PDA

View Full Version : MSR 7/26 Track Day Report

CalamariKid
July 27th, 2004, 09:28 AM
First off, the weather could not have been better, a true July miracle. 67 in the AM reaching a high of maybe 85 with low humidity. Plenty of cloud cover most of the day, a brief maybe 2 minute period of drizzle, but otherwise no precip.

I trailered up (thans Brian!) with a friend on his Duc 916. Went to pick up his bike on Sunday, whereupon he asked me to look at his rear tire to see if I thought it was OK. His cords looked great. :rolleyes: On top of that his chain was a rust belt. Serious Italian Art abuse. We took care of the chain and he got new rubber at Cresson (5 bills including the change).

Ran into a few of our Dallas compadres, Nicloe, Randy, Justin, and Amber. I ran in the C group and after the intial outing doing the round-robin the day was a lot of fun, but had me battling my foot pegs on every stinkin turn. I did everthing I could to try to compensate for my limited turning clearance, but always ended up on the pegs. One of the CMRA guys that was out there policing and Justin, who was corner working in the afternoon came up to me at the end of the day and told me they cringed watching me go through the turns b/c I was on my pegs every time and they just knew I was going to lose the bike. Somehow I kept it on two wheels all day, though a few times I had the rear wheel skipping out on me as the weight was put on the peg.

I felt great, felt like I could go a lot faster, just not on that bike. Took my buddies Duc out for a few laps and about $hit myself it was so much fun.

I was a lot faster and more confident this go round at the track. I really tried to work on line selection and body position to compensate for turning clearance, but came to the conclustion that a 600 is in my future for track days. :D

Two accidents at the track. :( One in the C group in the morning where a guy on a brand spankin' new R1000 lost it in the first of the 3 left handers leading up to Big Bend. He was OK. Then it the afternoon an A grouper went down coming out of Big Bend and was taken away in an Ambulance. I don't know what condition he is in, the track was shut down for about an hour and I believe he was down the whole time. I hear they did a neck brace and back board on him, but of course that does not mean anything. I did not see him go down, but being in the A group coming out of Big Bend he was probably cookin' pretty good. I hope he's OK.

I had fun, but batteling the pegs got old quick. Still it was a lot of fun to pass guys riding beautiful garage candy and $2K leathers on the Hell *****!

Jus10
July 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Great to see you again Charles. You were looking good out there. That bike was holding you back for sure. Everytime you'd come into my corner the right peg would make a grinding noise and sparks would shoot everywhere. I would cringe everytime. Make sure you email Hart so you can check out your pics. Even if you dont buy them you can check out your body positioning and see how far you were leaning that beast over.

Had a blast, cant wait to do it again! :cool:

AaronEustace
July 27th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Good review. Glad you had fun but am extremely jealous I didin't get to attend. I had 'jury duty' and they released us after 15 minutes :mad: ! Not that I wanted to be there or get picked but to blow up a whole day for 15 minutes?

Your buddy paid $500 for new rubber :eek: ,what did he get, Pirelli, Mich, etc..?

A 600 or an SV will be a dramatic improvement over the stealth bike. I say we talk Oscar into 'donating' the blue F3 for a Houston chapter track bike. He could rent it out for a nominal fee :D secured by a damage waiver. I'd rent it, it sure beats taking the mirrors off and taping up my lights every time tongue.gif .

VFRacer-R
July 27th, 2004, 11:05 AM
He paid $500 from Pete (at the track)? Or did he get tires in Cresson and have a shop put them on before getting to the track?

CalamariKid
July 27th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I think they were BT002's. Installation was $100, which means the tires must have been around $400. He got them at the track from the guy that does the leather rentals. I'm not saying he overpaid, but... ****.

But on the other hand, were it not for them selling tires out there, he would have been SOL.

Brian Montgomery
July 27th, 2004, 01:04 PM
That would have been Pat from Motorcycles Unlimited. Lots of people worship him and his service but I have always thought that he was overpriced personally. He now owns trackleather.com

AaronEustace
July 27th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Brian Montgomery:
That would have been Pat from Motorcycles Unlimited. Lots of people worship him and his service but I have always thought that he was overpriced personally. He now owns trackleather.com I prefer Andy at Metric Motorcycles. The guy is super nice and seems to really appreciate the business. He gave me a better deal on HH pads than I could find on the internet and bonus suspension advice for FREE smile.gif . Plus, (and I hope I'm not jinxing this) his new shop will be located right on my own street at the end of the block!!! Sweet Jeebus how cool is that? So, on just one block in the Heights we'll have a killer shop, one WERA national Champion and a real wanna-be/hanger-on (ME). I'd say our block could beat your block any day :D tongue.gif .

tankmonkey
July 27th, 2004, 01:24 PM
That would have been Pat from Motorcycles Unlimited. Lots of people worship him and his service but I have always thought that he was overpriced personally. He now owns trackleather.com I've used patrick over at motorcycles unlimited a couple of times now and I've got no complaints about pricing thus far.

fwiw, the bridgestone bt-002 is a full-on dot race tire. they are going to be expensive (online they are around $300 for a set), and especially so through a non-distributor at a track day. (hell, eximports charged me $200 for a single dunlop d207 at tws, and I took the rim off the bike.)

anyway, patrick usually charges $35 front and $37.50 rear for tire changes at his shop, unless you bring him the rims off the bike (in which case it's $10 for each), so around $100 for a full-service change at the track doesn't sound that unreasonable to me...

