PDA

View Full Version : Pre HTH IBI WrenchFest - 31 July

rtbain
June 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Boss Lady has approved a WrenchFest at our house on 31 July 2004. This is two weeks prior to the HTH IBI. If you need anything done post up so we can assure we have the right parts/assistance.

If someone lese prefers to host the event it will not hurt my feelings. I realize we are out in the sticks and inconvenient for most people.

A few things to remember.
Oil/filter change
Hydraulic fluid change
Fresh rubber (hot pavement and high speeds eat rubber FAST)
General looking over for loose, broken or missing thingies.

Directions can be found below:

http://users2.ev1.net/~rtbain/maps/directions.html

[ July 30, 2004, 16:53: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]

StuartR
July 6th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Hey Randy - I'll be there on July 31st to get the FZ1 ready for the HTH! I would like to accomplish the followoings items:

1. Oil Change
2. Brake Fluid Change
3. Carb Synch
4. AIS Removal - I'll bring the kit/instructions
5. Tire Change

Do you have carb sych tools?

Let me know, Thanks!

rtbain
July 6th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I have synch tools. What is AIS?

StuartR
July 7th, 2004, 10:28 AM
The Air Induction System on the FZ1 is an emissions control mechanism designed to introduce additional air in with the exhaust gases on closed throttle to complete the burning of those gases. This is a complex system that introduces additional weight, complexity, and is an obstacle to accessing other engine areas such as the spark plugs for maintenance.

I have a kit from Ivan's Performance Products. It includes 3 rubber caps, a special very high quality hardened 5/16"-24 tap, and four stainless allen screws for the tapped holes.

The installation involves:
Drain Coolant
Remove Radiator
Remove Air Induction Hardware
Tap Fittings at Exhaust Ports
Cap Openings with Provided Fittings from Kit

I have a pretty detailed website to access (pictures and everything :cool: )if we need to. Are you game?

Brian Montgomery
July 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
It is like the crap they put on the cars and California model bikes. Basicly an EGR system (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). It is used to heat the intake air up in colder enviroments and allow the bike to run more efficiantly on the EPA scale of things...Suzuki's have a simular thing called the PAIR valve.

AaronEustace
July 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Suzuki's have a simular thing called the PAIR valve. My Honda has a PAIR valve and many of the guys disable it to keep the thing from popping and backfiring during hard decelleration. Personally, I think it sounds *****in and scares little old ladies so I'm keeping it tongue.gif .

rtbain
July 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I have a pretty detailed website to access (pictures and everything )if we need to. Are you game?

Sure, how hard could it be? What could possibly go wrong? smile.gif

Jake_GSXR_750
July 8th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I would love to make it out there but checking the schedual I will have to work that weekend.

rtbain
July 25th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Well the garage got cleaned out this weekend so its pretty much ready.

The garage opens at 1000. If we get hungry we go to the Hill.

Feel free to park in the field if bringing a cage or trailer.

Please remember the house rules:
</font> SLOW in the neighborhood.</font> QUITE in the neighborhood.</font> Bring rags.</font> Bring brake cleaner (if you need to clean nasty parts of the bike).</font> Bring Brake fluid if you need it. Unopened, small bottle. Dot 4.</font> Take your old tires away or donate $4 for disposal fee. (That's $2 per tire plus $2 per tire to haul it down to the tire disposal unit.)</font> Bring something to drink</font> I can handle fluid and filter disposal.</font>

[ July 25, 2004, 19:12: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]

The Big Spank Daddy
July 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Quite a few mentioned that they will be in attendance during breakfast today. I myself have a tone of work to do to the GPZ. Main thing on the list is a set of chain and sprockets as well as a rear master cylinder rebuild.

Oskar_Z28
July 30th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Randy, what kind of brake bleed kit do you have?

StuartR
July 30th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Randy - Are you set up with a wireless router at the house?

rtbain
July 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Brake bleed - I have a mighty vac but prefer the old pump and hold method. If installing new lines my preference is to reverse bleed (force fluid in from the caliper to the master cylinder).

No wireless router at the house, sorry.

tankmonkey
July 30th, 2004, 02:09 PM
I plan to be there. I will have new ss brake lines, chain and sprockets to install on the bandit.

I also need to synchronize the bandit's carbs (I don't think these are going to be spot-on like the rf's carbs were, though) and try to get a decent idle mixture set.

randy, I'm assuming you have some sort of tool available to cut off the stock endless-style chain. if not, I can bring along my dremel and emory discs to use. smile.gif I'm also bringing my chain press and rivet tool to set the master link on the new chain.

rtbain
July 30th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I have a special chain disassembly tool. Itís called a 4Ē angle grinder. I broke down and purchased a good chain staking tool as well after my less than pleasing result with the cheap one.

Don't buy the chain staking tool kit from Motion Pro sold at J.C. Whitney. One turn to many and it breaks like peanut brittle. Worse, they donít sell spare parts.

Vee4Rider
July 30th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Stuart Robles:
Randy - Are you set up with a wireless router at the house? Randy is more likely to have a cordless router.... :cool:

tankmonkey
July 30th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
Don't buy the chain staking tool kit from Motion Pro sold at J.C. Whitney. One turn to many and it breaks like peanut brittle. Worse, they donít sell spare parts. hey, we broke one of those staking a ysr chain.

I have the official rk rivet tool (a $20 value) that I picked up when I bought the chain for my rf. it ain't fancy, but it's a heck of a lot easier to use than a c-clamp or vise grips when pressing on side plates, and it does a great job of mushrooming the rivets on the master link.

*and* it is verifiably made of real metal (unlike the motion pro one, which I suspect is a space-age alloy of pot-metal and plastic).

but if your staking tool is either electric, hydraulic, or propane powered, I'll give it a whirl on my new chain... ;)

Originally posted by Randy Bain:
I have a special chain disassembly tool. Itís called a 4Ē angle grinder.what? no plasma cutter? what kind of shoe-string operation is this, anyway? tongue.gif

[ July 30, 2004, 17:42: Message edited by: Scott Martin ]

The Big Spank Daddy
July 31st, 2004, 08:41 PM
What a great turn out! tongue.gif

The weather was great as far as the rain staying away. But all that sun made for one very hot day.

Looks like a lot of wrench turning was going on. From what I could see alot got done.

Once again we all owe Randy a big thanks for hosting another great event.

CalamariKid
July 31st, 2004, 09:19 PM
Randy, thanks again for hosting! Got my carbs synced, chain tightened, oil changed, and a great meal at Waller's best 'fast food' joint, The Hill!

Pics are posted in my TSBA album:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287903909

username and password: TSBA

The Big Spank Daddy
August 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM
I really liked the pic of Randy picking his butt. You're too funny Charles. :D

Check me out with my tounge action. You were so hot and manly with all that sweat and engine oil on your hands. I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit that it was turning me on just a little tongue.gif

[ August 01, 2004, 06:43: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

CalamariKid
August 1st, 2004, 12:31 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

rtbain
August 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM
It was a bit warm but we got a lot done. I enjoyed having everyone over. Next time when its cooler..... for the girlymen amoung us.