PDA

View Full Version : So Charles, How was it?

Brian Montgomery
February 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM
Where is the ride report from the HSTA Big Bend Ride?

Also, when did you want to bring the trailer back?

Vee4Rider
February 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Has anyone heard from Charles?

Last time I saw him Saturday, he was flying west on 170, back to Presidio. He was supposed to drive the car back to Terlingua & meet us for dinner. I didn't know his cell phone number or where he was staying, so I couldn't call him.

CalamariKid
February 21st, 2005, 06:15 PM
I'm fine, made it back all in one piece, was just too tired to head back for the round trip Hank. I would have called so you guys did not worry, but I did not have a number either.

Brian, I can bring it by this week if you need it. If it can wait until Friday that is better as my wife is out of town this week. But I can make it work if you need it earlier.

OK, for the trip report. 170 (River Road) KICKS ***!!! I stayed in Presidio, which is about 70 miles East of Terlingua where the rest of the group was. 170 is the only direct road between the two towns which means I did a lot of back and forth on it. Other than about a 3 to 5 mile stretch which is under constuction and is at various stages of tar/gravel/gravely tar/gravely asphalt/dirt the road is awesome. I can see why this is ranked by many as the best road in Texas. Beautiful scenery, great curves and elevation changes (the road has a 15% grade section which is the steepest of any Texas Highway) and a whole section of mogules, one of which you can catch pretty good air off of.

I got there Thursday morning and spent the day doing a loop from Presidio to Marfa to Alpine to Tereligua and then back to Presido. Did a bit of sightseeing so that took up the whole day. Friday I went into the Nat'l Park to the Basin and did a tour of a desert garden and history museum in the State Park. In the late afternoon I met up with the HSTAers, registered, took the bike back to Presidio and then caged it back to Terilingua for dinner. Great group of guys, ran into Todd and Hank from the TSBA and met a whole bunch of really cool dudes. I made arrangements to meet the group for breakfeast and headed back to Presidio. The reason I switched for the car was b/c I did not want to do 170 at night with the bike given the road construction, it was tricky enough during the day. But even in a Toyota Camry that road is fun, though my car's suspension may never be the same.

Saturday I met up with the HSTAers for breakfeast as we took over the town. Then Hank, myself and 4 others headed to the Park. The 4 were Randy and another guys whose name slips me who ride with CMRA, one of Randy's sons and another young guy, the son of another HSTAer. We road to Santa Elina (sp?) Canyon, then the Basin for lunch, then off to Rio Grande Village and then back to Terilingua. The Canyon is stunnigly beautiful. Seeing it begin to rise as you approach it from miles off is just plain awesome. Walked around in the canyon a bit, had to keep Hank from swimming across (have pictures to prove it).

All in all a great time, but a long friggin drive to get there and back. I am very glad I caged it, thanks again Brian!

BTW, XM Radio Rocks! Had great reception all through the park.

Only one speeding ticket, 93 in a 70 from a cute DPS officer who I guess did not like me commenting on what a pretty badge she had.

Hank, sorry again if you guys were worried, I was just too pooped to make it back out there.

I'll post some pics on my imagestation account later tonight and put up a link then.

Schreck
February 21st, 2005, 07:55 PM
Nice story! Glad everything went great for your trip Charles.....Guess you couldn't get a break out there eh....Now you know why they call it BIG BEND... tongue.gif

Vee4Rider
February 22nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
Glad to hear that everything is okay, Charles. I thought you might have backed out on dinner, since it is a long drive.

The other CMRA racer with us was Glenn Bradshaw(on the 'Wing), known to several TSBA members statewide.

When we stopped in Lajitas, on Friday, we actually met & talked to Gov. Rick Perry. Randy took a picture of Rick as he was bribing Clay Henry III(the mayor of Lajitas) with a beer. :cool:

[ February 22, 2005, 03:35: Message edited by: Vee4Rider ]

Brian Montgomery
February 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM
I am taking that this Randy was the Owner of Cycle Center of Denton and not Randy Bain correct?

CalamariKid
February 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
Not the Bainster.

Vee4Rider
February 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
Brian,

You are correct, Sir!!!

Randy Martin, owner of C.C.O.D., is a long-time HSTA member & a TSBA member. He was riding a new Goldwing down in BBNP. With the correct rider aboard, those new Goldwings haul ***! Glenn Bradshaw was riding his Goldwing with peg feelers ground down into the peg & scrapes on the belly pan. They were easily doing more than 2x posted corner speeds. Randy could have ridden any of the new Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki sport bikes & Glenn left a 929 in the garage.

Makes you wonder if maybe those "old man" touring bikes might be due for a new image. We even had a couple of young 24'ish CBR riders that gladly took the opportunity to switch bikes with 'Wing riders for awhile. ;) ;)

On this RideTheRio trip, I decided to experiment with the Conti Road Attack tires & they ROCKED!! I'm hopeful that the mileage will be as good as the wet & dry handling.... :cool:

CalamariKid
February 22nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2130393940&code=14673153&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

if you need a username and/or password you can use TSBA for both

Brian Montgomery
February 22nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Vee4Rider:
On this RideTheRio trip, I decided to experiment with the Conti Road Attack tires & they ROCKED!! I'm hopeful that the mileage will be as good as the wet & dry handling.... :cool: I had one on my GSXR1000 and it held up really well. I was very much suprised. I had eaten up the rest of the 2/3 of my M1 sportec in Arkansas on the first day of our 3 day trip. So went to the cloesest motorcycle shop and picked the only tire that they had and that was the one I got. It lasted 2 more days of abuse and then several 2 up SMRs, and also the Fall Hill Country IBI. I took it off after that and I still have it with good tread on it. I am amazed. It is reminding me of the BT020 that Pete had on his bike. Hes still has it more than a year later! :eek:

Vee4Rider
February 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Cool!

Thanks for the info, Brian.