PDA

View Full Version : Hey Aaron:

VFRacer-R
June 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM
So did you go to the track day? Did you stay dry?
How did it go if you went and rode?

Brian Montgomery
June 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Well, I just saw the severe warning and lots of red over the area of the track so I imagine that it was not too dry...sorry to see those people not get their moneys worth.

VFRacer-R
June 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM
He went on Saturday, but I never saw how the weather was up there then... I know today sucked badly as far as weather.

Paul Sonderfan
June 28th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Aaron and I went on Saturday. The first 2 sessions had a little water left on the track and we skipped the first session after lunch due to a small shower, but overall it was great. I think Aaron got into the :15's and I got into the :18's by the end of the day. Yeah, I know that sucks, but it was the first time and there are obviously lots of places where there is speed left on the table. And YES, we DID have lots of fun!

AaronEustace
June 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Hey Tommy,
Oh man, what an awesome day we had on Saturday! This may get a little long but I'll try not to digress too much. Here goes:

I basically decided on Wednesday to do the Sat. RideSmart T-Day after hanging with you guys at the CMRA races last weekend. I talked Paul into going too instead of the AR trip. After a few threatening e-mails from him :rolleyes: I was a little worried that the weather would ruin it for us. Not the case at all!

I spent Thursday/Friday prepping the bike and assembling things from the checklist posted on the DFW site (thanks guys). I get to Paul's house at 5am we load his trailer and head to the track. The skies looked super threatening all the way there and a few sprinkles hit us. We find a pit, unload and head to tech. ****, I failed tech for a sticking throttle due to the CanyonDancer pulling my grip in too tight. No prob, fixed in 1 minute. Right then it started to rain :mad: . This delayed the start by about 1 hour.

The way RS trackdays work (which is really cool) is Levels 1-2 (Beg / Int) attend a classroom after each session. Session 1 was slow speed sighting laps. Session 2 a dry line started to appear everywhere except turns 5-6 plus we were allowed to pass on straightaways :D . By the 3-4 session it was completely dry and my confidence was soaring. So much so in fact that I got Black Flagged :eek: . I passed two guys in corners but to my defense, I was holding my line and they both went wide, hit their brakes and stood it up. I wasn't about to roll off or brake while leaned over just to keep from 'passing'. I plead my case and they were cool about it.

The 5th session is where it got really interesting. My toes were dragging everywhere, lap times were in the high teens (I know its slow but 25 seconds faster than session 2) I figured out turns 13-15 and things were really clicking. I came up on a guy going into 13 and hang back about 3 bikes, it looks like he's got 14 made so I roll it on when he panics, stands it straight up and crosses directly across my escape route :eek: :mad: . My only option is to go through the grass/mud, where I do a few tankslappers but keep it upright and onto pit lane. They wave me down and after a brief discussion they bump me to level 2 for the remainder of the day :D .

My only session with level 2 was the most fun of the day. I felt comfortable with the pace, passed quite a few guys (on the straights :D ) and DRUG KNEE in the carousel!

I am so hooked, I could ramble on for hours (just ask my poor wife). The folks at RS were fantastic, patient, knowledgeable and a big thanks to Ty Howard for the body positioning lesson. Folks, there is no substitute for track time and RS gives you plenty of this plus class instruction all for $135. Also, many thanks to Stuart for corner working. You've got a free TD in the bank now.

P.S. Tommy, send me your e-mail address. There's a pic I took of your bikes that came out very nice. Drop me a note to ate1@yahoo.com
Thanks

[ June 28, 2004, 12:17: Message edited by: wd40oz ]

AaronEustace
June 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM
...and DUH! a huge thanks to Paul for hauling all our sh!t up there and listening to my adrenaline-soaked BS all the way back to Houston tongue.gif . I hope you had as much fun as I did. BTW, I forgot the racing video at home redface.gif , sorry I'll bring it tomorrow.

VFRacer-R
June 30th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Man, that's great!
I knew you guys would have fun.
Any by the way, anywhere in the "teens" at TWS for your first time out is a good pace.

You know, I was running pretty consistent 2.09's and 2.10's at the last race there. The faster pace guys would run 1.57's to 2.01's (on SV's), but I just haven't found those extra seconds yet.

You know, John and I will be looking for race partners next season... :D

AaronEustace
June 30th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Tom, You've got mail :D

Brian Montgomery
July 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Aaron on the Yellow machine.
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/Ride%20Smart%20TD%20at%20TWS%206-26-04.jpg