PDA

View Full Version : EBC Brake Pads?

brianstephenson
October 12th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'm still trying to improve the braking performance of my ZX11. The thing stops like the Titanic. Is EBC the best way to go for a pad upgrade? If so, what flavor and where's the best place to buy them.

AaronEustace
October 12th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I like their 'HH' pads and I buy them from Andy at Metric Motorcycles since I can walk to his shop :D . 610 W. 27th (2 blocks South of 610N @ Shepard 713-334-8030).

If you buy them, take emery cloth to your rotors before installing to remove any old pad material.

brianstephenson
October 12th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks A. Assume he's competitive price wise for a pal-o-yours?

AaronEustace
October 12th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I think I found them for like $2 cheaper on-line without shipping :rolleyes: . In general they run about $35 per side...$70 for the front.

Well worth the money. Seriously, I about went over the bars the first time I mashed on them. I was so used to the stock garbage...

-=sean)=-
October 12th, 2004, 03:37 PM
There's a bunch of different factors that might be making your brakes weak or seem weak to you. I had a 97 ZX-11 and the stock brakes seemed fine for me for that period of sport-touring bikes. In fact, stock pads had some metal alloy, if I remember correctly, which is why they sometimes tended to squeak when they were glazed from overheating. The HH are Sintered copper alloy on the EBC, which is similar to the stock pads construction. The EBC are probably more effecient at stopping, but I think they'd need more time to get up to temp to brake effectively than the stock pads. (That's a big trade-off with street riding since you might need to make a sudden stop after riding 50 miles on the highway in cold weather.)

When and what is happening that you want to "upgrade" your pads? Maybe there's a better way to give you that stopping power.

AaronEustace
October 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by -=sean)=-:
Maybe there's a better way to give you that stopping power. You could always drag your shoes on the ground like Fred Flintstone. :D

Warren White
October 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I just switched to the EBC GFA pads for the front of my zx-11 they made a huge diffrence at the track. But like sean said there could be other issues at hand.

-=sean)=-
October 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by wd40oz:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -=sean)=-:
Maybe there's a better way to give you that stopping power. You could always drag your shoes on the ground like Fred Flintstone. :D </font>[/QUOTE]Just ask Squidimus Maximus (Clint) how his brakes feel on his brand new ZX-10R. You don't have it soo bad, I'm sure. ;)

VFRacer-R
October 12th, 2004, 07:05 PM
May be a good time for a "wrench-n-learn"...
Could be a good project for some of the more knowledgeable types to help with this problem.
Usually (key word) just changing pads will not fix the problem.

AaronEustace
October 13th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Brian,
Andy has your pads in stock for $32.50 per caliper. They are 'EBC FA158HH'. If you want you can come by on Saturday and we can install them, change out the brake fluid (I have plenty of fresh DOT4), disassemble and clean the calipers. That should take care of it. We'll probably do the above in reverse order listed :D .

The cheapest I found on-line was $30 from indysuperbikes.

Let me know.

[ October 13, 2004, 08:38: Message edited by: wd40oz ]

VFRacer-R
October 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by wd40oz:
Brian,
Andy has your pads in stock for $32.50 per caliper. They are 'EBC FA158HH'. If you want you can come by on Saturday and we can install them, change out the brake fluid (I have plenty of fresh DOT4), disassemble and clean the calipers. That should take care of it. We'll probably do the above in reverse order listed :D .

The cheapest I found on-line was $30 from indysuperbikes.

Let me know. Take him up on this- there is nothing like a good bleeding and cleaning to cure braking woes!

CarlT
October 13th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Take him up on this- there is nothing like a good bleeding and cleaning to cure braking woes! [/QB]Yep, works wonders. That alone will give a much better lever feel. Add in h-h pads and your brakes will be night and day.

brianstephenson
October 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks alot Aaron - that's an offer too good to refuse!