PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

David Smoot
August 6th, 2002, 01:14 PM
I've been lurking about a month or so now.

My name is David Smoot, I live in the Clear Lake area and work for a NASA contractor at JSC. I'm 31, married, and have a 2 year old boy. I'm actually bikeless ever since I had a freak accident on my 99 Magna 8 months ago.

I know Scott Farmer from another online group he and I used to be in, he actually helped me shim the carbs in my magna a few years ago.

Wife just finished Grad school a few months ago so now it is time to get another bike. Actually, she's in an interview with Memorial Hermann as I type this so with any luck I'll be two wheeling again soon. Anybody that knows of any openings in the Human Resources field let me know.

The bike I've decided is best for me is the Honda 919. I test rode a SV650 and it was a good bike for the money but not enough zip and too mushy a front end. Test rode the 919 it was a great bike. I've considered the FZ-1 but I don't like the front fairing and I would rather have FI than carburetion for the small price difference. Plus I like Honda's smile.gif . I am trying to set up a test ride with a guy in Cypress to check out his 98 SuperHawk but our schedules and weather keep conflicting.

So I was going to wait until I bought a new ride to introduce myself but I saw the post about the meeting at Freebirds Saturday. Freebird's is my all time favorite restaurant. So I can't resist the urge to sniff bikes and eat burritos even if I have to cage it there.

Learned to ride on a 91 Zephyr 550 in probably the worst way, had a new one delivered to my house and read the manual and started riding. Loved that bike and put 25K miles on it before a Buick put an end to it. Good gear saved my butt and I used the settlement to buy a 93 ZR1100. That bike was great when it ran but was a maintenance nightmare. Since they only imported them for 2 years parts were ridiculously expensive. Finally got rid of that POS and spent a few years poor before I got the magna. Loved the magna but it had a few shortcomings in handling that I learned to live with. So when I totaled that bike in December of last year, it made more sense to get a cheapo car than another bike so I could haul the rugrat around.

Now the wife is job hunting and when she finds a job, I get another bike. There is a used 919 at a dealer in Lufkin that I have not gone to see yet but their price is high. If they are willing to negotiate I'll probably go used. If not, Lake Hill Motors in Corinth, MS has them for $1200 under MSRP! If I go new, I'll probably wait until the 2003 models are announced just to see if they fix any bugs.

Well, a huge long post to introduce myself but I wanted to say hi before I just showed up at Freebirds this weekend.
David Smoot

TZ Rider
August 6th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Dave, Dave, Dave, not enought ZIP? How much do ya need? LOL! To put it in perspective, why I went ahead and got the SV now rather than waiting to buy a bigger bike when I thought I could afford it, the SV will run with the open class stuff from the early 80s in a quarter mile. We're talking XS11s and crap. To me, that's pretty darned impressive and plenty of go so suit me. As for the mushy suspension, I've fixed that with some 20wt fork oil and race tech springs. The 919 will likely need some tuning like that, too. From what I've read, it handles well, too. The SV's handling is very sharp. It's light and I like that. Hell of a bike considering what it costs. I'm not sure I'd like the 919 compared to the FZ1 or ZRX or even the Bandit 1200, but it probably does turn in a bit quicker, have a little sharper handling. I'd have to ride all three to verify that, but just going on what I've read. It's a neat bike, but God, get a paint job on the thing, LOL! That flat black does nothing for me. Too, I like twins. But, there's plenty of bottom end with a liter bike. I just don't care for the small power bands of the 600s. Too much rowing the shifter on the street. And, I like the sound of a twin and the feel, a bonus. The SV is a fun bike to ride, own, lots of character in a small package.

Louis Reinartz
August 6th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard and thanks for the history.
If you are interested in a dealer than will give you a great deal, contact....Cycle Center of Denton,let Barry or Randy know you are a member of the TSBA Houston chapter and you will get a killer deal..I promise.
There number is 888-808-1251 or check out the web site www.cyclecenterofdenton.com (http://www.cyclecenterofdenton.com)

Best of luck in your search for the new ride and if I can help let me know!
See you at Freebirds!

Louis Reinartz
August 6th, 2002, 01:44 PM
I'm with Jack, the SV is a great bike!
By the way CCOD sells Honda,Kawasaki's and Suzuki's!

David Smoot
August 6th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by TZ Rider:
Dave, Dave, Dave, not enought ZIP? How much do ya need? All I know is I was lucky enough to get to test ride a SV and a 919 in the same day. Usually when I step on a new bike there is a certain amount of fear until you get used to the throttle. When I test rode the SV I found that I pretty much had the throttle pinned a lot. If I was pinning the throttle within 10 minutes of sitting on the bike, how bored would I be in a year? I know it has a lot of potential, I just don't want a project, I want something ready to go.

