PDA

View Full Version : New Member

bbray
July 29th, 2002, 03:28 PM
I am finally on board. I have met some of you at the SMR (Pete, Randy, Chris). I wanted to ask if any of you are running radar dectors and if so what works best? I am looking for something that is battery operated (vs having to hard wire) and has a ear piece.

Thanks.......

The Big Spank Daddy
July 29th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Well, since I was with you, you know what I have. Maybe the other members out there may be using something and can give us some input.

Louis Reinartz
July 29th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Welcome Bill,sorry I missed meeting up with you.
I dont use radar on my bike but do in my truck I run a V1.
I think the web site is V1.com or valentine1.com,something along those lines.
The V1 is by far the best radar system I have ever owned. I have owned,checked out or been in vehicals with pretty much every system,wont go wronge with the V1.

Tim Thompson
July 29th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Bill, I'll jump ship from the DFW site for a minute and say welcome!

I have a Bel (980??), it runs on batteries, and has a small speaker which velcros in the helmet right beside the ear. The cord from the speaker plugs into another cord right at chest level. The second cord plugs into the detector itself.

If you jump off the bike and forget to unplug it, it just pops apart, no harm done as long as you don't pull the detector from it's mount. I zip-tie the cord where it comes out of the detector to something solid so it doesn't pull right on the detector when that happens.

I had a good mount which was basically a rod with a tripod-type head which went down the center hole in the triple trees, but now that I have a Scotts installed I'm looking for a new way to mount the detector.

BTW, it works great. It's saved me so many times I can't begin to count. Definately the best money I've spent on the bike. I took some pics for another guy, let me know if you want to see them and I'll email them to you.

bbray
July 29th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks Louis and Tim for the input.

Tim,

Can you hear the unit ok with the ear piece? What about with ear plugs in?

Tim Thompson
July 29th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Can you hear the unit ok with the ear piece? What about with ear plugs in? I can hear the speaker fine, in fact the volume is just about right, and I never ride without earplugs.

I agree with Louis on the Valentine, from what I have read it is the best. I like the price and convienence of the battery-powered detector, but it probably doesn't perform as well as the V1.