PDA

View Full Version : 10/24/04 SMR Ride Report

arpad
October 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Does'nt look like anyone rode today so I thought I'd post my experience with today's ride. 10:30am at Sealy for breakfast. Decided to ride the route counter-clockwise today. Jacob was my wingman today on his "919" and I rode a trade-in, SV650S.

How do I put this...
we were speed-trapped on 311 by Austin County sheriffs deputies. Mindin our own business, "cruisin" at whatever speed we were doing. We were singled out of all the other traffic in the area, stopped, and alleged to be doing 80mph in a 60mph zone. He claimed to have radared both of us. What i questioned was how he could get both of us when, when we saw him he was facing his car "away" from us. Well, I never will win any arguement with a peace officer when under his authority and jurisdiction, I am guilty until I pay my fine. I have a comercial license and am not priviledged to opt for a safety course of deferred adjudication. I can only plea guilty or not and or pay the fine. It stinks. Needless to say this officer's job and mine directly conflict with one another and we will never be friends... smile.gif

Although our asses hurt, we tried to forget our proctal exam and continue with our plan for the day. We managed to avoid any other law enforcement intimacy for the rest of the day. I have been distracted from riding for two months now, (life has a way of doing that) and am sorry to miss you guys for rides these last couple of months. Hope all is well with you all.

[ October 24, 2004, 16:52: Message edited by: Schoffer ]

Paul Sonderfan
October 24th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Arpad, if you were riding a copper colored SV, we saw you while we were filling up in Sealy. We waved at 2 riders going north through Sealy and the first one looked like you. 4 of us (Volker, Oskar, and the guy on the Blackbird, sorry, terrible with names) left the JIB at the appointed time and fought the fog/mist all the way to Fayetville. I was glad my new Held gloves have the "finger squegee". The only "near incident" we had was some cow dodging on racer road. I guess it was too wet and miserable for any LEO's to be out on our route. After breakfast we picked up Larry and Robert in Fayetville, reversed the route, then took 362 to 1488 and then the back roads into the Champions area. Dry roads all the way back and no "tax collectors". Larry and Robert asked where all of our group has been lately,....Good question. Anyone going riding NEXT week?

Brian Montgomery
October 24th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Well, to answer the questions about where our group has been lately.....
Racing one weekend, Hill country the next...and you guys doing a northern route. If you get down to it, there really isn't a whole lot of regulars that ride and other things tend to take over. Not to mention the bad weather the month before.

On another note, I do have my motor back in the bike and I rode it Friday after installing it. I got about 120miles on it now. So when I get back in town, I should be on the SMRs soon enough.

As for the added Leos, It happens every year like clock work. When the weather gets nicer, they come out in top force. Turkey Day is coming up and I would expect to see even more tax collectors on the roads. Arpad, even though you have a commercial lic. I would still ask to either take deferred or the drivers safety course. Just explain to the judge. They can still approve it. After all, it is their court.

On another note, I am glad that you guys had some fun today. I wish I was there riding myself. The weather in KY is beautiful 72 degf, clear skies. Too bad I didn't take the bike with me.

The Big Spank Daddy
October 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I was out last week, riding both Saturday and Sunday. This week I was doing maintenance.

Valve adjustment, plugs, carb synch and a good clean and wax on the Bandit. This week and maybe into next weekend the same for the GPZ. Valve adj on the Bandit is a simple screw type adjuster, no problem. The GPZ however, may require cam removal. :mad: Also I did a front brake job on the GPZ last Saturday night. Had to glass bead the calipers. I need to get them painted with some of that trick caliper paint.

Brian, cam chain looked fine on the Bandit. Not sure what all that noise is. One thing though, the plugs were loose. Maybe a bit of exhaust leak noise. A couple valves loose and a couple too tight. The #3 and #4 carbs were way out of synch as well as the left and right pairs. Seems a little more quiet, but maybe just my imagination/wishful thinking.

[ October 24, 2004, 19:18: Message edited by: Big Spank Daddy ]

Brian Montgomery
October 24th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Loose plugs can make the valve type noise too. My old CBR had a loose plug and I thought it was a valve or exhaust gasket..it ended up shooting the plug out and stripping the threads...Boy I was pissed...I had to remove the head and put an insert in it.

TFox
October 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM
[very sorry to interrupt - this is not a hijacking]

Chris Donnelly: you have a Private Message!

Thanks,
Tommy

The Big Spank Daddy
October 27th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Got it, thanks.

arpad
October 28th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Paul, I wish we had stopped and greeted.

Brian, thanks for the advice. I want to make an effort to attend a track day. I am tired of public roads and their hazzards and tax collectors.