The SV's handling is very sharp. It's light and I like that. Hell of a bike considering what it costs. I'm not sure I'd like the 919 compared to the FZ1 or ZRX or even the Bandit 1200, but it probably does turn in a bit quicker, have a little sharper handling. The handling on this bike is very sharp and light. I loved it. Since you mentioned the other candidates, the Bandit is almost there but the air cooled is a big turnoff. I don't want to mess with commuting in this heat on an aircooled bike. Just something else to worry about while dodging traffic. And after the screwing I got maintaining my ZR1100, I'll never own a Kawi again.

I just don't care for the small power bands of the 600s. Too much rowing the shifter on the street. And, I like the sound of a twin and the feel, a bonus. The SV is a fun bike to ride, own, lots of character in a small package.agreed, that is just another strike againt the SV. If it were an SV1000, I would be taking a lot longer look. As it is, I'm looking at the Superhawk as well but the high insurance is a downside. Surprisingly, on paper the numbers for a 919 and a Superhawk are very similar in terms of weight, HP, torque, etc.

I wish someone could explain Honda USA's logic behind color schemes. The 919 is manufactured in Gloss black, flat black, metallic silver, candy blue, and red. The USA is the only country that gets flat black and no other color choice. I never understood why Honda USA always imports only one color on many models.

David

[/QUOTE]

[ August 06, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: David Smoot ]

TZ Rider
August 6th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Well, I detect a difference in personal preferences here. The 919 is a good bike. BTW, I've heard a lot of recent rumors of a pending SV1000. Might have to make a trade, LOL! But, I've always prefered quick handling to big power, why I've always raced GP stuff. If I were into power and slow handling, I'd race something totally different from an RS125 Honda. The RS can't accelerate like a GSXR1000, but bubba you'd better move that overweight POS over when I dive off into a corner! That is, if I'm close enough after being passed by a 40 mph speed deficit on the straight, LOL.

I've found that about ANY bike I've ever owned gets old power wise after I get used to it so I stopped chasing horsepower long ago. If the bike handles, if it'll turn and stop, no matter how fast it is in a straight line it won't intimidate me. I never tire of sharp handling, though.

That said, the 919 probably is the sharpest handling of all the big sport/standards. It's a bike I could quite enjoy, though the acceleration I'd certainly get used to and bored with like any other bike I've owned. It's the sharp handling I would enjoy with this bike. It's been decribed as a liter engine in a 600 chassis, not a bad combination for back road fun. I could certainly enjoy owning one.

BTW, something I forgot to mention that I don't like about the 919, the exhausts under the seat. Dosn't look like soft bags would last long being cooked by those cans. Perhaps they're better insulated than they look? Not very practical if they aren't.

Pete
August 6th, 2002, 05:22 PM
If you want something along the lines of an SV but with more zoom zoom the only place to go is Ducati. There Monster line has a 650, 750, and 900 (I don't remember the displacements exactly but they are along those lines). Great bikes and they are the bread and butter of the Ducati lineup. They sell bunches of them. The only drawback is the darn desmodromic valve system that has a service interval of an oil change.

If you want a Honda the Superhawk and VFR both have cult followings but are a bit more pricier and have higher insurance. The 919 if I remember correctly is relatively cheap which is good and leave money left over to buy some gear.

Oskar_Z28
August 6th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Hey, what's wrong with the SV? smile.gif I can hang with most of the faster guys in the corners. Only when we hit the straights hard, I get left behind. But you're right. I'm also looking for more for the street. The SV will become a track bike though. Don't need that much power to go fast at the track.

OH, BTW - welcome.

TZ Rider
August 6th, 2002, 06:18 PM
"If you want something along the lines of an SV but with more zoom zoom the only place to go is Ducati. There Monster line has a 650, 750, and 900 (I don't remember the displacements exactly but they are along those lines). "

But, if you wanna top the SV in performance, you're going to need the 900 Monster which costs more than the 919. The SV will kick sand in a 750's face. And, the 919 has normal valves and valve maintenance intervals, normal for now days anyway, under bucket shims. It's the valve train that turns me off to all Ducatis, just not practical bikes to live with. If I thought of a bike as a toy rather than also being everyday transportation, I might could live with one, but my bikes get ridden and if you gotta spend a friggin' day with the valves four times a year, that'd get old quick.

[ August 06, 2002, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: TZ Rider ]

magzx12r
August 6th, 2002, 09:08 PM
I am new to the board also. I live in Pearland and ride a 2000 ZX-12R. I have ridden on rides posted on the HSR board several times, but have not ridden any of the rides posted on this board. I will try to make some of the TSBA rides in the near future.

Chirpy
August 6th, 2002, 09:55 PM
The "pipes" that you see on a 919 are mostly heat shield., The actual pipes are little XR100 sized things inside the heat shield.

Even after a pretty good run (one VTR tank) the pipe covers on a 919 are merely warm.

Now the TBR "stash" pipes are really trick...wonder where they got the name :confused:

Daryl

Scott Farmer
August 6th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Mr. Smoot!!! Welcome aboard.

Same goes to you Mark. Glad to see you found your way over here.

Two more members in the Clear Lake area. We're taking over guys. Mwuhahahahaha.

I'll try to see everyone at the next meeting.