Chatterbox
June 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Chris + Blata + High Speed = Disaster !

Ed Seaver
June 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Is he OK? I hope so :confused:

Brian Montgomery
June 25th, 2004, 11:24 PM
No details and no pictures? What is the story good for?

Chatterbox
June 26th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Did I mention he was wearing NO gear?! :rolleyes:

Pictures to be taken today to use as the Poster Boy for "I was only going 20 mph" - "I was right in front of the house" - "It was only a pocket bike"!

Grandson wanted Grandpa to take him on a ride around the neighborhood. Kept switching out from GPZ to Bandit. After 5 or 6 times of this, Grandpa got tired, so he decided to warm up the Blata and see how well Tony could do. (NOTE: Tony is 2 but the bike fits him. Grandpa can hardly wait to start teaching him how to ride.)

Chris hopped on, rode it all the way around the block, got 1-2 houses away, and the disaster struck! **** the luck - I had just gone back in the house! I missed the whole thing.

Seems he pulled Jeff's "highspeed wobble" and ate it big time. :eek:

Injuries:

1 1/2" - 2" gooey road rash just above each elbow
huge bruise (about 6") along with the road rash on left elbow
huge bruise/road rash on TOP of left shoulder
1/4" chunk out of his left thumb
2"-3" gooey, gooey, gooey road rash on his left knee
either a cracked/broken rib on his left side - or pulled muscle (You can see a lump about 1" wide by 2"-3" long over his rib.) :(

To add insult to injury - health insurance doesn't go into effect until next Thursday!! :rolleyes: :(

Let this be a lesson to you all:

No matter how small the bike is; no matter the speed of the top end (35 mph in this case); no matter how short the ride - ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR!!

Looks like the old man would know better! :D

[ June 26, 2004, 08:39: Message edited by: Chatterbox ]

The Big Spank Daddy
June 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Been a couple weeks since the FJ or Bandit have seen a wheel turn. It was not raining and the streets were dry. So decided to get them out and warm up the engines.

Tony wanted to ride so we put on his little helmet a headed out on the Bandit. Gpt back and he wanted to ride some more. Next the FJ and then the GPZ. We were doing all so well until I got the bright idea to warm up the Blata.

Several weeks before I thought the tires looked low so I aired them up. The front had 41 psi and the rear about 30. No markings on the tires and no pressures in the manual. Hmmmmmmm, what’s a boy to do. Heck, the front has 41 and my fat *** on the back, heck 41 must be good for the rear too.

I tell Tony to stand by while I warm it up. Off I go around the block in a shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. As I round the first turn it seems a bit squirrelly. “Ahhhh, just haven’t rode it in a while…” Down around the block and onto the next street. Round turn 3 and I go wide. Bringing it back to center is a challenge and a bit wobbly. Round turn 4 into the home stretch. Fells really loose and wants to wheelie. Just two more houses to go. I cut back on the throttle and it goes into a major tank slapper.

Down I go at about 20mph on the concrete. All I could think of was not to hit my head or stick my hands straight out. I tumble several times with the Blata trapped between my legs. About the second roll I see it separate from me into the air and land by the curb. I come to a stop on my hands and knees. Look at my hands and have a nice junk missing from my left thumb. Stand up and look myself over. Feel some abrasions on the elbows, look down and see only scuffs on my jeans, but my knees really hurt, visions of Tom Anderson come to mind.

I pick up the Blata and head to the house. To asses the damage. Blata is okay. Both forearms at the elbows have abrasions, not too bad. It feels like a rib on the left side may be broken or cracked, left shoulder has a nice rash. Left knee is pretty bloody and really sore. Clean up and take it easy on the lounge chair. Put ice on the knee and take about 6 Advil.

Get up this morning and the knee is okay but the lower left rib is really sore. Take a shower, get dressed and head to Excel training class today.

CalamariKid
June 26th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Dude, that sucks big time. You trying to out do me in the number of crashes in one year? If so, you still got a way to go. smile.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
June 26th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Doing a lot better than I expected today. The road rash is not too bad. My rib is what really bothers me and I'm just stiff on the back between the shoulder blades. By the time the rain quits I'll be ready to ride again.

Oskar_Z28
June 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Chris, glad it wasn't worst. You will heal up.

I guess, that's another lesson learned.

Tim Thompson
June 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Wow Chris, sorry to hear this. Reminds me that the crash that hurt me the most was on my Honda CT-70 when I was 14 or 15. Went down at about 20 MPH on the street and took off about 10% of the skin from my arms and legs. I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. :rolleyes:

Hope you're back riding soon. smile.gif

VFRacer-R
June 27th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris Donnelly:
Feel some abrasions on the elbows, look down and see only scuffs on my jeans, but my knees really hurt, visions of Tom Anderson come to mind.
OK, who did you run in to the back of?
And did Jeff give you a good ride home in the crash truck?? :D

Oh, and by the way, we need to find a good parking lot to race the pocket bikes at!

There is a guy with the CMRA that is selling pocket bikes simular to mine for $299 now!

[ June 27, 2004, 20:55: Message edited by: VFRacer ]