PDA

View Full Version : I'm back-let's ride!!

racer-x
August 2nd, 2002, 12:49 AM
Hey ya'll w/a little help I'm finally able to post (thanks Pete). For all ya'll I don't know I guess a little introduction is in order: my name is Eric and I was a TSBA member from back in around "91 thru '95 or 96. I currently pilot a yellow TLR and am finally returning to riding after a way too long lay off.
I'm planning on riding Saturday from the Alvin Busy Bee, eat around 0830a head up around Brazos Bend, Crabb River, and 359. Then Hooters on I-45 in Clear Lake for lunch.
I wanted to go on the I.B.I. but I'm on call Sun. morning at work so it just wasn't feasible.
On another note what happened to Scott Dennis? This sounds eerily like an incident that ate a beautiful VFR back in the day .
Anyway, I made a meeting a couple months ago and met a few folks and I'm looking forward to some riding again.

racer-x
August 2nd, 2002, 12:56 AM
I won't be on the web again till monday, if you want to contact me you can reach me at 832.282.4169

The Big Spank Daddy
August 2nd, 2002, 06:30 AM
Well the bulk of the hard core TSBA riders are on the IBI this weekend. Myself and the ball & chain will be at Freebirds Saturday around 11:30ish making arrangements for this months meeting on the 10th.

I'll be riding with the HSR guys out of the JIB in Brookshire Sunday at 8:00am to Fayeteville.

Pete
August 5th, 2002, 07:22 PM
No need to worry Eric because we've got the fall IBI coming up in October! We are having a meeting this weekend at Freebirds on Saturday and doing a ride on Sunday. We're out pretty much every Sunday. Right now we meet at 8am but probably in another month we'll push the start time back to the more regular 9am departure.

Louis Reinartz
August 5th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Eric,
We are riding this weekend,look for this Sundays ride notice to Fayetville..see you Sunday!

Scott Dennis
August 5th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Eric, you wrote:

"...On another note what happened to Scott Dennis? This sounds eerily like an incident that ate a beautiful VFR back in the day..."

Oh so true. It looks like this time the victim was an equally beautiful black Aprilia Mille, and the folks at the hospital in Kerrville did their usual outstanding job patching up the human damage. They did an awesome job on me back in '93, and they didn't even preach about the dangers of motorcycling. I guess they see it frequently.

As an aside, I found the Held gloves I was wearing when I obliterated the VFR that beautiful Sunday afternoon. If you ever question the importance of top-shelf safety gear, look no further for evidence. My hand got pinned solidly under the bike at 80+ mph, and I vividly remember trying to get free as I slid along the pavement. I fully expected to have ground off a few fingers, but was stunned to realize I had only a few minor hand abrasions. My knees didn't fare nearly as well (even heavy jeans are useless at those speeds), and my shoulder ground through to the bone after my jacket rotated down enough to expose the skin underneath. Safety tip: Jackets should be zipped up fully for maximum protection. I had the zipper down about four inches from the collar to let some air flow through. Nice idea, but the pavement flowing through during the accident was infinitely worse than a little extra heat.

I'm rambling, aren't I? So sorry...

-sd

[ August 05, 2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Scott Dennis ]

Louis Reinartz
August 6th, 2002, 05:22 AM
No really Scott go on,cant seem to preach enough about safety gear.
If Les had been wearing leathers he would have walked away.Jeans do not hold up well at slow speeds of 35-40mph.

Yuliya
August 6th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Scott, did I miss something? When did this happen? Hope you're doing ok now!

