View Full Version : slip on question..

October 17th, 2004, 07:27 PM
ok, I am thinkin of throwing a Stainless steel Highmount Yoshimura rs3 can on my 04 gsxr 1000..Am I gonna have to mount up a pc3 or a pc3r to the bike or will it be able to compensate by itself with out either one of them mounted?

October 17th, 2004, 11:27 PM
No motorcycle can "compensate" for a pipe with different characteristics other than a new BMW, which has a closed loop system. (Yes, I did just parrot off what Albie told me.) ;) tongue.gif Everything else, that mear mortals can afford has a fixed map and will work less well with a pipe not designed to work with that fixed map. Now, having said that, some slip-ons change the performance of the bike soo little that you'll notice a difference in the sound and add more vibration. The irony is the closer it is to a stock can, the more likely your stock map will work. ;)

Side note: Your stock midpipe comes with an exhaust valve and a motor to operate the valve. It keeps the bike operating smoothly at very low RPMs (practically at idle.) With the aftermarket can, you might need to remove the pullies that keep the valve almost closed when the throttle is closed. The valve's spring keeps it open by default without the intervention of the exhaust valve motor. Use one of the very knowledgeable members in the club to see if the new can needs to keep the valve open, basically if the bike runs rough or stalls at idle, but runs perfectly at about 3K or higher RPM. It's almost like someone had their boot on your exhaust pipe when the bike is running at idle. ;) Remove the motor completely will earn you an FI error code light, so you'll need to get creative. You'll need to leave the motor with its pulley, but disconnect it from the exhaust valve. I've not gone this far on mine, so it's possible that the motor will register an error if it can't find the stop points with no tension on the pulley.

To sum up, performance parts that are worth their money are not just plug & play.

Brian Montgomery
October 18th, 2004, 06:41 AM
You can in fact remove the Exhaust Valve pulley system. Some models require you to connect the wires and some require you to remove it from the PC plug. Both are easy solutions. Since I have a full TiForce system on my bike you can guess that the system is gone off of my bike.

On the note about mapping and such. While it is not neccesarily needed, I would recomend getting a power commander. It is nice to be able to make fuel changes. Yes, you can feel a difference. But I wouldn't spend money on a slip on. I would go full system if you are looking for exhaust power.

But then again, if you want to go faster, get the suspension reworked and get a rear shock.

If you are going for the poser factor of having a louder bike, a slip on is perfect for that.

October 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM
I say always make compensations to your fuel system anytime you alter the exhaust system.

October 18th, 2004, 11:31 PM
BTW, if you don't need your exhaust valve motor anymore, I could use one. ;) I've fixed mine by moving the gears to the part where the plastic gear isn't stripped, but I'd rather replace my unit with one that has good gears. It's a part I picked up along with a midpipe from an ebay purchase when fixing my bike. Something I couldn't detect in the pic was the crappy motor.

Brian Montgomery
October 19th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Sean, I got 2 of them sitting in my closet at home. I can bring one to the Dallas show next month.

October 19th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
I can bring one to the Dallas show next month. YES!!!