PDA

View Full Version : Forks and FM529

Brian Montgomery
July 1st, 2004, 07:21 AM
Short Story...
The fork seals are hosed.

Long Story...
Well the Sunday before last on the SMR, Scotty, Stuart and myself came a different route back home from Fayetteville. Once we got off of FM949 and on to Hwy36, Scotty decides that we needed to turn down FM331 and drive up to FM529. Upon hitting FM529, we notice the road is now just a dirt road. Or so we thought. So anyways, we cruise down the dirt road showing our enduro skillz, only to find out that the dirt was something different and strange. The stuff was wet! Funny thing cause the road didn't look wet to me. Well anyways, the stuff we will call dirt completely covered every part on the bike. So much so that you could no longer read my plate on the back. The stuff was like concrete when dried. I figured that it was lime. But it wasn't the standard color of lime (white). It was a tanish brown. I figured no big deal and went on my way home only to notice that my suspension started to feel funny. I pull over to get gas only to see that my fork seals on both sides are dripping out the vital fork oil! I was like WTF! These seals were just replaced 3000 miles ago! I was pissed. So here is a picture of the internals of the fork. You can see the sandy dirty grit that hosed the seals up. I hope Scotty and Stuart's seals are still good. If they are not leaking, I would recommend removing the dust seals and cleaning the areas between the dust seal and the main seal. It will only take a few minutes and perhaps extend the life of your seals in this special case. Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that yes, you do need special tools to rebuild inverted forks. Now Chris knows and hopefully will never doubt me again! Lol. Hopefully i will get my tools sometime next week and I will be able to get the forks back in tip top shape.
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/forks.jpg

[ July 01, 2004, 08:23: Message edited by: Brian Montgomery ]

The Big Spank Daddy
July 1st, 2004, 04:33 PM
As for the tooling, you were right. However, if you weren’t so **** picky we’d had it back together already.

When Brian told me about the enduro experience I was thinking about some wild tale from the old west, but after seeing the crap in the forks for myself I will never doubt the guy with flames again.
:D

AaronEustace
July 1st, 2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
Hopefully i will get my tools sometime next week and I will be able to get the forks back in tip top shape.
If you haven't bought them yet try John Klaus at Klaus Speedworks/281-931-0082/328 Dale St. If you've never been there it is quite an experience ;) . The guy is a motorhead from waaaay back and his 'shop' is a quanset hut in back of a house off Airline kinda near Lundsford's Honda. Definitely knows his stuff. I went there with a buddy to pick up a special fork tool for his gsxr-750. Only place in town that stocked them.

Brian Montgomery
July 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM
Too late, I ordered what I needed last night all for 49 bucks.

tmtaz21
July 2nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Not that it matters now, but the stuff you rode through sounds like flyash. It is like cement. They put it down over the asphalt then use a mixer to mix the flyash and asphalt together and then pave over it. Hope you were able to get it all off your bike.

[ July 02, 2004, 15:24: Message edited by: T. Tyrrell ]

StuartR
July 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Took me a solid hour after the ride to get that stuff off. I have a couple of pics I'd post if I could figure out how to do it :confused: .

Brian, thanks for the heads up. I checked the seals and everything looks ok.

Brian Montgomery
July 2nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
You can send the pictures to me if you want and I can post them up... bdmpastx@earthlink.net

StuartR
July 2nd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Brian

You have mail!

Brian Montgomery
July 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/P6200020.JPG
http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eroy324/Brian/P6200021.JPG