PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 5-22-04 East Texas ride

The Big Spank Daddy
May 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Cindy and I are riding East Texas this Saturday. It will be an exploratory ride to check out some new tarmac. As of right now I have no definite start and finish time. What I can say is it will be an all day afair and probably well more than 300 miles.

The Big Spank Daddy
May 21st, 2004, 06:33 PM
A new Pilot Road is installed on the Bandit and suspension set for two up.

I'll be at the Wendy's on 242 one block west of I-45 at 9:00am. I plan on heading towards Jasper, Rusk, Henderson, Garrison, San Augustine and Timpson areas. looks like I will not be back to the Woodlands until about 7:00pm.

WFO
May 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM
Chris,
I need to ride tomorrow and I'd like to explore more of the east Texas' roads. I'll be there in the morning if you don't mind a tag-along.
Thanks
Brad hearn

The Big Spank Daddy
May 21st, 2004, 08:02 PM
No problem. Jim and Linda are also going and will be on Linda's Goldwing. Jim is just itching to use his new ZX6, but he has a little back problem. What better way to cure a back problem than in a rolling lounge chair. :D

We are actually going to be at Wendy's a little early so we can have a bite to eat. We will be leaving at 9:00.

[ May 21, 2004, 21:05: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

WFO
May 22nd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Just over 500 miles door to door. Sweet! For those of you who get tired of Fayettville or the northern route, try East Texas. You won't regret it.

We ranged from Rusk to Nacogdoches to Colmesneil to Cleveland and more. We traveled nice roads at a pace that allowed for some site seeing. I certainly had fun.

Cindy, I enjoyed meeting you. Jim and Linda, It was nice to ride with you. And Chris, great navigating as usual.

Thanks yall!

The Big Spank Daddy
May 22nd, 2004, 08:42 PM
536 miles later........

Whew, what a ride. Cindy and I started out from the house at 7:40. We met with Jim and Linda at the Wendy’s on 242 for breakfast about 8:30. I little bit later Brad Hearn came along to join us. Cindy and Linda babbled along while Jim, Brad and I talked about important stuff, bikes. We then loaded up and headed out about 9:30.

We took a more direct route towards Rusk where we wanted to check out a few different roads. 752 was a pretty good road. 225 I’ve done before in a car between Douglas and Henderson and is an excellent road. When we arrived in Rusk the center of town seemed deserted. We drove around the town square looking for some place to eat and or get fuel. Nada, nothing. We park and ask a deputy sheriff where everything is. He directs us to the out skirts of town on 69 and 84.

There we find a bunch of the same old stuff, DQ, Taco Bell, Whataburger, etc. So we see this little diner spot and go for it. The food was so so, but at least it was different. We load up our bods with fuel and then the bikes and head towards Nacogdoches via 343. 343 turns out to be a pretty good road. We get through Nacadoches and take 2259 and then 226. Both are very good except for the last 6 miles on 226 where the tar snakes are huge. This would not be a good road in August. We then get on 1669 to 69 and into Colmesneil.

By far the best roads are between Votaw and Colmesneil. The route to Colmesneil and back to Legget would be a good SMR route.

In Splendora we stop again for fuel and we are all getting worn out. luckily it is only a few more miles back to the house for us. Cindy and I finally make it back at 8:30 after doing 536 miles door to door.

Along the way we saw what looked like Thompson’s Gazelles at the corner of 2781 and 2780, Linda gets her wish when we stop at a DQ for a Peanut Parfait, Linda and I had our fill of sissy coffee and Brad now has PETA after him for harming the wild life (I’ll let him explain). The price of gas was outrageous! I paid as much as $2.20 for the precious fluid. Most places regular was $1.92 or more. Aside from gas, we had no incidents and saw no cops to speak of. Oh, and on the back roads, no cars to speak of either.

tankmonkey
May 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
By far the best roads are between Votaw and Colmesneil. The route to Colmesneil and back to Legget would be a good SMR route.I used to live in colmesneil - lots of great roads out that way (many unpaved :D ). seems like kind of a haul to get all the way out there from houston, though.

The Big Spank Daddy
May 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM
THIS IS CINDY.

OK, here’s some of the juicy stuff they left out.

While sitting at Wendy’s Saturday morning, I saw a silver sportbike whiz by West bound. We thought it was Brad, but didn’t get a good look. A minute later, here goes the same bike whizzing by East bound! That has to be Brad – can’t see the Wendy’s with all those darned trees! Yep, it’s Brad – pulling a U-turn and into the parking lot.

