PDA

View Full Version : Riding Gear

Tim Schukar
July 25th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Howdy!

I just bought my first sport bike and I am in search of a good textile summer riding jacket, some good boots, and some good summer gloves. Any suggestions or warn offs? Thanks!

The Big Spank Daddy
July 25th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. Retails for about $139. You can get one at almost any bike shop for that price. A few shops like Stubbs may have them marked up for about $169 so don't get taken.

My son & I lucked into some Joe Rocket matching gloves at Polaris West in Katy for $49 and match the jackets perfectly. They look really bulky and heavy but feel just great. I ride my bike everyday and I personally have the silver and black Phoenix jacket. The mesh allows air to flow through freely and also acts kind of like a shade keeping the sun off of you. It does get a bit warm at a traffic light but not uncomfortably hot.

I have not had the misfortune of testing out the protection of this attaire but I've been told that they hold up quite well in a spill.

Pete
July 25th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Welcome Tim,

A good place to go for gear is Motoliberty up in Dallas. Granted its a bit of a drive but they have a large selection and personally I need to try the stuff on to make sure it fits right. For some reason size and fit vary quite a bit between manufacturers. Try to get the best stuff you can with the budget you got. Cheap gear is better than no gear but I feel premium gear is worth the money if you can afford it.

The textile jackets are good but if you plan to hit any track days you might want to consider a 2 piece leather suit that zips together at the waist and most importantly make sure it is FULLY PERFORATED or else you will die in the Houston heat!! You can also buy jackets that have the zipper around the waist if you want to buy pants at a later time. I have a JR Phoenix jacket too which is nice for cruising around town but wouldn't wear it for anything other than that. I wear a one piece perforated race suit for SMR's and even in the heat it isn't too bad as long as you keep moving.