PDA

View Full Version : Another "pace" discussion/SMR

VFRacer-R
January 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Chatterbox:

Yeah, our group basically stayed within the speed limit. But WE DIDN'T RIDE OVER OUR HEADS.
As far as stopping to wait all the time, our group didn't have to stop and wait once. Chris, as our leader, rode "The Pace". He went through the corners at his speed, but then slowed and gave everyone else a chance to catch up. Thus, we never had to "wait" at stops or turns for everyone else. He pretty much kept everyone in sight at all times. That's what "The Pace" is about.
Having not been there this weekend, it is hard for me to "see" what some people seem to have a gripe about. From the people I talked to, they talked about what a good time they had and how many people were out there, and how nice it was.

As far as stopping, there are stopping points at every SMR, and I can't remember going on a ride to Fayetteville where we didn't stop at all the stopping points to get the head count and meet with the sweeper. Sometimes stops were longer with a bigger group, sometimes I have been waiting for (what seemed like) minutes for the next riders to catch up (I was probably riding way too fast... sometimes you get caught up in the fun of an open road ;) ), sometimes the stops were short with a small group.

Cindy and anyone else that does not want to, or feels like they are not experienced enough to ride at the faster pace should not feel ridiculed or singled out for that. There is a place for everyone on these rides, and it doesn't matter how fast you are, or think you are.

Cindy (or anyone else that would like to) I will be at the Lonestar Track Day on the 7th, and my race bike will be sitting after lunch while I work. Come on out and turn some laps, at your own speed. If you think you are a fast mo fo, come ride the "A" group, and see how fast you aren't!

Chatterbox
January 10th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Tommy, I appreciate your offer and would love to take you up on it, but I don't think your race bike would know how to handle going that slow! :D

Seriously, though, I don't really feel ridiculed by the more experienced riders. Maybe I do have a "thin skin" when I hear some teasing, but it depends on who's saying it. There are some people that take teasing way too far, and lots of us females/slower riders don't know if they are serious or not. You know the old adage, "You wouldn't say it if you didn't really mean it."

That being said, I also thought this weekend had gone really well. Everyone in our "slow" group said they were having a good time. No one left our group at lunch. No one complained about being behind a slow or unsafe rider.

The other post just took me off guard, and I am overly sensitive to feeling like I'm holding everyone up. Maybe I, along with several others, took this to heart when it wasn't aimed at us specifically.

I apologize if this is the case.

BTW - maybe after a few more months of dropping my $400 bike, I'll take you up on your offer of a few laps around the race track - after lots of coaching first, of course! :D

VFRacer-R
January 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
If you saw some of the slower riders in the "C" group, you would realize that you are quite capable of riding the track.

As far as my bike not being able to handle how slow, you may be surprised to find how fast you will go on a well prepared bike! When a bike handles really well, it is confidence inspiring, and you will go much faster than you think you are going.

You'll be ready soon.

JohnT
January 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Beavis: Hey Butthead, where'd you get the cool fishing rod?

Butthead: Uh, Anderson's TOOL shed.

Beavis: Did you see his TOOL in there?

Butthead: Uh, no. Just his ROD.

Beavis: Heh heh....Cool.

Sorry Tom, haven't done that in awhile smile.gif