PDA

View Full Version : Open debate

VFRacer-R
October 22nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
I would like to have a TSBA "sponsored" bike. Stipulation would be 4 of the 5 possible team members would be TSBA members. The Houston TSBA would donate ~$400 to the team. In return, the bike would be painted in the RWB TSBA colors, with the appropriate stickers and patches on the riders.

The intent is to promote the TSBA, recruit new members, and to provide an information point for racers that may be interested in the club.

To be honest, I think it would benefit the club more positively than the race team. With new member recruitment, likely, we would accrue more money in new membership dues than the money we spend on the one set of tires the money would cover.

I think this is a positive step to promote the club, it doesn't affect wether I race or not- it would just be nice to represent, yo.

I will be selecting/recruiting possible new members for the race team, and will start with Houston applicants- prefference given to local boys (or girls).

The gate is open, tear it up yall!

rtbain
October 22nd, 2004, 06:06 PM
I think the concept is interesting. On the positive side it encourages riding fast on the track rather than the street. Racing (or track days) will improve rider skill. It would also improve name recognition in racing circles and might make some non-racers aware of the TSBA.

I have doubts about the efficacy for new member recruitment. How many spectators are at the races? How many of those would be interested in joining a sport bike club? Who is going to be front person trackside?

Itís been a long time since I was at a track so things may have changed. In the Stone Age most spectators tended to keep their distance from a teamís pit. While they may walk by and have a look there would have to be some mechanism established to encourage questions and recruitment.

I applaud your idea of building a Houston based team. Itís a great idea. Having a low pressure atmosphere and allowing fellow members to get seat time is the best possible answer to those who wish to explore and expand the limits of their abilities.

But sponsoring the bike is another issue. How much bang are we getting for the buck? I am playing devilís advocate here. Who gets the sponsorship money? I would say the stock SV with the most rear wheel horsepower. Just kidding of course but you see the problem.

I think the money would be better spent on:
1. Social activities (read parties).
2. Track day give away.

I would like to throw my hat in the ring for people who would like to ride the occasional endurance race. My efforts will be based on Tomís great model. A low pressure environment with the intent of getting track time and improving skills.

arpad
October 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
I like the idea! I want not to ride on public roads much anymore. I want to race on a track.

Schreck
October 24th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Wow! Great idea Tom if only our members were more active. I'd perfer siding exactly what Randy is bringing up....Who would really be interested in the Houston Chapter? Statewide now theres a concept to put on the table. MSF and Trackdays and tires ect. Parties TSBA Houston for now on spending....We actually saved money this year if I'm not mistaken.

Oskar_Z28
October 25th, 2004, 06:57 AM
As much as I would enjoy TSBA sponsorship, I think that this would not be fair to all members. There might be several teams that include TSBA members and if only one team got the sponsorship others might feel left out. I think that Tom is right that we need to have some kind of marketing tool to recruit some new members for the club. I noticed that recently there has not been that great of attendance to the SMRs, or meetings. I don't think that we might recruit that many new members from the races. I noticed that besides the racers and their support crews, I don't think that there are many spectators at CMRA races. Anyone know

[ October 25, 2004, 07:58: Message edited by: Oskar_Z28 ]

VFRacer-R
October 25th, 2004, 10:57 AM
While the intention is to have my bike be the "sponsored" one... it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.
I was going to use my bike simply because all of the members (and potential members) of next years team will all be TSBA members- and, I have the capability of doing the paint job (I currently have the R/W/B paint in stock).

To tell the truth, sponsorship of a race bike like I am proposing would normally cost in to the thousands of dollars. Meaning that if a team paints their entire bike in the color of the sponsor, plus the stickering and rider patches- that usually costs way more than the one set of tires I am proposing.

I personnally don't think that anyone would be slighted or jealous of my team being the team sponsor- $400 is a pitance of a sponsorship- like I said earlier it is one set of tires.

The spirit of this is to promote the club and entice new members to join.

Couple of things: 1 is that the only reason I say "Houston TSBA" is because I wanted to get some of our members in our area involved, but not exclude other chapters. I have had interest expressed from members of our chapter and other chapters in racing on this team- so that is not an issue. If the Houston moniker is a sticky point, then it can just be "TSBA" then.

2 I wasn't trying to encourage spectators to join, the intent was to encourage racers to join. Trust me, I know there are hardly any spectators out there. The exposure would be to the racers. The other exposure would be to the track day folks. I think the track day attendees would be more of the market anyway, but certainly the racers would be curious and probably interested.

Like I was saying, if it doesn't happend it won't matter at all to me. One set of tires for a race season is a very small drop in the bucket. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do for the club and maybe increase the interest.

We can certainly afford to do this, have raffles, have track day give-aways, and have plenty of parties.

The other thing I am working on is getting a local shop to allow us to have our wrench days in their shop, with their mechanic donating advice and expertise. The TSBA race bike would also be showcased in their showroom floor, so that persons coming to buy new motorcycles would see it, and be able to pick up information on the TSBA. The shop may also sell a TSBA-Houston chapter membership with every sportbike sold.

None of that would be worth doing if we didn't have a TSBA race bike to do it with.

Please, I am looking for more comments on this, put in you opinion. It is like I was saying, it won't hurt me in the least if this doesn't happen, I just think it would be nice to do for the club and I am willing to "supply" the race team to do it.
:D
Thanks!

