PDA

View Full Version : That's it, I've had it!

The Big Spank Daddy
August 14th, 2002, 06:33 AM
I'm so PO'd this morning. Now I can see why some of you guys gave up driving on the street. Since getting my warning by the DPS on Barker Cypress I've tried so hard to keep to the posted speed. Even though other drivers flash their lights and honk their horns at me. Rather than speed up I'll slow down so they can get around and I keep to the slow lane, which by BTW is the most dangerous for a bike.

All was well, except for the usual light flashing and horn honking, down Barker Cypress. Make my left onto the I-10 feeder East bound and this black Corvette runs the stop sign by the cop station infront of this big SUV who then swerves into my lane to miss the Corvette. Close call but no contact and everyone calms down.

Now normally I would say most Corvette owners drive fairly cautiously, but this guy was a nut. He was trying desperately to pass cars but just could not. Now my experience on this feeder street is to keep in the left lane to avoid cars turning right into a new construction site and the car dealers. Obviously this Corvette was not familiar with this road. He constanly got boxed in driving in the right lane. Well as my left lane began to progress beyond the traffic in the right lane he decides to shoot left with out looking and guess who's there. You got it, me.

Now there is no shoulder on this feeder street and thankfully no curbs. He forces me all the way to the edge where I manage to hit the horn button startling him and he violently jerks it back to the right where this other car is stoping to turn right. He has to get on the binders hard to keep from rear ending this car. This puts him back about 100 yards and opens up a gap for several vehicles, including myself who by the way is doing the posted speed, to move over to the right so we can make our turn behind the hotels and over to Highway 6.

As I'm braking to turn right I see head lights coming up behind me at a high rate of speed and the horn blowing. Yep, you guessed it, the Corvette. Now my blood is starting to boil, but I maintain my self control and focus on the strange convoluted turns ahead covered with wet stuff from the near by water sprinklers. However, this Corvette continues running up on my tail blowing his horn. He only lets off his horn to zig left, horn, zag right horn, hard left horn.

By now enough is enough and my blood is way past it's boiling point. I may have an old bike and be an old fat guy, but no one is going to intimidate me like that. Down shifted twice, made a few California splits, whipped through the chicane just before Highway 6, like EBoz through the Laguna Seca Cork Screw, and so long Corvette.

The moral of the story is this. I'm contacting the local Constable, Harris County Sherrif, DPS and HPD, and complaining about their lack of basic traffic law enforcement. I get pulled over in the middle of a pack of traffic going with the flow while nuts like this guy in the Corvette run people off the road. This story was about me but he was doing this to every vehicle near him. To make it worse it was all in front of and within a mile of the cop station.

Sorry for venting but I had to do something with my fingers before I hurt myself. Believe it or not, after zipping through some traffic and hitting a few traffic lights green I settled back down and drove the speed limit the rest of the way to work.

[ August 14, 2002, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

Pete
August 14th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your incident Chris. Thats a common occurence during rush hour traffic due to people being frustrated and in a hurry. What is really scary is when someone is traffic weaving in a SUV. About a month ago a Suburban zoomed past me on the beltway doing around 90 and got boxed in between two cars right in front of me. Just as one car cleared the other one giving him just enough room to squeeze through he decided he'd teach them a lesson by cutting over as hard and quickly as he could. He ended up fishtailing on two wheels, almost hit the wall, then overcorrected and fishtailed into the other lane before gaining control and stomping on the gas again and speeding away. What an idiot, I was hard on the brakes thinking he was going to flip it. Complaining I think will just get you more coppers enforcing a ridiculouly slow speed limit on your route to work. However if you see this guy everyday then you might want to turn him in. Anyhow be careful going home today.

The Big Spank Daddy
August 14th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Yea, now that I've had time to "cool" down I've had second thoughts about the complaining. I think your right about the extra LEO presence just to get some one for something as silly as a license plate lamp or something.

I was in the "why me" mode and then I thought about what I had written and realized that it was not just me, he was aggressive with everyone.

Warren White
August 14th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Hey Chris. I work in that building (Diamond Offshore Building) the is on the right where you turn off the I-10 feeder. Depending on what time you come through there, there is a police officer directing traffic into our parking lot where the road turns left behind the hotels. He probable couldn't do too much now but you could still let him know about the corvette. Speaking of that chicane right before 6. I love that little twist. It makes my morning everyday. Since im going the other way there is never any traffic, just traffic comming at me that i have to watch out for. What time do you run through there in the morning? If ya see a Black GSXR 750 with a bright orange helmet comming the other way... wave.