VFRacer-R
July 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I feel reasonably confident that Pete at South Central would have given you a HELLUVA lot better deal than that...
We don't pay near that for our race dot tires- granted we get them from him exclusively and at every race.

I though that Pete was supposed to be the sole vendor for tires at LSTD? How does MU sell them there too?
Besides, the BT002 is a Bridgestone- doesn't MU sell Pirrelli?

tankmonkey
July 27th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Boogity Boogity:
I feel reasonably confident that Pete at South Central would have given you a HELLUVA lot better deal than that...
We don't pay near that for our race dot tires- granted we get them from him exclusively and at every race.

I though that Pete was supposed to be the sole vendor for tires at LSTD? How does MU sell them there too?
Besides, the BT002 is a Bridgestone- doesn't MU sell Pirrelli? pete is a tire distributor and patrick is a bike shop owner who also happens to sell tires. that is a huge difference when it comes to pricing.

as far as I know, pete is the official tire vendor at lstd, but I don't know if that means he's also exclusive. maybe he couldn't make msr for this event?

I've bought metzelers through patrick, I've inquired about bridgestones through him, and I'm pretty sure I've seen dunlops on the shelf, so I imagine most brands are available through his shop. (fwiw, his prices on the sportec m-1s I needed were only $5-7 more than I found online at swmototire.com, which is where I usually get my tires.)

[ July 27, 2004, 15:34: Message edited by: Scott Martin ]

Brian Montgomery
July 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I guess I am just spoiled to getting rock bottom pricing...Cause Pat has the Met. M1 190/50/17r for $143.95 and that is his sale price. And I picked the same tire up at cyclegear cheaper than that. $135.00 is their non-sale price and I mount it myself for free. Perks of being a buddy of the manager I guess. That is the only reason why I think that he isn't that cheap. And at Discount Motorcycle tires in Pasadena they will give you the tire mounted and balanced for $150.00 cash total out the door price off the bike of course. On the bike, it is par for Pats price...Fronts are usually $100.00. But maybe for the average guy, Pat is cheap...especially if you live up there on the North side. Not too many discounters up there. but there is a Cyclegear at Greenspoint too. Oh well. At least he is no Stubbs Cycles...lol

tankmonkey
July 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I guess I am just spoiled to getting rock bottom pricing...Cause Pat has the Met. M1 190/50/17r for $143.95 and that is his sale price. And I picked the same tire up at cyclegear cheaper than that. $135.00 is their non-sale price and I mount it myself for free. Perks of being a buddy of the manager I guess. That is the only reason why I think that he isn't that cheap. And at Discount Motorcycle tires in Pasadena they will give you the tire mounted and balanced for $150.00 cash total out the door price off the bike of course. On the bike, it is par for Pats price...Fronts are usually $100.00. But maybe for the average guy, Pat is cheap...especially if you live up there on the North side. Not too many discounters up there. but there is a Cyclegear at Greenspoint too. Oh well. At least he is no Stubbs Cycles...lol since cyclegear.com lists the m-1 sportec (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=129&L2=130&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_110-13224_G) for $142.99 in the 190/50-r17 size, it sounds like you're getting a buddy deal to me, brian.

and the pricing between m/u and discount sounds like a wash (both about $150 mounted and balanced off the bike).

fwiw, swmototire.com has the tire for $130.95, but you have to buy 2 tires to get the free shipping and you'll have to mount/balance them yourself.

[ July 27, 2004, 16:42: Message edited by: Scott Martin ]

Brian Montgomery
July 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I guess the website prices are different than the store prices. I have seen that on other occasions with Cyclegear. But no I got a better price than that actually...lol. The $135 is what was marked on the tire when i bought it. Actually if you give them a resume and a race license, you get a substantual discount. Like 20% off most items. Sale items do not apply.

The Big Spank Daddy
July 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Maybe some day, I'll ride good enough to qualify to attend a track day without getting run over. Some day..... :rolleyes:

StuartR
July 29th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Hey Chris - I am signed up for my first track day on Sept. 6th ( Labor Day) at TWS with RideSmart. Why dont you think about that one and we can tear up Level 1 together! tongue.gif

AmbeR1
July 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Charles,

Thanks for coming by and saying Hi! Would have liked more time to visit but they keep the day running pretty quickly. It's hard to find time to check tire pressure!

We had a total blast, although I have run that track 3 other times it was always running clockwise so it was like a fresh new track to learn for me. I was feeling pretty good at the end of day and completed the prov. nov. CMRA license. Woohoo finished the mock race in 1st place :D , but I can't brag too much about placing 1 out of 2!! :confused:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you guys again. If anyone happens upon me at a track day I would appreciate any good advice you racers have to offer. Always looking to improve the skillz!

Next track day---MSR backwards on August 23 w/ LSTD. Anyone else going?

AaronEustace
July 29th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by AmbeR1:
Next track day---MSR backwards on August 23 w/ LSTD. Anyone else going? [/QB]Yup! All signed up for both 8/9-TWS and 8/23-MSR. Addicted?? What makes you say that? :rolleyes: