PDA

View Full Version : Dyno tuning in the Houston area?

rtbain
October 13th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Does anyone do dyno tuning in the Houston area? I prefer someone with an ega as I want to check the jetting on the SV.

Brian Montgomery
October 13th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Honda Of Houston has a dyno with a EGA O2 sensor.

VFRacer-R
October 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM
If money is an issue, you may want to avoid the full tuning from him- but Billy Weise is incredible at WRW Racing.
He is located in north west Houston, off 290. Not too far from you.

brianstephenson
October 13th, 2004, 01:14 PM
WRW Racing - 281-304-6767 - Billy's not cheap, but he'll do it right.

VFRacer-R
October 13th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Brian S:
WRW Racing - 281-304-6767 - Billy's not cheap, but he'll do it right. I think he charged ~$25 for a baseline run. Once you start tuning, the cost skyrockets from there. The thing about Billy is, he gets it right very quickly, which equates to less dyno time, and less costs to correct. His labor costs are very high- but for good reason.

gsalisbury
October 14th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Northwest Honda has a Dynojet 250 with Tuning Link interface and build cutom maps for all model bikes.

Brian Montgomery
October 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Too bad the SV is not fuel injected huh Gman?

AaronEustace
October 14th, 2004, 09:06 AM
He could have meant custom maps to points of interest, landmarks, national parks or lost treasure! 'X' marks the spot tongue.gif

Inlaw1
October 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Is Kevin Stasney still running K-S Cycles in Katy? Good man, and he used to tune Colin Edwards WERA bikes.

Kelly
October 14th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Kevin still runs KS. Last time I was in there he was talking about upgrading his dyno. He didn't have a sniffer on it at that time.
I usually take my toys to WRW.

rtbain
October 14th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I have an appointment with WRW Racing next Friday at 1200. Baseline run is $50.

Gawd help me, I do love to race. And working on race bikes is second only to riding them.

Thanks for the advice all!

VFRacer-R
October 18th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Gary Stoops:
Is Kevin Stasney still running K-S Cycles in Katy? Good man, and he used to tune Colin Edwards WERA bikes. Not to mention he is an a**hole.
He does a good job, if he knows you, and wants to, and if you pay him well enough (deeeeeeeep pockets).

Kelly
October 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I always got along ok with Kevin but he does hire mental midjets for helpers. They've screwed up more of my stuff than fixed. Hence my comment about taking my toys to Billy.

Warren White
October 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM
just keep telling yourself.

its just a track bike..... its just a track bike..... I love my wife more than the bike..... I love my wife more than the bike....

rtbain
October 19th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Warren White:
just keep telling yourself.

its just a track bike..... its just a track bike..... I love my wife more than the bike..... I love my wife more than the bike.... You think she will buy it?

rtbain
October 22nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Just got back from WRW Racing. Many thanks for recommending Billy. Very nice, knowledgeable man.

I also learned a great deal about dyno tuning. I have been reading up on the subject so as not to appear too stupid and at least knew the correct questions to ask.

My intent was to check carburetor settings. Back in the dark ages we had to reply on jet runs and plug readings. A very time consuming, subjective process.

In short dyno jetting freaking rocks! In one run you get four gas analysis at all the important rpm settings so carburetor effectiveness can be evaluated.

Billy prefers CO readings as a guide to proper jetting. This is a sometimes debated topic as others prefer O2, CO2 or HC (hydrocarbons). His sweet numbers are CO in the 5% range.

My run showed good carburetion through the range. The needle was a little fat but only by half a click. The main was also a bit fat. Iíll know more during winter teardown.

I have done jetting the old way and it can easily take all day, a hand full of plugs, and a complete jet kit. All very expensive. For $50 you get a baseline run and advice from an expert. If you are willing to do the work from there you have come out way ahead.

Horsepower curve was nice, no dips or peaks. The torque curve dipped slightly at 6K but was other wise smooth. So the pipe/cam/intake combination is good.

Now the only excuse I have is lack of ability. :rolleyes:

If you have put a pipe and a K&N on your bike consider doing a jet run. Its well worth the money and time.

[ October 22, 2004, 14:06: Message edited by: Randy Bain ]