PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment?

brianstephenson
November 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Hadn't been paying attention, but was just alerted that my ZX11 calls for a valve adjust every 6k miles. How important is this to do and does it need to be done that often? Signed, Mr. Non-Wrench Boyee.

Kelly
November 13th, 2004, 04:50 AM
The 6k recommendation is a guideline. On a new or 'under warranty bike' I think it would be more important. On ZX11's the gap has a tendancy to close as oppose to open. As bikes get more mileage on them the valve train gets itself sorted and the interval can be lengthened somewhat. I personnally err to the side of paranoia and check them every 6k. The first time can be a pain in the arse as you need to map all the shim / gaps. After that though it's basically maintenance.

rtbain
November 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM
One thing to add. As the clearances begin to tighten (smaller) the valve may not close all the way. This can lead to burning on the valve and seat. An expensive thing to correct as it involves removing the head.

Valves and chains are better left a bit loose rather than a bit tight.

Warren White
November 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I say we add valve adjustments for ZX-11's to the upcoming wrench fest as my ZX-11 needs to have it done also.

The Big Spank Daddy
November 18th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Has anyone read the SM? Mine says you have to disconect a radiator hose to get the cover off. My engine is the same as a ZX11 (matter of fact the actual Kawi designation for the GPZ is ZX1100E).

If your considering spark plugs, shop around. Mine where $13 each at AJ Foyt. I complained and they cut the price to $8 each.

[ November 18, 2004, 19:26: Message edited by: Big Spank Daddy ]

Kelly
November 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
The heads are somwhat different from GPZ to ZX. No need to pull rad hose on ZX-11. If the factory emissions plumbing is still present it will need to removed for access. Carbs also have to come up and be swung off to the side to get throttle cables out of the way.

brianstephenson
November 19th, 2004, 02:30 PM
"I say we add valve adjustments for ZX-11's to the upcoming wrench fest as my ZX-11 needs to have it done also."

--------------------
Warren

Great idea, Warren. I'll gladly be the donut/coffee/pizza/beer....(well, beer after my bikes done) etc. gofer boyeee and wrench as directed by someone who knows what they are doing!

Warren White
November 19th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I don't mind turning the wrenchs (no air tools or Randy may beat me with them) But like you I want someone looking over my shoulder to tell me what to do. I have the Service Manual on my computer at home but do not have a hard copy of it.

Kelly
November 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I can drag a Kaw shop manual along. I have some charts made up for mapping shims as well. Lemme know when / where.