PDA

View Full Version : In the Famous Words of Rosanna Anna Danna...

CalamariKid
October 10th, 2004, 11:02 AM
If it ain't one thing, itza nother.

In the form of a Haiku:

Soundly sleeping
Shredding tire awakens
Wish it was a dream.

In the form of a lymric:

The weekend was supposed to be sensational
As Charles and Stuart headed off to the Invitational
But alas, a tire on Stuart's truck went askew
so the bikes on the trailer thru the air flew
And thus the GPZ once again is un-rideable.

More to come later. Will post pics. Still somewhat it denial.

VFRacer-R
October 10th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Charles Nevle:
If it ain't one thing, itza nother.

In the form of a Haiku:

Soundly sleeping
Shredding tire awakens
Wish it was a dream.

In the form of a lymric:

The weekend was supposed to be sensational
As Charles and Stuart headed off to the Invitational
But alas, a tire on Stuart's truck went askew
so the bikes on the trailer thru the air flew
And thus the GPZ once again is un-rideable.

More to come later. Will post pics. Still somewhat it denial. I seem to remember Rosanne Rosanna Danna saying something like that... is that the same person you were thinking of? tongue.gif

Dude, it is time to get rid of that albatross! Sorry to hear of your incident!

CalamariKid
October 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Ok, here's the story. Stuart and I were headed to the IBI, crusing down I-10, when somewhere West of Schulenburg the tread on the right real wheel of the Jeep violently separates from the tire. I am asleep at the time and wake up as we are fish-tailing down I-10. I look over at Stuart, who non-chalantly, in a calm, cool collected, voice says, "Blew a tire." About this time the truck, with the trailer attached mind you, does a complete 180 while still on I-10, then we go rolling backwards into the median where we came to a stop.

We assessed the damage, got the do-nut put on Stuart's truck and he headed to town to get a new real tire while I pulled Security Detail on the bikes sitting in the median on I-10.

Damage Report:
Stuart's bike appeared to have emerged relatively unscathed save for a bent handlebar.
My bike: Broken Left Handlebar, Cracked Upper Fairing, Smashed Right Front Faring, Banged up Fuel Tank, Bent Kick Stand, plus various scratches on the right side of the bike.

Pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3138655093
Username: TSBA
Password: TSBA

Inlaw1
October 10th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Charles, sorry to hear about your bad luck on the way out. Heard about it Sat. and was bummed you weren't going to make the ride, but glad that no one was hurt and damage was basically minimal considering.

We did get to see Stuart in the evening though, he went and put his spare bars on the bike and decided that by God he was riding! So he rode out!

There will be plenty of weekends to come out and ride Charles, and I'm confident there will be another IBI.

CalamariKid
October 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I got lucky and found a shop that has pretty much everything I need. Getting a lower fairing, tank, handlebar, and kickstand for $550 shipped. The tank alone new is over $700. I have a bid in on a upper fairing on ebay, but could easily fix the one I have if I don't win it. Hopefully there is not any undiscovered damage. Garage smells like gasoline, so there may be some hidden damage, but hopefully nothing major.

So, once the parts come in, it's off to the painter again. Let's see, it's been red, black, and blue, any suggestions?

AaronEustace
October 11th, 2004, 11:44 AM
It's a Kawasaki, it wants to be GREEN!

Brian Montgomery
October 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I would suggest a real painter...make that baby look good.

CalamariKid
October 11th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Any suggestions on a painter? Does your Pearland body dude paint Brian?

Brian Montgomery
October 11th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I have a bad *** painter...if you want it to look good.

rtbain
October 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM
But what about the trailer? Did you scratch the paint? smile.gif

Brian Montgomery
October 11th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Bwahahahaha..that was a good one Randy...They did scratch the fresh coat of rust you had applied. I was making the comment just before they had the blow out about how you didn't paint the bare metal that you put on the trailer. I was wondering why you didn't give it a coat of paint.

rtbain
October 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Itís a LONG story. Basically I ran out of time. Now I will have to have the thing sand blasted then paint it.

Oh well, at least I have trashed my SV yet. Then again I have only ridden it around the block a few times.

Paul Sonderfan
October 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM
[

So, once the parts come in, it's off to the painter again. Let's see, it's been red, black, and blue, any suggestions? [/QB][/QUOTE]

You KNOW you're asking for trouble if you put a nice paint job on it! Go stealth and be safe. tongue.gif :rolleyes:

CalamariKid
October 11th, 2004, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking maybe just spray it with bed-liner. :rolleyes:

StuartR
October 13th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Yes what Charles said. :eek: Heading over on I-10, following Brian and moving along at a pretty good pace, the right rear tread decides to seperate from the tire while in the left lane. Trying to slow down and move off into the median, the back end starts to fish tail from the loss of traction in the rear. With no pavement runoff and the back end swinging, we get into the soft grass and dirt of the center of I-10 where the front end loses complete traction and we proceed to do a 180 sliding to a stop in the dead center of the highway at mile marker 647. I think I was able to scrub off about 50 mph before the spin and hit the grass about 25-35 mph. Anything faster and it might have been alot worse situation then we ended up with.

After uprighting the bikes and assessing the damage, we see that we must head back home :( . Unhook the trailer, throw on the do-nut, leave Charles with chair, umbrella and three new moto mags inthe middle of I-10 and head to Luling(15 miles) to find a tire on a Friday afternoon approaching 5 pm. It takes me about an hour to get back to Charles whos has restrapped down the bikes and is relaxing enjoying a good smoke and read in the middle of the highway :cool: ! We hook up the trailer and head back to Houston where we unload Charles bike (minor challange due to the clipon damage). I head home, unload my bike and find my spare bar. Cant find the 6mm allen wrench I just used to adjust the bars in the middle of 1-10 so no repairs can be made tonight :mad: . Have a beer and go to bed.

Saturday morning I head to hardware store to buy a COUPLE of 6mm allens. While swapping out the bars and still undecided about what I wanted to do about salvaging the weekend I get a call from a friend who has three excellent seats to the Astros playoff game that starts in about an hour. HHMMM..I call Charles (maybe a small consolation prize for his troubles) to see if he wants to go. He is already into his plan B and is coaching a soccer game. Couple more phone calls and no takers so I pass on the game and finish the bars off.

IT IS TOO NICE OUT NOT TO RIDE TODAY! I check the weather between here and Leakey..perfect. I'm going! Decided I had enough trailering for the weekend, throw the soft saddle bags on the FZ and head out about 1:30 pm. I'm going to have to slab it on I-10 to get to 337 before sundown.

Arrived at Frio Pecan in Leakey about 6:30 just in time to chow down on some excellent barbQ! My reserved cabin is right next door to the festivities so I am set for the evening. Great party and I won some Anti Monkey Butt Powder as a prize :D ! Sunday morning, did the 100 mile loop with about 7 folks in perfect weather! Brad Hearn did the ride as well and was kind enough to offer a spot back on his pickup for the return to Houston that afternoon.

All in all, quite an adventure but well worth the trip!

Did I mention Thursday night after picking up Randys trailer in Waller, the ramp blew off somewhere on the beltway on the way home. Spent Friday morning building a new one.

And Randy- the trailer held up perfectly with barely any rust knocked off! It pulled the bikes home without a hitch ;) .