Time to go. Head on out of town and ride for a while. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing bad either. Cruising on, making a couple of longer-than-normal stop sign stops so Chris can look at his map.

Pull into a small community, and Chris hangs a left at the fire station. Not too bad a road, but kinda rough. Get to the other end and the intersecting road says East left and West right. Hmmm, how could this be? :confused: We were on the road before this heading East, made a left, which would make us be heading North. If we were heading North, how could East be to the left?

Chris hangs a left. Gee, this road looks familiar. Man, I thought houses out in the middle of no where usually look really different from each other. OOPS! There’s that fire station! Seems Chris made a wrong turn and we went a “loop” in a circle!! :rolleyes: OK, so now we’re on the right track.

Several miles (and seemingly hours) later, Chris hangs a left (who knows where?) and pulls over to look at the map again. Linda is waving her hand frantically – or is she just beating Jim? Next thing you know, she’s off the bike!

After getting his bearings again, Chris starts up the Bandit, Brad revs his engine, and we start to pull out. Linda hops back on, and we’re on our way again.

After SEVERAL more miles (and seemingly several more hours), we pull into some teeny tiny town to eat. NOTHING – NADA- ZILCHO to be seen. We kindly pull over to a Sheriff and ask for a recommendation. Like Chris said, he pointed us in the direction of the “usual” spots. However, we found a mom-n-pop joint and pulled in.

There goes Linda again. Wiggling her arm around – or is she still beating Jim? NEITHER – while riding, a big old bumble bee (you know, the HUGE kind), had stung her on her thumb!!!! :eek: It was swollen, turning purple, and a red streak shooting up her arm. But she was a brave soul and said she’d be fine. Inside the restaurant, a cup of ice water helped to ease the pain and swelling.

While stopped for lunch, Brad informed us that he had almost been able to provide his own “lunch”. Seems a squirrel had scampered across the road right behind the Bandit, narrowly escaping death – only to be caught once again in Death’s door! SPLAT!!! Brad hit the poor, innocent creature not once, but with BOTH tires!!!! :(

After resting our tired derrieres, we piled back on the bikes to head across the street for fuel. I told Linda she should take some Benadryl for her bee sting – it would help the swelling and itching. Apparently, Linda’s never before taken Benadryl. I told her it could “possibly” make her a “little drowsy”, so she opted to take one instead of two.

Let’s just say that at the next stop, Linda was yelling, “Woo Hoo!!” and having a really good time!! ;)

The guys never complained, but I’m sure they were glad to have us girls around. Since we had to stop for all the “sissy stops”, they could stop and stretch without having to look like the girlie-men they are!! tongue.gif

All in all, it was a wonderful day. Yes, we were all a little sore, but it was worth it. 536 miles in 13 hours – and NO ONE thought I could handle it that long!! Guess I’m getting an Iron Butt after all! NO COMMENTS ANYONE!!!!

See you guys at the next IBI, and my seat will be ready for it!

I used to live in colmesneil - lots of great roads out that way (many unpaved). seems like kind of a haul to get all the way out there from houston, though.
Sorry, Scott, but I'd have to put you in the "girlie-man" category, too! If I can do it, anyone can!! :D

[ May 24, 2004, 09:19: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

tankmonkey
May 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
Sorry, Scott, but I'd have to put you in the "girlie-man" category, too! If I can do it, anyone can!! :D eh?

you're talking to someone who's ridden a 398cc bike from college station, texas to ft smith, arkansas (via nacogdoches) and back in 36 hours - that's a 1,004 mile round trip.

of course, the bandit was missing the left footpeg and I had an injured knee and ankle on the return trip to college station. (I'm not even going to mention the rain/hail/tornadoes I rode through on that unfaired bike sans rainsuit...)

I'm also pretty sure that I'm the only one posting in this thread (so far) that has done the tmgp 12 hr endurance race on a production ysr 50 (twice).

my credentials with respect to masochism are impeccable, thanks... tongue.gif

(and I got yer "girlie-man" right here! :D )

The Big Spank Daddy
May 24th, 2004, 11:47 AM
CINDY AGAIN:

Just wanted to make sure someone else was reading this! You know what a whiner I am. So, if I can ride that long and far, anyone can! :D ;)