PDA

View Full Version : 05 – 06 June HOR Report

rtbain
June 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Ok, maybe not an official HOR but we had enough members go to make that claim. Present were myself and my lovely bride Susan, Andy Compolo (friend from work on a metric cruiser), Brad Hearn, Jim Trimm and Linda Tupper (Winging it), and last but certainly not least Paul Sonderfan.

We had a short chat Saturday morning before we left and everyone got a map, and exchanged contact information just in case. Of course I left my copy on the kitchen table and had to keep looking at others map the entire trip. Linda mentioned she would like to see some Harleys this weekend. We all agreed to do our best to make that happen.

Under threatening skies, we headed out. Andy mentioned road construction on 359 so we took the back way to Hempstead and into Bellville. We encountered very slight drizzle, but the morning was almost cool thanks to the cloud cover.

Bellville to La Grange via 149 then up to 153 and through the park. The road through the park was still damp with more than normal debris, wet debris at that, so the pace was kept down a bit.

Left the park and when through Uhland and the northern route by-passing San Marcos. It was here we turned the fast guys loose and set a meeting point. Traffic was heaver than normal which made enjoying the roads a bit less enjoyable.

We found out why once we got to Wimberley, it was the monthly Market Days event and the town was packed. Traffic thinned once we headed out towards Blanco and the pace picked up a bit.

After lunch in Blanco we pointed west and turned the fast guys loose once more. We agreed to meet in Luckenbach. I mean really, how can you NOT find someone in Luckenbach?

Well having the ROT rally in Austin helps out a bit. We get to Luckenbach and find a sea of Harleys. My thinking was two rice burner crotch rockets whose riders were wearing full gear would be easy to spot. I was wrong. We missed them. I figured they missed the turn into town and were headed towards Fredericksburg. So we bailed.

We went south on Ol’ Number 9 then into Comfort. Took I-10 to the Cypress Creek exit where I pointed us in the wrong direction, straight back on to I-10. Oh well, so we head straight for the hotel and unpack.

Paul and Brad showed up about 30 minutes later. Paul told us they saw us. They were standing by the black Harley with lots of chrome. The rider was wearing a black t-shirt and had lots of tattoos. How could we have missed them?

Brad impressed me by finding Ol’ Number 9 with the “less than detailed map” I had provided. Even better was they took the correct turn and road Cypress Creek road into Kerrville.

While standing around the bikes shooting the breeze Paul noticed the cord in Brad’s rear tire was showing. Uh oh. All the shops were closed so Brad calls his brother (somewhere in the Houston area) and asks him to grab a tire, some tools and drive up that night. They would change the tire in the parking lot and be ready for tomorrow morning.

We ordered pizza and adult beverages and sat around shooting the breeze. I learned these things during our conversations:
Paul is a smart ***. I have to bow to the master on this one.
Linda comes a very close second.
Everyone else was very well behaved and we enjoyed a nice evening. A bit after 9:00 we all decided to turn in. No telling when Brad’s brother would show.

Bless his heart. Turns out I-10 was closed for a major wreck and it took him until 4:30 AM to get to the hotel. Brad wakes at 6:30 AM and finds his brother asleep in the truck. He wakes him and they get the tire replaced in the parking lot in less than an hour using screw drivers, one tire iron and a bead breaker cobbled together out of a two by four and a short length of pipe. Is there nothing this Brad guy can’t do?

We had breakfast and decided to head west on 39, through Lost Maples, then back up 16 before heading home. Now remember Brad is on a fresh rear tire, not scrubbed in. We head out 39 and I wave the fast boys by after agreeing to meet at 187/39 junction.

Upon arriving we found that Brad and Paul were swapping bikes. The group headed down 187 to the next meet point of 187/337. We found them waiting at the 187/337 west intersection. Of course my lovely bride is saying “go west young man” but our time is limited and we head south to the east bound intersection. If Susan had her way we would end up in Ft. Davis. And since we are this far west why not New Mexico?

I digress, the next meet point was Medina. After forming up we head north on 16, once more turning the radar bait loose. Neither Brad nor Paul had taken this route before and were on bikes they had less than 100 miles on. I doubt either was pushing very hard on borrowed machinery.

Nonetheless I took advantage of the situation. I noticed we were reeling them in as things got tighter near the top. Hum. With Brad leading and Paul behind we came up on their tails and waited for our chance. Brad went wide on one turn going across the road just missing the Armco and into the marbles.

I swear I heard two people scream, but for different reasons. Brad was praying loudly while Paul was encouraging him to fall underneath the bike should things go wrong. Brad keeps it upright and manages to get out of the gravel without incident. Paul had pulled to the side to watch the scene in horror.

I of course did the honorable thing and passed Paul. I made sure I had enough room to get around Brad should he eat it. But Brad gassed it up and was still in front. Now something like that would rattle anyone. Most nice people would wait patiently while his adrenaline level and heart rate dropped. I decided to pass.

