PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has spanner/hook wrench for head berings?

Oskar_Z28
October 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Anoyone got one I can borrow this weekend or even today. My R1 really needs head bearings adjusted. I though it was suspension problem, but narrowed it down to steering. Anyone?

Pete
October 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Scared to utilize the hammer and centerpunch procedure?

Oskar_Z28
October 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but that nut is aluminum and would get destroyed easily.

FYI, I found a set of 4 different size spanner wrenches at Harbor Freight for $16.

The Big Spank Daddy
October 31st, 2004, 05:47 AM
I got the ones from Harbor Freight, too thick so they will not work. I have some Snap-On "pin" types if you want to try them. I use the punch method though. However, all I have is some old crappy bikes, so who cares?

Oskar_Z28
October 31st, 2004, 12:28 PM
On the R1, you need to pull the upper triple clamp for adjustemnt, so the ones from Harbor work fine.

Chris Chadwell
November 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
On my R6, I used the hammer and punch method. There was no scarring of the nut at all. Although one track day later, it seems to me loose again... [/Scratches Head]

Anyone know why that happens. I clamped it down good with the second nut, and put the little holder thingy on correctly.

Oskar_Z28
November 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
The yamaha has this ghetto style lock nut arrangement, at least the R1 does. It uses a rubber washer between the nuts and then a washer on top that aligns the two nuts together. I don't think this kind of arrangement works good as locking type.

The procedure for tightening the steering head was this:

* Take the upper triple off.
* Take off the upper washer, nut, and the rubber.
* Tighten the lower nut to 36.5 ft-lbs (I think this seats the bearings better, and I doubt this is achievable with the screwdriver and punch method).
* Loosen the nut completely.
* Retighten the nut to 6.5 ft-lbs.
* Install the rubber, upper nut, and upper washer.
* Reinstall triple, tighten nut to 85 ft-lbs.
* Check stuff.