PDA

View Full Version : Old fashion tire changes

WFO
September 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I have been changing my own tires sans machine lately. Three big screwdrivers and a 2x4 got the job done in a Kerville parking lot. It scratched some paint so when I saw some cord after de-bugging this Sun. I decided what the hell, they are already scratched, I'll just change them myself and save a little cash. I noticed a yellow paint dot on the new tire. Someone told me that it identifies the heavy side of the tire and that it should be mounted opposite of the valve stem, which should help counter balance the weight. Does any one know otherwise?

The little dot was ignored on the last change in the parking lot. I never had it balanced and have not noticed any vibrations even at 150+mph.

I don't think I want to try this on the front tire because the rim is not scratched yet and it is probably more sensitive to balance than the back.

Any comments on the subject?

Brian Montgomery
September 15th, 2004, 05:24 AM
The dot indicates the lighter side of the wheel and should be lined up with the stem.

That info can be found on the web in several places.

Look under "What Are Those Dots On The Sidewall?"
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/Balancing.htm

The Big Spank Daddy
September 16th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Gary and I removed my back wheel and had the tire off the rim in less than 10 minutes on our last adventure.

Tire tools? Not a one. We used the V-Strom's side stand to break the bead, an axle wrench and it's extention to remove the tire from the rim.

As for balancing, well I've gotten away without doing it several times.