PDA

View Full Version : MSF this weekend - Who are the students?

Chatterbox
July 16th, 2004, 09:22 AM
At least four females in some way connected to Houston TSBA members.

Ages from 15 - 45.

Hmmmm . . . WHO are the new bikers-to-be???? :eek: :D

Guess their menfolk will be shucking out the bucks soon for more bikes!! :D

Any guesses????????

The Big Spank Daddy
July 16th, 2004, 11:17 AM
You better start saving now, 'cuz I ain't sellin' nothin' of mine :eek:

Lainie needs to get on the stick and come up with some cash to get the Seca II going. Then maybe you and her can work out a deal....... :rolleyes:

Chatterbox
July 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM
You weren't supposed to give any hints! Now they know at least 2 of the students.

Besides, those bikes are OURS - NOT yours! We can sell the one I like the least and get one I REALLY like and won't drop!! tongue.gif

Scott
July 16th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I wish I would have known about this earlier. :( My wife has expressed interest in taking the msf. My son also want to take it but I don't know if he can yet - he is 15. Does anyone know what the minimum age is?

Brian Montgomery
July 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
You can get a class M at age 15...the only lic a 15yr old can get actually. Besides that of a hardship or learners pemit.

Chatterbox
July 16th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Scott,

1. This was a VERY last minute decision. Gary's wife, Dodi, had signed up a few weeks ago for this course. Monday, Gary gave a copy of the information to Chris to pass along to me. Chris asked me to call and see if it was full and get information.

Previously, the requirements were you had to go in person and pay in cash for this course. Thinking I could "dodge the bullet" one more time, I called. What a HUGE surprise to me that there were still openings available and you can register OVER THE PHONE !! Took me completely off guard. :eek:

No getting out of it this time, so I had to bust a** to send an emergency e-mail to Linda to get her butt signed up, too!! No way was the instigator of "the girls taking this class" going to get out of it!!!! :D

Sorry we missed contacting you, but we passed on the info to the others we knew were interested. Maybe your wife and son can get in a class with some of those other people who couldn't attend this time. Brad's wife is one of the women interested, as well as a wife of one of the Two Wheeled Texans that goes to POs on Tuesday night.

2. Yes, your son can take the MSF course at 15 IF HE HAS A PERMIT . A driving permit for an automobile is valid in place of a motorcycle permit.

A parent or legal guardian must sign a Medical Release waiver for anyone under 18.

A parent or guardian must also sign the two student waivers that each class participant must sign.

The minor MUST have the permit in his/her possession in order to attend the class - even if he/she has already paid the tuition.

No minor will be allowed to participate in the class without the permit in his/her possesion AND without all of the waivers signed by a parent or guardian.

If you want anymore information or the phone numbers, just PM or e-mail Chris or me.

Will post up highlights of the class later. Chris is planning on coming to the class tomorrow morning and taking some pics. Will post those, too (if they turn out ok).

Chatterbox
July 17th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Well, today's class was an adventure!! Sorry everyone, but I'm really excited about this - even if it is old news to you all.

None of the TSBA ladies dropped their bike, but one of the eight in the class did. :( Thank goodness she was behind me and I didn't see it. Think it would've undermined my confidence (what little of it I have).

Very, very basic class - in case you didn't know. Start out learning where everything is. Move on to mounting and dismounting properly. Sounds stupid to most of you guys, but nothing was too basic for us.

I had a "near" drop once. :eek: The person in front of me just couldn't seem to speed it up, even thought the instructor was yelling and waving furiously for all of us to speed up in the straight. Got to the corner (less than 8 mph) and forgot I had it in 2nd. Almost stalled - had to put my foot down. Slipped a little, but no drop!!

Gotta work on the offset weaves. Those are the killer for me. I turn in too sharp on the first cone, causing me to cuss under my helmet. That causes me to distract myself from looking ahead and setting up for the next cone. All to hell from there: too close to the first cone, wide on the second, third is SQUASHED!! :mad: That set-up is out the window - on to the next.

I think the instructor had directed me to follow the others back to the staging area. Guess I wasn't really paying attention to him, cuz I went right back and got set up for the course again.

"Wider at the beginning, stupid!"
"Look NOW for the next cone!"
"Much better, made the cone and didn't squish it."
"****, almost too close. CALM DOWN!! You're gonna get all the weaves around these cones this time or you're gonna die trying!!!!"
"WOO HOO!!!! Made the weave through all the cones; didn't stall or fall; didn't have to put my foot down; and didn't run over the instructor at the end of the line!!!!" :cool:

Took 4 passes at the course, but I FINALLY MADE IT!!!!!!!! smile.gif

I may not ever get my own bike and ride, but I sure am proud of myself for what I've accomplished so far!!!! :D

By the way, 98 on my written test! Missed a stupid question that I knew the answer to, but remembered a comment by one of the instructors and changed my answer. Oh well, I still passed!!!!

Have some pics before, during, and after class. I'll try to get Chris to get someone to put up for us. More details tomorrow after the finale!

AmbeR1
July 17th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Yay Cindy, congrats on completing the course!! It is great to see so many more women intereseted in the sport.

Don't worry so much about the weaving. Once you get set up on a bike with proper suspension and tires, it will ride like a dream! Doesn't your hubby have an extra bike or two to practice on? ;) :eek: :D

The Big Spank Daddy
July 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM
An extra bike or two, yes. To practice on, no.

I trouble shot the Seca II yesterday and indeed it does need new plug wires/coils. The Seca II will be Lainie and Cindy's "practice" bike.

Chatterbox
July 18th, 2004, 04:51 PM
WOO HOO!!!! YIPPEE!!!! PARTAY!!!!!!!!!! :D

Passed the course test today!!

Very stressful but fun and exciting day today!! I was more stressed and anxious than I realized. Apparently without realizing it, I was clenching my teeth and chewing on the insides of my cheeks. They're pretty sore right now, but a small price to pay to learn how to actually ride a bike instead of just sitting on the back.

Lessons got off to a good start - actually remembered what we learned yesterday. Courses were a little more difficult today, but we all handled them well.

It even poured a heavy, hard rain on us for a short time, lighter rain longer. The course kept puddles of water on it. So, we are all well learned in riding in the rain and stopping on a wet surface and in puddles!! :eek:

The "box" really isn't that bad, but if ever in that situation in real life - I'll just "power walk" the bike instead of having to worry about dropping it in such a tight U-turn! Yes, that's the chicken way out, but MY way! ;)

Believe it or not, I actually FINALLY got my lard butt off the seat and managed to maneuver over the "obstacle" - a 1x4. So much for the railroad tie like several people told me just to scare me before class. :rolleyes:

Lainie passed the course, too. WOO HOO!! Chris and I are both extremely proud of her for this cuz she doesn't even have a car license yet! She's never even driven anything with a clutch before yesterday. That says a lot about her skill.

Thank goodness I "beat" her on the written - and we tied on the course score. I don't think I would've ever lived that down. We'll both take the DPS written test this Friday - sure hope I beat or tie her score there. Teenage kids can be brutal when they score higher than their parent. :(

OK, DFW - Houston has women riders now!! I don't feel like such an oddball now, even if I still am. :D

[ July 18, 2004, 17:55: Message edited by: Chatterbox ]

rtbain
July 19th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Congratulations to everyone. Well done.

CalamariKid
July 19th, 2004, 05:01 AM
CONGRATS!!!

Chatterbox
July 19th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Thank you very much! :D

I'm sure Linda will post up today, but here are the other TSBA related class members:

Linda Tupper - the other 1/2 of "Jim Trimm and Linda Tupper" (owner of a Goldwing and on the prowl for a sport bike of her own)

Dodi Maxwell - Gary's wife (already has her bike picked out, just waiting for Gary to get off his "surgery bed" to pick it up)

Tammy Maxwell - Gary's sister

and of course,

Lainie Donnelly - Chris's daughter (brother Jeff passed down his Seca - just waiting on dad to replace the coils/wires, drain and clean the fuel tank, and fix her up to ride)

Me, well, I think Chris decided he would consider selling his FJ if I find something I want - BELIEVE IT OR NOT! :D

Paul Sonderfan
July 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Awesome! So when are ya'll going to show up on an SMR?

Chatterbox
July 19th, 2004, 11:08 AM
After MUCH, MUCH more practice!! :D