PDA

View Full Version : 7-3-04 MM Agenda

The Big Spank Daddy
June 28th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Monthly Meeting Agenda 7-3-04

1) Approve a TSBA Store operator’s salary. The cost will be covered statewide and will be equal to $48. The Salary is to offset gas, office supplies and other misc expenses. The cost to the Houston Chapter will be $8.
2) Announce the winner of the track day raffle
3) Discuss ideas for routes and Dinner plans for the 8-14-04 HTH IBI.
4) Take pre-orders for HTH t-shirts. Discuss the possibility of purchasing several extra shirts to sell at a later date for those who missed out.
5) Randy is hosting a Wrench N Learn before the HTH
6) Deals gap plans in Sept with Brian

[ June 28, 2004, 20:21: Message edited by: Chris Donnelly ]

Brian Montgomery
June 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Deals Gap reminder:
September 2, 2004 (Thursday) is our departure date. We will leave early and return on Sunday evening September 5th, 2004. Some say that this isn't enough time. But for those that have been, they know that it is more than enough time. We only did 530miles the whole time last time and we were wore out after each day. There are also plans to spend half of one of the days white water rafting. For those that plan on going, please make your reservations now. This area fills up the rooms quick. Check www.dealsgap.com (http://www.dealsgap.com) and www.tailofthedragon.com (http://www.tailofthedragon.com) for accomodations. I have a room set up at the Deals Gap Motorcycle resort. (www.dealsgap.com) It is right on the gap and a rest spot, turn around spot and is perfect if you plan on ridding the gap several times.

Sean Smith
June 28th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I agree with Brian. Leave Thursday come back Sunday will be plently of time to ride the roads. I booked my room at the resort the weekend we went up for Memorial Day. Got a room next to Brian's so we can share that bottle of Hennesy.

Brian, if there is a group going rafting will they leave a day earlier or just go on Friday and Saturday?

I want to go rafting, but I want two good days of riding. Yes, it's my cake and I want to eat it.

rtbain
June 29th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Regarding the store salary. It is meant to give a salary equal to the store worker’s dues. Since Susan and I are both members that would be $48/year or $8/chapter annually to begin with 2005 dues.

The store already pays for its own offices supplies. That is the only reimbursement taken.

The plan is to discuss this at the monthly meetings and put it before a statewide poll.

We have no plans on leaving the store should the salary not be approved. It’s just a nicety.

Please take the next statement at face value. Do not read anything into it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the salary question. As long as the store is up for discussion this is a logical question.

If someone else prefers to run the store the job is always open. Susan and I make no claim to being experts. Our only requirement is the person(s) wanting the position take over all aspects of the operation. This includes: web site administration, ordering, mailing, sales tax returns, and income tax returns.

If a change is made we will gladly work with the new people to assure a smooth transition.

Brian Montgomery
June 29th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Not to be too technical but will this harm the non-profit status. Cause it states that we cannot give out free memberships. I am just asking. Not trying to start any waves. How would this be different technically?

tankmonkey
June 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
Not to be too technical but will this harm the non-profit status. Cause it states that we cannot give out free memberships. I am just asking. Not trying to start any waves. How would this be different technically? if they are operating the tsba store and using the salary to pay their dues, how is their membership "free?"

rtbain
June 29th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Scott Martin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
Not to be too technical but will this harm the non-profit status. Cause it states that we cannot give out free memberships. I am just asking. Not trying to start any waves. How would this be different technically? if they are operating the tsba store and using the salary to pay their dues, how is their membership "free?" </font>[/QUOTE]You are correct. Members can be paid for work performed for the organization. Memberships can not be comped or given away.

Another example would have been when someone in another chapter went well out of their way to bring a crashed bike home. Rather than comp their dues they could pay the person for their services. It just so happens they were paid an amount exactly the same as their dues. Money has to actually change hands to keep it legit. The person has to do something of value as well.

I would like to remind everyone that this is a nicety, not a necessity. Susan and I have a commitment to run the store and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future regardless of the outcome of the statewide vote. This is not a “we get the salary or we walk” proposition.

[ June 29, 2004, 19:08: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]

The Big Spank Daddy
July 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Meeting Minutes

Present were

Gixxer Jim Padgett
Chris Donnelly
Brian Montgomery
Warren White
Stuart Robles
Jim Trimm
Charles Nevele

1) Approve a TSBA Store operator’s salary. The cost will be covered statewide and will be equal to $48. The Salary is to offset gas, office supplies and other misc expenses. The cost to the Houston Chapter will be $8

The matter was unanimously voted down by the Houston Chapter. The argument was, that it is not the money, It’s that the store should be self supporting. The Chapter already pitched in $100 to get it going. What is the point of selling t-shirts if in effect we are taking a loss and having to make up the difference out of our membership dues?

No one questioned the hard work and effort by Randy and Susan. Nor did they have a problem with them being compensated for their expenses. They just feel that it should come from the store proceeds and not our membership dues.

The vote was

Electronic 1 nay and 0 yea

Meeting Votes 7 nay and 0 yea

Proxy vote of 1 nay and 0 yea

2) Announce the winner of the track day raffle

Gixxer Jim did the honors and Randy was the big winner.

3) Discuss ideas for routes and Dinner plans for the 8-14-04 HTH IBI.

Mexican food seemed a popular choice. Everyone present liked the idea of going Dutch and a nearby eatery.

4) Take pre-orders for HTH t-shirts. Discuss the possibility of purchasing several extra shirts to sell at a later date for those who missed out.

4 shirts sold, 1 Stuart – Lg, 1 Gixxer Jim – Lg, 1 Charles Nevele – XL and 1 Chris – XL. $40 collected assuming the shirts will be $20 each.

Some how we got off track and did not approve the Chapter purchase of a few extras.

5) Randy is hosting a Wrench N Learn before the HTH

I was not sure on the date, we were assuming July 31st. That would be 2 weeks before the ride. I’ll have to okay that with Randy.

6) Deals gap plans in Sept with Brian

See this thread.