Warren White
October 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I totally dig and agree with what you want to do Tommy, and it would be great for the club and get our name out there. The only thorn I see is that there are a few race teams in the Houston TSBA and are there feelings going to get hurt because one team gets the clubs money and the others don't. I agree that you are willing to do the most advertising and if it came to a vote I would vote to do it.

gsalisbury
November 15th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I am 100% against sponsoring someone elses racing efforts utilizing TSBA dues and to be quite frank it does not matter that some/all of the riders are TSBA members.

Club dues should be earmarked solely for benefit of the entire club, not just 5 members. It is my belief that if we have a surplus of $400 dollars there are many other ways to spend it so that everyone benefits, like additional tire changing equipment (and the consumable supplies like lube and weights that go with it), specialty tools, or training and instructional videos/books that can checked out by TSBA members.

VFRacer-R
November 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Good point Gordon, but we have plenty of money to do both, so why not?

gsalisbury
November 15th, 2004, 12:44 PM
because the reality is that there is no equitable way to support your race team and not support other TSBA member team or solo racing efforts.

[ November 15, 2004, 12:44: Message edited by: G-Man ]

VFRacer-R
November 15th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by G-Man:
because the reality is that there is no equitable way to support your race team and not support other TSBA member team or solo racing efforts. It's not mine Gordon. As far as I care, it can be any team in the organization. I volunteered mine with the intent that we could use it for promotional benefit- it really doesn't help my racing effort much at all. One set of tires is not much. As a matter of fact, as things shake out, there may be another team in the Houston Chapter that would be better suited to this anyway.
I'm glad you have given your input on this, I was about to bring this subject to the next meeting and adgenda.

It does seem like any time someone brings up a way to spend the money we have, and promote the club at the same time, there are those that shoot them down on the principle that it is wasteful. Let's face it, how many registered members are attending these parties (the only thing we spend money on, and it can't be alcohall...)? 10%? Seems that we can still have the parties- we have debated to exhaustion about getting an automatic tire changer and even manual ones- that always goes over like a fart in a phone booth. A video or book Member's library has never taken off, Randy usually has all that stuff and loans it out anyway...
How else do we spend the money?

AaronEustace
November 15th, 2004, 03:38 PM
[/QUOTE]How else do we spend the money? [/QUOTE]

Maybe the dues are too high. How about a 'tax break'? :rolleyes:

VFRacer-R
November 15th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by wd40oz:

Maybe the dues are too high. How about a 'tax break'? :rolleyes: Fine by me!

Pete
November 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
It was brought up at the last meeting and no one seemed to see much value in it, granted there was only like 10 people there. $400 is not much for a race team but its around half the clubs revenue. Youíll never be able to involve everyone on the use of the money but there are a lot of ways that would include more than 3 or 4 racers. Besides a party we could by everyones lunch at a meeting once and a while? Maybe use some to offset the hotel cost to go to one of the IBIís to try and get more people to go? Special tools and training to do things like valves or forks?

VFRacer-R
November 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Pete Strezo:
It was brought up at the last meeting and no one seemed to see much value in it, granted there was only like 10 people there. $400 is not much for a race team but its around half the clubs revenue. Youíll never be able to involve everyone on the use of the money but there are a lot of ways that would include more than 3 or 4 racers. Besides a party we could by everyones lunch at a meeting once and a while? Maybe use some to offset the hotel cost to go to one of the IBIís to try and get more people to go? Special tools and training to do things like valves or forks? Sound like great ideas to me.

Schreck
November 16th, 2004, 12:23 AM
That's fine with me as long as all the members agree on it. I really don't care how the money is spent but all the members need to vote. :D

gsalisbury
November 16th, 2004, 09:44 AM
How else do we spend the money? There are way too many ways that the money could be better spent to the benefit of the whole club or to drive new membership to list them all here.

FWIW, I don't believe that sponsoring any racing efforts will yield any appreciable results in increased membership with racers. Most racers don't street ride any appreciable amount and would not find any value in TSBA membership.

No, I believe that real value in garnering new membership is to partner with MSF instructors and offer discounted TSBA memberships (first year) for those that get their MSF certificates. Conversely, we might consider subsidizing a portion of current members' MSF course fees.

I also believe that partnering with local dealers to provide discounted 1st year dues to new motorcycle purchasers (primarily sportbike) would go along way to in the TSBA's charter to improve rider knowledge and safety.

Oskar_Z28
November 16th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Let's make this topic for discussion at the next meetig - "Ideas on how to gain more membership."

Paul Sonderfan
November 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Oskar_Z28:
Let's make this topic for discussion at the next meetig - "Ideas on how to gain more membership." The only problem with that is getting enough officers (not to mention members) to show up so we can have an offical meeting. Yea, that's a slam!

The Big Spank Daddy
November 17th, 2004, 01:41 PM
We had enough at the last meeting to have a quorum. As Pete said, it was brought up at the last meeting and unanimously voted down. The vote was not really official, more of a "Who's interested...". To quote what one member said, "Just ain't gonna happen...".

It was mentioned that the $$$$$ would be better spent on a raffle for a track day, tires, gear etc. or a Christmas party.

Speaking of............see Tony's new thread.