PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the rain tires/gear

The Big Spank Daddy
July 3rd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Just some FYI for anyone interested.

For years I've run the Metzeler ME33 Lazer on the front because of its wet weather abilities. My rear is a Metzeler ME55 Metronic. I had never run this tire before and choose it because that is what Metzeler recomended.

All the rain this past week has allowed me to put these tires to the test in the wet. They work better than any tires I have tried in the past. The ME33 was already a given and works okay in the dry but is very touchy about low air pressure in it. Under hard braking you can feel it sqirming around with just a 1 or 2 pound pressure below 32. Get it up over 32 and it's fine. It works extremely well in deep water on the raod with no suprises.

The FJ has a lot of low end torque and I was concerned about it breaking the tire loose in the wet. Metzeler told me that the ME55 Metronic was specificaly designed for water dispersion and good traction in the wet. Not one time this week has it broke loose or suprised me. It also works very well in the dry and I've had no problems with it breaking loose or kicking out. At first I was a bit disapointed in its wear life but I now have 7K miles on it and it still has about .003" to .004" to go until it gets to the wear bars.

Yesterday it rained very hard on the way home and there was quit a bit of standing/running water across the road and I was driving at 55 to 65 and neither tire ever hydroplaned or gave me any indication that they might loose traction. I have a Bridgestone BT45V rear in the garage that I might put on this weekend. I bought it because of price, $50 less than the ME55, and I will let you guys know how it performs in the wet and dry.

I was being cheap, and desperate, and bought a two piece rain suit at Wal-Mart for $25. I figured if it just got me through one or two rain days I'd be okay until I could get something better. I've used about 10 times in the past 3 months and after yesterday I decided it was a great deal. I mean to tell you that it was raining extremely hard and I have about 30 miles to drive to get home. It kept me 100% dry with the exception of my boots and hands. It is fairly thick PVC material with Velcro on the wrist to seal it tight and is vented. The pants are nice and large to fit over your cloths and have pockets on the outside. I wear my Phoenix jacket over the outside of the suit.

What I need now is suggestions on some water proof boots or boot covers and gloves or glove covers from you guys who ride in the rain. It would also be nice to get some feedback on other tires and possibly gear you might use in the wet.

breeno
July 3rd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
What I need now is suggestions on some water proof boots or boot covers While I'm no Tour Master like some of the guyz around here, I bought a set of Sidi Sympatex boots (a steer from JohnO) and loved em. Rode through a rain + snow storm and came out the other side with nice warm dry feet. :D Totally comformtable, and if ya wear em under your jeans, they do look like a dress boot. Kewl deal, a bit pricey tho... :(

http://www.motonation.com/600/gtsympatex.jpg

More info at MotoNation - Sidi Importer (http://www.motonation.com/)

I bought mine locally at Moto Libery, cause I like Audrey & the crew :D

The Big Spank Daddy
July 3rd, 2002, 07:49 AM
How much?

breeno
July 3rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Think the retail is like 275$.

Louis Reinartz
July 3rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Or.......you can get platic bags from any store and use them when you need them!Cheap and easy fix to keepin your feet dry

royfzr
July 3rd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Louis, on the day of flooding in SA did you get your feet wet or did you use the Walmart plastic bags

Stretch
July 3rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
When I rode in the rain on Saturday, I got up to 80 on the south part of the Beltway. I've got some new d207's. The only thing that I didn't like was changing lanes. Those reflectors in between the lanes tended to deflect the front tire to either side.

mgtx73
July 3rd, 2002, 12:40 PM
I have those boots. Great boots and totally waterproof. Just a bit pricey. I will have had them 2 years this coming October and they look and function fine even considering they made it through a low side.

mike

Inlaw1
July 3rd, 2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mike Goodman:
I will have had them 2 years this coming October and they look and function fine even considering they made it through a low side.Are they everyday boots? And do they breath very well? Like, how do they work in summer?

Anyone use a Goretex boot? If so, how well do those work. They say they breath well and still keep you dry. I just wonder how much they do breath, and how dry they really do keep you.

Anyone?

929Pete
July 3rd, 2002, 07:27 PM
Gary, for general use, I have a pair of Alpinestar boots that have a Goretex lining. I can wear them comfortably year-round with no problems with sweating (and I have very sweaty feet). I have worn them through rainstorms where I couldn't see 15 ft. in front of me, and they kept my feet completely dry. I can't remember off the top of my head what the name of them is, "Stage" maybe, but I know Alpinestar has replaced them with an updated version.

Louis Reinartz
July 3rd, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by RoyWileman:
Louis, on the day of flooding in SA did you get your feet wet or did you use the Walmart plastic bagsI used bags from TEXACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warm ,dry feet :D A warm dry bed to go with them :cool: