PDA

View Full Version : 40930....

Brian Montgomery
October 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM
That is how many miles a gixxer motor will last with my hands on the throttle. More details to come...Faaakkkkk! ...

Schreck
October 10th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Details.....please. tongue.gif

The Big Spank Daddy
October 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I've heard the gory details, the out come seems pleak. My prayers are with you Brian.

Mike Figley
October 10th, 2004, 09:47 PM
At least Ivan's towing service was riding in our group,and wasnt stuck on the side of the road. Sorry about Your GXR Brian!

[ October 11, 2004, 00:17: Message edited by: Mike Figley ]

Brian Montgomery
October 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Ok so here it goes...
So I change the oil religiously every 1000 miles. Seriously, I do...but When an engine wants to fail, it does it no matter what you have done. So here is how it all went down.

I was crusing along when our group came up on some squid on a sportbike without a helmet. We all started our move to pass him just like we would pass anyone...So I down shift and punch it the bike starts to go and I go to the next gear as I am climbing the hill when I start to hear a noise like my exhaust spring or some thing broke. But that wasn't it. I started losing power. I pulled the clutch in and rev'd the bike a few times but it was showing hesitation and the noise was growing. I then started pulling over sensing that I had just blown the motor. So I get pulled over and remove my earplugs and helmet to hear the damage. It was a spun bearing on what sounded like the #1 piston. (Far Left when on the bike) You could definintly hear the rod slapping around inside. So that is how she went out. I am guessing that the increased load of riding 2 up coupled with the hills pushed the motor to it's limits.

RIP Gixxer motor...for your days were numbered the moment I started you up.

CalamariKid
October 11th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian. So what is the prognosis, replace the engine or go with a new bike?

Brian Montgomery
October 11th, 2004, 12:52 PM
New Motor is going to be on the truck heading this was as soon as Paypal opens back up...

Pete
October 11th, 2004, 07:59 PM
That will ruin a ride. So let us know what kind of oil you run so we can avoid it. tongue.gif

Brian Montgomery
October 21st, 2004, 04:24 PM
Started removing the motor today and when I pulled the Throttle bodies I saw a preview of what damage has occured. Looks like the valve got slammed by the piston inside. The valve is broke and wedged in the seat.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bdmpastx/HeadDamage.jpg

Brian Montgomery
October 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
She Lives again!!! I am back on the road..too bad I have to go to IL. again.... :(

The Big Spank Daddy
October 22nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
That was quick! What's Geek's hold up?