After
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/YSR50/IMG_0997.JPG

VFRacer-R
June 17th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Very cool!

AaronEustace
June 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Brian,
Very cool indeed. Give us some details. What size engine does it possess? I've heard of guys wedging in yz80's or kx60's. Are there seperate classes for mods like that?

tankmonkey
June 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM
looks great, brian...

I'm particularly fond of the drilled stock footpeg brackets and the homemade chain guard. :D

I see the team calamari fork brace and pipe. have the forks been completely updated with a billet top clamp and a 2nd fork spring/spacer kit?

does the bike have an aftermarket shock? I guess the fox unit isn't available anymore, but I think works performance still makes them.

any engine mods other than the pipe? (reeds, bigger piston/cylinder, bigger carb) since it appears the bike has already been raced, I'm assuming the motor has been converted to pre-mix. it also looks like the kick starter shaft and gear have been removed and the case hole has been plugged.

I can't tell what kind of tires are on the bike, but they don't look like the dunlop tt90's and tt91's we used to run. are they pirellis? (does pirelli even make a 12" tire in ysr sizes?)

for what it's worth, my team wound up ditching the windscreen and fairing lowers (tmgp didn't require catch pans) on our production bikes, since they tend to suffer a lot of damage when you go off course.

in addition, we only used zip-ties to secure the fairing upper and the tail section to the bike (we still used the stock bolt on the fuel tank/seat pan, though). zip-ties tend to break before the fairing plastic/fiberglass does, resulting in less damage overall.

****. now I might actually have to break out one of the team ysrs and get back into racing...

Brian Montgomery
June 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Well the reeds are carbon fiber ones...the motor needs a top end and I will be pulling it apart this weekend if time permits. The compression is way down and caused me not to get to race at the last race. The forks have the 2nd spring in them. The shock is stock :( I am looking at putting on an NSR50 shock. I would need to make a mounting on the frame. No biggy though. The NSR shock is pretty good from what I have seen. It has all the necessary adjustments...only thing that is an issue is the length. But a new bracket welded on to the frame would do the trick. The Mods that I put on would be the upper fork brace, lower fork brace, 1/4 turn throttle, clutch lever and perch, SS Brake lines, glassed in the tailsection, and painted all the stuff of course.

tankmonkey
June 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM
the nsr shock is definitely better than the stock ysr piece, and I can't imagine adding a new mount to the frame would be that difficult for someone with your metal working skills.

I didn't notice the 1/4 turn throttle, and I couldn't see the clutch in the after photo, but those are both worthwhile upgrades - particularly if they clamp to the clip-ons better than the stock ysr parts. after the stock clip-ons get banged up a bit, the ysr parts don't want to stay in place all that well.

we wound up having to wrap a piece of aluminum from a coke can around the right side clip-on under throttle housing (during an endurance race) because the housing kept twisting, allowing the throttle to close at inopportune moments. ;)

btw, did you check the wheels for cracking around the lug bolts before repainting them?

ysr rear wheels, especially, are prone to that and I've seen a couple of guys go down because the rim actually separated from the hub during a race.

[ June 18, 2004, 13:29: Message edited by: Scott Martin ]

Brian Montgomery
June 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM
The wheels seemed to look good cause I stripped them down before painting them. I had heard about the issues with the wheels. I was thinking about getting the Aluminum ones...lighter is better in rotational mass. But first things first...gotta get the top end redone. I am thinking about the other ignition system on TCR, 60cc kit and 24mm carb. We'll see what happens.

tankmonkey
June 18th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
I was thinking about getting the Aluminum ones...lighter is better in rotational mass. true - just make sure the classes you want to run in allows them (both sprint and endurance).

back when I still raced with tmgp, production and supersport were limited in the use of lighter/wider/nonstock wheels - basically you could use a team calamari front aluminum rim with something like 2 pounds of wheel weights stuck to it as a replacement for the stock front and rear ysr rims.

but it sounds like you're planning a superbike, so I imagine this won't be a problem.