PDA

View Full Version : Almost solo ride

rtbain
May 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
A bunch of stuff going on made me go out for a solo ride to help maintain my limited sanity. Ah…… Something about just riding and working on basic skills always relaxes me. Not a long ride, up 362, on to 3090 then back home the same way.

Just nicking through the gears, keeping my speed a pretty constant 80, no brakes. Very low key.

About a mile up 3090 I came up on someone on one of them plastic covered motorbikes (they all look alike to me). This guy was shot gunning down the straights and parking it in the curves. After a few turns of this I could not resists tucking under him on a lefthander, executing a clean pass.

His predictable response was to blast by me on the straight. I maintained my pace and caught him at the next lefthander and did it again. I am a bad person. ;)

This went on for the whole of 3090 and was a lot of fun for me. When we got to the turn around point I was not far behind him and we stopped to talk in the shade.

He was a little defensive at first but I told him about another way to ride that challenges skill more than motor. I told him about brakeless riding, keeping his eyes on the exit, using counter steering on entrance and the throttle to stand the bike up exiting the corners.

I told him that by keeping top end down it made it easier to practice these skills. It’s hard to learn new skills (or practice old ones) when running at full capacity. We decided to play this new game on the return trip, swapping lead often to view and be viewed.

His corner entrance speed and line improved after a few turns of no braking entrances. His throttle control improved as well. All in all it was a pleasant positive experience for us both. We broke off at 1488 with a wave and a smile.

VFRacer-R
May 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
About a mile up 3090 I came up on someone on one of them plastic covered motorbikes (they all look alike to me). This guy was shot gunning down the straights and parking it in the curves. After a few turns of this I could not resists tucking under him on a lefthander, executing a clean pass.
Yeah, Tony doesn't like getting passed on the left.... :D

The Big Spank Daddy
May 22nd, 2004, 07:42 PM
Damit Tom! You beat me to the punch. :D

Glad to hear you got out for a bit Randy. A solo ride is always good for the soul.

VFRacer-R
May 22nd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Just got lucky Chris.

To those of you who have asked, no, I won't be out too soon on Sundays. The only time I ride on the streets is when Les lets me ride the 'Priller. I will likely be out in a month or so when the race season takes a break (for the hot weather) if Les lets me... (it is such a sweet bike too!) I just have little desire to ride on the streets any more. Too may squids (current company excluded, TSBA is a great group to ride with) and old ladies... not to mention the cops. Funny to say it, but I like the track so much, that I am pretty well giving up riding the streets any more after almost 20 years...
This racing season is so much different than when I raced as a kid. Still have money to worry about, but now it's things like: "I don't want to spend the money on an extra muffler can..." from when I was a kid: "I can't afford to buy tires to race the sprints next weekend..." or: "I can't afford the gas to drive to Henderson AND buy tires..." Big difference!

Gonna post a race report on the "Trackdays and Racing" forum in a minute from Hallett. :D

rtbain
May 23rd, 2004, 04:42 AM
It wasn't Tony! smile.gif I fear I have done enough damage there already.

I understand you giving up street riding after racing. It’s hard to make the speed switch and the streets seem so dangerous compared to the track. I too gave up the streets while racing a few decades ago.

Here is me beating a dead horse once more but that is exactly the reason the PACE was born. Keep terminal speeds reasonable and the pace “moderate” leaving reserves to deal with road hazards. No one “wins” a street ride.

VFRacer-R
May 24th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
Here is me beating a dead horse once more but that is exactly the reason the PACE was born. Keep terminal speeds reasonable and the pace “moderate” leaving reserves to deal with road hazards. No one “wins” a street ride. Yeah, but I don't ride near the speeds of the track when on the street (well, 'cept when I get strafed by Brian or Louis and I need to make a point! ;) ). I never believed in track speeds on the street, too many unpredictable factors, not to mention the road conditions are not kept up like track surfaces are (supposed to be anyway). Long story short, I usually ride the pace or **** close to it- the corners are what it's all about anyway. I would rather deal with traffic on SMRs than the "rubberband man" riders- that just frustrates the Hell out of me! And I won't go buy a new bike just to compete with idiots that ride like that.
There are several reasons that I am not riding on the streets much any more. But it just holds no facination for me, I feel like "been there, done that" in many ways. One scary thing about it is that I was having a conversation with Louis the other day, and we were talking about how having a 'Wing may be the way to go! The spousal unit would ride on that (will not ride on sport bikes), they are comfortable, they have gobs of fuel injected 6 cyl power... just nice all-around bikes for the street. Besides, we get our jollies corner carving in a "controlled" environment on the track, it removes the need to do it on the street. Maybe I am getting old... :D