Brian Montgomery
September 14th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Well the rubber wouldn't be from your back tire Tony! tongue.gif I actually think it would be the rubber from my front tire since it has more wear on the sides of it then your rear! tongue.gif

Schreck
September 14th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Well, isn't that just funny Brian....I cleaned my air filter and not a speck of tire dust to be found, only Love Bugs...100's of them must have deflected off your bike and went right into my air intake.....****....Bawahahahahaha....What's this my front is worn out more than you rear crap??? That's only because I don't put 2nd hand used front tires on the GSXR.....Lol...hehehe. tongue.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
September 14th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Hey! :eek:

I take offense to that "second hand" comment.

I did not even think about checking my air cleaner. Might be a good idea after seeing what came out of my radiator.

Brian, tire rubber? Nah, just soot from the smoke Tony's been blowing up your a%$. :D

[ September 14, 2004, 20:51: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]