PDA

View Full Version : Need a Favor..

Pete
October 19th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Does anyone have a front stand I can borrow for a week or two? I need one of those that lifts from under the triple clamp so I can remove my forks (fork seals are leaking). I still can't ride but I think I can start turning some wrenches.

Brian Montgomery
October 19th, 2004, 06:54 AM
I think Randy has one that belongs to Les. You might have to get a different post for it though to fit your bike. Or you can do what I did and use wood to prop it up via the frame sliders.

I am still willing to help you on the rebuild. I am going to be in your home state all next week (leaving on Saturday morning) and I should be back the week after. So I could probably do it then.

Did you have luck getting any parts?

Leskerr
October 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Pete,

Randy has a Pit Bull standard front stand belonging to me.

You are welcome to borrow it.

I would check to see if you need to get an adaptor pin for the stand.

You could always get Randy to turn something out on the lathe.

rtbain
October 19th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Pete,

Give me a call and we'll work something out. Of course by now they are my stands. Squatter's rights.

Les,

Drop me a line. The girl needs to be made road worthy. If not I'll just take her to TWS on 30 October and see what happens.

VFRacer-R
October 19th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Randy Bain:
The girl needs to be made road worthy. Les/Randy, let me know if I can help out with this too, I would like to bring her to the house and give her a good bathing. I'll also do the PM stuff to her at my expense (not the Ximport PM :D )- like changing the oil and flushing other vital fluids (brake, coolant, chain cleaing/lube).

'Lemme know.

Pete
October 20th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks Les, I'll get with Randy and see if it'll work.

So far I've got a new upper and headlight bucket ready to be installed. Still need a left clip-on and the the plastic turn signal housing that attaches to it. Its a mofo to try and start without the choke lever. :mad: I also need a windscreen and a tail section but I can ride it with the cracked tail for the time being. What do I need to get for the forks? Just some new seals and fork oil?

rtbain
October 21st, 2004, 03:39 AM
Pete,

If they are regular forks, not upside down, I would be happy to help replace the seals if you like. We could do it in a few hours total.

The only "special tool" you are likely to need is an air wrench (be quite Warren) as its the easiest way to remove the bottom allen screw. If you donít have access to an air wrench you can put pressure on the valve assembly by having some pull (full extension) while extracting the screw.

The other way (a bit more hazardous) is to break the screw lose with the cap still on. The caution here is to only break the screw lose. There is a good bit of spring pressure while the cap is on.