The group stopped for fuel just before getting into Fredericksburg. I took the opportunity to point out that they had just been passed by an old fat guy riding two up on a 10 year old dirt bike. They failed to see the humor in this, I forget the reply but it was something about my questionable parentage. I asked if they could please keep the speed up in the turns or move over for faster riders. Paul’s response was “Well if I see a faster rider I’ll pull over”. See? Smart ***, and good at it too.

We headed south on Cypress Creek road with a meet point at I-10. We drudged down I-10 to Comfort then headed east on 487. Our next meet point was Devil’s Backbone. Without event we made it to San Marcos and Brad took us to Grins where we enjoyed a nice meal.

After lunch “it” happened. Now I am a firm believer in karma and that God has a sick sense of humor. Everyone was gearing up. Susan and I finished a bit early and began baking in the sun. I noticed Brad sitting in the shade and decided to join him. Please remember my smart comments earlier.

The parking lot was fairly steep. As we pull alongside Brad in the shade I got off balance and started my fall towards the downhill side of the bike. As my bike is falling Brad thinks fast and moves forward to avoid the carnage surely to follow.

There is no graceful way to fall of a motorcycle that is standing still. And when it goes down hill its just that much worse. Of course once everyone found out no bodily harm was done the ribbing began. Took three of us to right the pig. Not too much damage. The right jug took a scuff, broken right turn signal. Right mirror knocked loose. Not too bad all in all.

Tightened the mirror back up and away we went. Headed east out of San Marcos and pretty much duplicated our route home except we skipped the park and went through Round Top.

We broke ranks on 149 and headed home. All in all it was a fun trip. Five bikes makes a nice sized group and we managed to make everyone reasonably happy.

Next weekend we head to……

[ June 08, 2004, 06:41: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]

The Big Spank Daddy
June 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I have some JB Weld for that turn signal :D

Heck, it'll even take care of that scuff on the jug (the one on the bike, not the one you were sipping on :eek: )

[ June 07, 2004, 20:37: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

Brian Montgomery
June 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Wow, TSBA is becoming more and more like The Houston Sportbike network by not posting up rides then coming on the board to say what a great time they had on their ride that no one else knew about.

Schreck
June 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
I was asked Brian but I was at Randys house too...Anyway, I think you have a valid point on the out of town trips.... :D

rtbain
June 8th, 2004, 05:13 AM
1. It started out that Susan and I were just getting out of town for the weekend and grew from there. We wanted a small group, relatively slow paced.

2. There were no trailers involved so that lets most of yall out. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

BTW - Paul will be trailering next time.

GPS data:
622 in two days. 271 the first day.
My moving average was 57.4
My max speed was...... smile.gif

rtbain
June 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
I have some JB Weld for that turn signal :D

Heck, it'll even take care of that scuff on the jug (the one on the bike, not the one you were sipping on :eek: ) I'm leaving the scuff on the jug to remind me that things like this happen all the time. If we both hadn’t been in full gear there would have been minor human body damage.

AaronEustace
June 8th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Wow, TSBA is becoming more and more like The Houston Sportbike network by not posting up rides then coming on the board to say what a great time they had on their ride that no one else knew about.
Who wants to do 622 miles in third gear anyway? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Paul Sonderfan
June 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
1. It started out that Susan and I were just getting out of town for the weekend and grew from there. We wanted a small group, relatively slow paced.

2. There were no trailers involved so that lets most of yall out. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

BTW - Paul will be trailering next time.

GPS data:
622 in two days. 271 the first day.
My moving average was 57.4
My max speed was...... smile.gif Yeah Randy, what were you thinking -not telling anyone? tongue.gif It WAS an awesome trip. All of that mileage on some of the best, twisty, up and down roads in Texas and NO LEOs. I guess we have to thank the San Antonio crew for clearing them out on Sunday morning (see their SMR report). We did have near misses with cattle, buzzards, and one tight turn, but no real drama. Oh yeah, there was "The Amazing Randy" doing his BMW balancing act (he does seem to do much better when he's actually moving). And yes, I would prefer to trailer next time; I thought my *** was going to fall off at the end of the day on Sunday. The ZX10 is an absolutely awesome ride, but the ergos are not really suited for over 300 miles per day. I'm ready to go again; who's in?

The Big Spank Daddy
June 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Lets see how that *** does in mid August. I'll be trailering to Kerville on Friday night for the HTH. Provided Randy authorizes the use of his rig?

Paul Sonderfan
June 9th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
Lets see how that *** does in mid August. I'll be trailering to Kerville on Friday night for the HTH. Provided Randy authorizes the use of his rig? Is that an invitation?

The Big Spank Daddy
June 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I have to see if Jeff is going or not. Randy's trailer only holds two.

rtbain
June 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Hum, my trailer could be had for the best bribe. smile.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
June 9th, 2004, 09:00 PM
A double bacon cheese burger, fries and a side of DP with a cup of ice at "The Hill"?