PDA

View Full Version : GPZ Fixed?

The Big Spank Daddy
February 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Some of you may know about my on going handling problems with the GPZ. In a turn it acts like the rear tire is flat.

I have found several problems, but none of the subsequent repairs totaly cured it. I've just learned to live with it and ride around the problem.

Well about a month or so ago it got so bad it is truely a handful in turns under 55mph. Brian rode it about that time and was shocked at how squirrley it was. So it has been mostly parked waiting on me to get around to it. In the mean time I got the Bandit and FJ up to snuff and have been riding them.

Finally, I got around to it yesterday. Under braking or pushing it off the center stand I can hear a metal to metal clunk. Sounds like the head bearings (which I have had trouble with before being too tight). So I start to check it out. Canít really determine exactly for sure it is the steering head so I tighten it up all the way to eliminate any possible play. Metal clunking noise still there.

Hmmmmmmm, so I start to check the forks and wheel. What I find is that the wheel bearings are bad allowing the wheel to move laterally a 1/4Ē or more! How I never noticed this before totally baffles me.

Luck would have it that Wild West had the bearings and seals. Cindy goes by there on her way home from work and picked them up tonight. I replace them and find that the seal on the left side by the speedo connection is missing. That particular bearing was the one with the most wear/play. I get it all together and take it for a short spin around the neighborhood. It seems to be cured and turning is much improved.

Iíll be taking it to work tomorrow and see if it is for repaired for good. (fingers crossed)

Schreck
February 3rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Good Luck! I bet that was the problem Chris.. :D

CalamariKid
February 3rd, 2005, 11:42 PM
Hope it works out for you. If you are coming to the meeting Saturday, do you mind bringing your chain tool, I need to change my chain and sprockets. Could get it back to you on Sunday.

Pete
February 4th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I had my front wheel bearings fail on my F3 at about 80 on I-10. :eek: I lost my front brakes totally from the rotor jumping around so much between the pads. I was able to wiggle the front tire around between the forks by hand. Luckily I was able to ride home at 25mph.

The Big Spank Daddy
February 4th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Road the GPZ to work this morning. Wow, what a difference! It was like riding a totaly different bike. It turns so much better with no drama. Before any type of bump or dip in a turn completely upset it. Now it holds it's line and any type of pavement irregularity has no affect on it what so ever.

Charles, I have to work but Cindy and Jeff will be there. I'll give the tool to them.