[ August 14, 2002, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Warren White ]

The Big Spank Daddy
August 14th, 2002, 07:53 AM
I come through between 6:15 and 6:30. I've never seen a cop there so that is probably way to early for him.

My problem with that chicane is that there is usually a bit of water in the curb after a rain like yesterday and it gets splashed up into the right lane sometimes. But your right , it is my highlght of the day.

Hey, tell your building people to fix their sprinklers! One of them only sprinkles the street and not the grass. If I happen to go by before 6 it gets me. The first time it scared the crap out of me but I've gotten use to it.

Hey just another thing, my bosses name is Warren White. When I saw your first post I was wondering why on earth he would be at this site and who allowed him to post.

[ August 14, 2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

Brian Montgomery
August 14th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Chris, I know some people may criticize me for saying this but I ride to work almost everyday and I feel alot safer going just a little faster than the traffic say around 5 mph faster. Not blazing through traffic like I have seen others (Squids) do on sportbikes. I noticed that when I travel with the traffic I have more close calls. People just don’t seem to see you when you are riding along side of them. Especially when they are expecting car to be next to them and not a small bike. As long as I am passing the cars I have a little more control over where I am going to go. It seems that most police are understanding to this. Anyway, I feel that a ticket is a cheaper price to pay than my life. You may disagree with me in my thoughts on this. And I do realize that Barker-Cypress is significantly different than the freeways. Hell, the FM roads are some of the most dangerous roads to ride on cause the amount of traffic and the lack of a shoulder. Be careful out there. Get a tag of the Vette if you see it again.

The Big Spank Daddy
August 14th, 2002, 09:01 AM
I have always thought the same way and I too feel more "in control" driving just a tad faster than traffic. The problem is that traffic is now mostly traveling at 15 to 20 mph over the posted speed. In order for me to be that little bit faster and stay out of harms way I have to be doing 20 to 25 over. Being on a sport bike only welcomes that much more attention from LEOs and with the added speed a ticket is a given.

****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.

[ August 14, 2002, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

Brian Montgomery
August 14th, 2002, 09:15 AM
I feel for you man...

The Big Spank Daddy
August 14th, 2002, 09:34 AM
You know, it's not just the bike. The same problem is in the car. Your cruising down 59 south along with everyone else at 70 when you notice the cars in front of you have moved to the right to exit. You top the over-pass at Fondren and baby blue with flashing lights gets your attention. You think to yourself, "Crap", and he zips by and tags some low riding Honda Civic with a primer painted skirt kit, blue head lights and funny sounding exhaust instead and you breath a sigh of relief.

I heard a comment on the radio station the other day, "Why does everyone speed down the over-passes only to hit their brakes at the top of the next one?". Gee, I wonder if those baby blue Cameros sitting on the shoulder on the other side have anything to do with that?

Warren White
August 14th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Your too early for the cop. He is out there from like 7:30 - 8:30 holding up traffic so we can cross the road and get into the parking lot. I sent an email to the building manager about the sprinkler. Hopefully they can fix it before you get another shower. There is one by my house that gets me early in the mornings. You never see it comming and then its blam right in the face with a shot of water.

The Big Spank Daddy
August 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM
What time do you go home and which way do you go? I usualy take the Grand Parkway home but occasionally break up my routine and head North on Highway 6 from Sugarland. I'm up that way around 5:30.

Warren White
August 14th, 2002, 03:45 PM
I leave here between 5 and 5:30 I usually head north up Hwy6 till it turns into 1960 and then take that on to 45. I live right off 45 and Airtex.

sober1
August 18th, 2002, 03:35 PM
I'm glad you got away from that guy without LEO problems or worse yet, an accident.

I agree about driving a little faster than traffic. I have to drive offensively in order the defend myself.

I am from College Station. Last week, I had a bike cop hassle me about my license plate as they pulled into a gas station. They were right--no ploblem there. Found out later they told my friend that works there that I ran from them a few days earlier, which I did not. I found out which cop it was. I pulled up to one of his bike buddies a few days later in an effort to locate that guy to set the record straight, otherwise they all will be after my yellow and black gixer 600 for anything. In a small town, it is easy to find. Anyway his buddy called this guy up on the radio, told him what was going on and the guy said he was not able to talk right now. Meanwhile after only 4 minutes, two of the other bikes cops show up and another one was on his way as I was leaving. They were like bees swarming. So, 4 of the 5 bike cops in town were able to show up instantly but the last guy could not--left me suspicious. Point is, I was a little bothered that they have now pegged me (and my bike) as a trouble maker.

If you go talk with them, it might be a good idea not to take your bike. It has been my experience that they personalize these things.

Good luck. May the Good guys win.