Inlaw1
August 6th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Yuliya:
Scott, did I miss something? When did this happen? Hope you're doing ok now!This all happened years ago out in the Hill Country Yuliya. Scotts all better now.....well, at least if he's on his meds that is smile.gif I don't think the bike recovered as well, it may still be in several baskets in his garage. It's all a learning experience, right Scotty?? smile.gif

[ August 06, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Gary Stoops ]

Scott Dennis
August 6th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Gary... I think. And the meds are great, thanks for asking! smile.gif

Yuliya, this event was unquestionably the lowest point of my nearly 30 year riding history. Simply put, I made a HUGE error in judgement and paid pretty dearly for it. It was back in 1993, on a charity fund-raiser for the Ronald McDonald House, and I let my enthusiasm override my common sense. After too-many miles of extremely aggressive riding on Highway 336 (sliding both ends of the bike, dragging the bodywork way up on the sides, et cetera) the inevitable happened and I lost the front in a big, fast right-hander. It was a frightening crash, as I fell near the exit and slid - pinned under the bike - a long way up the oncoming traffic lane. After what seemed like an eternity, the VFR and I left the edge of the pavement and went our separate ways. The bike ended up buried way back in the trees against a large boulder. I somehow tumbled over the rocks, around the end of a guardrail, and through a few seedling trees before coming to rest. When the group found me, I was wandering dazed and confused down the middle of the highway; I remember zero of this post-crash period.

All things considered, I was incredibly lucky. No broken bones, but some nasty open-knee flesh damage that took months to heal. If you've noticed the scars on my knees and lower legs, that's what its from. The bike was heavily damaged, but not destroyed. It is still, as Gary indicated, in a state of partial reassembly in my garage. Sort of a 550-pound paperweight, plus a couple of boxes of miscellaneous parts that I can't remember where they fit.

It totally changed my views of street riding, and gave me 100% focus on the racetrack for my speed fix. It was a stupid thing to have done, I accept full responsibilty for the crash (it's hard to call this one an accident), and I'm very fortunate to have been given the opporuntity to learn from my mistake.

The one positive note from this episode was a refocusing of the TSBA on a philosophy of more intelligent, safe, and sane street rides. Although I don't really ride much on the street these days, I appreciate the ongoing efforts of everyone to ride smart & in control. Talent only takes you so far, and bad judgement WILL catch up with you eventually.

I guess I'd better step down from my soap-box and get back to work. Man, I forget what the question was that started this whole response...

racer-x
August 9th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back' work is a 4 letter word sometimes....
SO, Scott, I take it you came out better this time than last even if the bike didn't? I hope so.
I was right behind Scott on my Kat11, 2 up, when he went down, it was very ugly. the only time I can ever recall him not wearing full gear and he destroys his knees.
On the topic of street vs race I posted my 2 cents but I must admit that we had just come off a race weekend and had been seriously shredding the twisties all weekend. So you've got to make a concious effort to control your speed on the street sometimes because your personal comfort/skill level may be just a little too high.
I had already ground off the sides of my pegs and skinned the cannister following Scott all weekend.
Anyway it's great to be back and hopefully I can get myself up and see ya'll at Freebirds(I'm working all nights this weekend.5p-5a)

Scott Dennis
August 9th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Eric wrote:

"SO, Scott, I take it you came out better this time than last even if the bike didn't? I hope so."

I haven't had a second event; I learned my lesson back in 1993. I think the confusion comes from a reference in this thread for an accident Les Kerr had on his Mille a couple of weekends ago in the Hill Country. My street crash count is still only one in 22 years, and that's one too many!

racer-x
August 9th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Scott, so glad to hear you havn't eaten any more rocks, Les, we havn't met but I hope you're OK and the Bike is back on the road soon.
I careemed off the side of a Chevy truck Sunday, yep, it can happen to any of us.
Are you gonna try and make the meeting tomorrow? I'm working tonite but I'm gonna try to get up then go back home for another nap before I go back to work.

Lisa/Troy Macy
August 12th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Hey Eric! Better known as my big brother! Have you been trying to call? We were out all of Saturday for our Anniversary (#17!!!). I've been enjoying reading the posts here, reminds me of the "old days". Troy wishes he had a bike again. One of these days. There are some great roads here ya know!

Scott! Glad to see you're still alive and kickin'! Haven't heard from you in eons! Hope all is well for you.