PDA

View Full Version : Well, here is what I did Monday...

VFRacer-R
July 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM
One day, I hope to have the madskilz to start and maintain my own thread like Chris can- here is my first attempt! http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/images/smilies/whip.gif
I arrived at TWS on Monday morning at around 06:50, no-one in line but me! Cool. Called Scott to see where he pitted, and I got a disgruntled response that requires a long story that started a not-so-good morning for him. He can start and maintain his own thread for his day.
Pitted and started unloading the bike (and fans! It was already humid/hot!). Fueled up, tires mounted, tech and out for my first stint. Bike is flawless, and the track warmed up fast!
A word about a well prepared SV race bike- it is so much better than I am capable of!
There was a lot of traffic, I think we had 45 people in our group (that included the instructors). Once I got away from one group, it didn't take long to catch another group. Lots of practice riding in lapped traffic today! It was good. The bike is so sticky and powerful... man it works well!
Second stint starts, and it appears heat or some other reasons have thinned out the herd. I didn't see any crashes, so I don't think that was the problem. Got out early on this stint and ran with only 1 bike in front of me (he was FAST) for about 4 laps before we caught up with the rest of the herd. More lapped traffic practice! But it was goooood.
On my third stint, I ran the fastest, smoothest I have ever ridden at that track. It felt so good, I caught myself smiling and almost laughing at how well the bike performed! It was great! The grid controller said he caught me with a couple of :02.03's and .02's on a few laps! I have never lapped that track that fast before- I usually run .09's and .10's consistently.
I think that the 8 hour really helped out on that. I finally figured out how to run turns 1/2 faster buy following Ronnie Lundsford run through it. I figured if he could run that fast through there on a much heavier (allbeit well prepared) liter bike, I could wick it up a lot on the SV. It worked at the race, so I applied a lot of that to today's outing. I felt pretty good with turns 3-6, but 7-9 always gave me problems as far as a good line to get a drive out of 9; but I think I got that figured out too. Riding through traffic helped that situation a bunch. I never even came close to the curbing/ bricking on the outside coming off 9 like I usually do when I run a bad line... so I must be doing something right.
The afternoon session was plagued with red flags and I was almost glad I wasn't riding (I was corner working), but sure did wish I was out there when the LSTD guys and Pete Martins were schooling some of the big guys in the A group! That looked like a blast! Even though I could never keep up with that group, I would like to have tried!

For all of you that read this to the end... GET TO A TRACK DAY! YOU WILL LOVE IT!
http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/images/smilies/mytruck.gif

AaronEustace
July 6th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by VFRacer:
For all of you that read this to the end... GET TO A TRACK DAY! YOU WILL LOVE IT!
http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/images/smilies/mytruck.gifYep, what he said. Great description, I can actually visualize the track as you mention the different turns. I can't wait to get to my next track day. Unfortunately, I was on-call yesterday and have a prior engagement on 7/26 :mad: ! But, it gives me some time to sort out the THUNDERhawk's suspension. Anyone up for a RaceTech cartridge fork rebuild? (prior experience a BIG PLUS). I don't think I will swap the rear shock for a Fox TCR...it's about $800 that I'll never get back on resale and the stock one is 'adequate' :rolleyes: .

BTW Tom, your smiley getting whipped is quite disturbing. Hopefully, he's just a fetishist and actually enjoys the abuse...kinda like Scott's avatar of him in full-on Clown/Gimp mode tongue.gif .

tankmonkey
July 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Called Scott to see where he pitted, and I got a disgruntled response that requires a long story that started a not-so-good morning for him. He can start and maintain his own thread for his day.nah, I'll just hijack yours... ;)

in retrospect, my day wasn't that bad:

</font> I managed not to crash the ktm supermotard despite it popping a bolt head and dumping oil all over the rear tire (and my formerly new boots). I'm just glad that instructor saw me and flagged me down before I did any real damage to the motor...</font> I saw the nail in the rf's rear tire before trying to ride it at the track day.</font> I figured out the whole gp-shift thing before wadding up your race sv (although I did manage to chirp the rear tire while making a couple of clumsy downshifts).</font> my cheapie harbor freight 4x8 folding trailer worked flawlessly, ferrying the rf to and from college station for the weekend without incident.</font>
I can't wait for august, though, as the bandit should be ready for its track debut then.

VFRacer-R
July 6th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Scott Martin:
</font> I managed not to crash the ktm supermotard despite it popping a bolt head and dumping oil all over the rear tire (and my formerly new boots). I'm just glad that instructor saw me and flagged me down before I did any real damage to the motor...
The corner workers were talking about you since your first lap, everyone was trying to decide if you were actually smoking- or if the KTM was just so awfully powerful that you were cooking the tires... :D

</font> I saw the nail in the rf's rear tire before trying to ride it at the track day. Maybe you should have asked Whiting's wife to bring the Biagi to the track for you at that time!

</font> I figured out the whole gp-shift thing before wadding up your race sv (although I did manage to chirp the rear tire while making a couple of clumsy downshifts).</font> I'll bring the training manual for you in August.

I can't wait for august, though, as the bandit should be ready for its track debut then.
I can't wait to see the Bandito in action!

Oh yeah, Aaron, that smiley definatly enjoys it! :D

tankmonkey
July 6th, 2004, 05:17 PM
The corner workers were talking about you since your first lap, everyone was trying to decide if you were actually smoking- or if the KTM was just so awfully powerful that you were cooking the tires... :D "hold my beer and watch this!"

really, I'm just that fast. the spewing oil was merely a coincidence... ;)

Maybe you should have asked Whiting's wife to bring the Biagi to the track for you at that time! ironically, the rs250 biagi replica (with the big bore kit) was the only street bike of whiting's that we rode this weekend which didn't suffer some sort of mechanical failure.

you saw the ktm give it up.

plus, the bimota wouldn't start, the rvf400 blew its regulator/rectifier and the 900ss superlight is still suffering from a pretty significant wobble at highway speeds.

I'll bring the training manual for you in August. bring one for the dry-break fuel can, too. whiting and I wound up wearing about a pint of unleaded when the valve stuck open after the sv refueling operation. (I think whiting was smoking at the time, too... :eek: )

tmtaz21
July 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Scott Martin:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I'll bring the training manual for you in August. bring one for the dry-break fuel can, too. whiting and I wound up wearing about a pint of unleaded when the valve stuck open after the sv refueling operation. (I think whiting was smoking at the time, too... :eek: ) [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Tommy have a manual for the dry break :eek: he did the same thing himself at the start of the 8 hour in June :D We figured it out, it is a two man operation, one to hold the can and one to hold a towel around the filler cap on the tank.