PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Problem?

CalamariKid
September 25th, 2004, 11:29 AM
I have noticed of late that it takes more pressure on the handlebar to make a left turn than a right. Went to do a steering inspection this morning and was shocked to see the wear on the front tire was almost all on the right side (when viewing from the front) of the tire. My guess is an alignment issue.

Any other thoughts? Advise on how to do a proper alignment?

Thanks

WFO
September 25th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I had a BT020 with 7800 miles on the front. It was heavily worn on the left side so that the profile was far from round even though it had some tread left. The handling degraded slowly as the tire wore so that I didn't notice. The bike's handling improved tremendously upon replacement. I've heard speculation that this wear pattern is because left hand turns are a wider radius than right handers. I think the wear pattern is reversed in the southern hemishere. (Coreolis effect)lol

CalamariKid
September 25th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Hmmm... I am running 020's as well. I have a Dunlop D220 front in good shape that I am going to swap it out with and see if the problem goes away.

James Thomas
September 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Not that I know from personal experience, but hearing folks talking at a trackday, this sounds like a suspension issue. I'd check the forks out thoroughly! ;)

Paul Sonderfan
September 25th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I have heard people say that the wear on the "port" side of the tire is because of the crown in the road; you're always riding on more of the left side of the tire. Sounds possible. On allignment, I saw a really innovative alignment method on the zx-10 website using 2-6 foot florescent light tubes. He bungeed them together on either side of the back wheel and measured from them to the front wheel....or you could just change the front tire.

Brian Montgomery
September 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM
That is a common problem...the left (when sitting on the bike) will wear faster. The crown in the road is the usual suspect. It will make the bike feel different when the tires are worn uneven. Nothing new. New tires always feel sooo good.

CalamariKid
September 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks, I replaced the front tire and will see how it feels. It probably did not help that my tire pressure was very low. I know, very squidly.